NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Brad Green

Default OT.... Grave Site of Lefty Grove (and Other Major League Ball Players)

I took my boys to see the grave of Lefty Grove today. Lefty is buried in Frostburg, MD. I have attached a few pictures below. Lefty was my cousin and is theirs as well. Lefty and I were both born in the same small town of Lonaconing, MD.

Lefty's is the only grave of a baseball player that I have seen. If you have been to the grave of some other ball players and have pictures, please share them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000684.jpg (78.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000683.jpg (78.2 KB, 381 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM

Brad,

You and the other members might like the following site called the Deadball Era. I am not trying to be macabre, but it deals with deceased major league players and has a baseball card section:

http://www.thedeadballera.com/
Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Fyi

Two interesting websites related to this post are:

http://www.findagrave.com/
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Overlapping Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Brad,

You and the other members might like the following site called the Deadball Era. I am not trying to be macabre, but it deals with deceased major league players and has a baseball card section:

Brian:

Another example of great minds thinking alike!

Kevin

Last edited by kkkkandp; 09-30-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
David McDonald

Hiya Brad-
So those are your boys, eh. Good looking young fellows.
After the recent Baltimore National I visited Gettysburg and was treated to a terrific battlefield tour by Jay Wolt. The next day I shot up to Lewisburg specifically to visit Christy Mathewson's grave. I even considered heading to NE Penna to see Joe Wood's resting place as well but had an early flight the next day and couldn't bring it off.
Thanks for breakfast in Baltimore, amigo. It was good to see you again.
David McD.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Hiya Brad-
So those are your boys, eh. Good looking young fellows.
After the recent Baltimore National I visited Gettysburg and was treated to a terrific battlefield tour by Jay Wolt. The next day I shot up to Lewisburg specifically to visit Christy Mathewson's grave. I even considered heading to NE Penna to see Joe Wood's resting place as well but had an early flight the next day and couldn't bring it off.
Thanks for breakfast in Baltimore, amigo. It was good to see you again.
David McD.
Those are neat pictures of Matty's grave. Thanks for sharing.

Yes... Those are my boys. Wesley is wearing the blue sweatshirt and Austin is wearing the green sweatshirt. Wesley is a very good pitcher himself!

After I took the pictures of the boys, my daughter Erin also wanted her picture taken. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000685.jpg (77.9 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000686.jpg (78.0 KB, 352 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Brad,

Great thread and a great looking family!

Do you have any closeups of the Lefty plaque?

Greg
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Brad,

Great thread and a great looking family!

Do you have any closeups of the Lefty plaque?

Greg
Thanks! And Yes, I have close-ups of the plaque. I took these pictures a few years ago....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6273.jpg (77.7 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6274.jpg (79.1 KB, 325 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Zach Wheat

Not my pics, but off of www.findagrave as previously mentioned (of which I am a contributor) of Zach Wheat in Forest Hill Cemetery, Kansas City, MO. Grandfathers going back 4 generations were brothers; his half of the family went to southern IL and my half went to northern IL.

Z Wheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zach Wheat Grave.jpg (70.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Zach Wheat 3.jpg (34.8 KB, 240 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Bob Pomilla

Some may find this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ4GB9OeS28
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 AM
John

I'm headed to NE Georgia on business today. I have Royston programmed on my GPS.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Interesting site. Going through trying to see who's near me in Texas and see that they have Mickey Mantle in Dallas, Rogers Hornsby in Austin, Tris Speaker in Hubbard, and Charles "Charlie" Neal right here in Longview. Definitely will have to visit that site soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Brad,

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
And.rew Whi.te

As odd as going to gravesites of people that one has never met seems to me, there is something strangely interesting about it.

I think it would be kinda cool to have members of these boards check out various burial sites and show pictures of famous or infamous people who are buried near their homes. I know, near me I have various members of the Bailey's of the Barnum and Bailey circus burried in a little, out of the way cemetary.

I also live not too far from Watertown, Wisconsin which is the birthplace of Fred Merkle. While he is not buried there, the town has erected a small monument to him. There is also a town where my inlaws are from in Northern Illinois where former Cubs pitcher, Carl Lundgren is buried. I would be willing to go out and take some pictures of these and other sites.

As I said this is a bit weird yet interesting to me and I know my wife will look at me like I am crazy when I tell her what I am going to do but hey, it is something to do on a Saturday......right? LOL
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Bobw

Default Lou Gehrig

My father is buried near Lou Gehrig in Kensico Cemetary in Valhalla, NY.
We visit Lou's grave when we visit my Dad's. People are always leaving baseballs and Yankee caps behind.

I think most cemeteries have a map of where all the famous people are buried.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Funny and true story for you. I went to school at Bucknell in Lewisburg. The cemetery where Christy is buried is located on route 15 (i think its 15) between the school and where all the seniors lived. One Saturday night in 1983 a "friend" of mine knocks on the door at 3 am (way too much to drink). She tried cutting across one of the dirt roads that led through the cemetary to route 15 in her car and drove into a partially dug grave. We get 4-5 friends and tried to lift/push the car out. 30 minutes later we're sitting in the Lewisburg police station with a lot of "splaining" to do.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
As I reminded David before & since, on our trip into Gettysburg we ate at Eddie Plank's restaurant. (Not his joint specifically as he died in 1926)
He was buried across the street in Evergreen Cemetery past the soldiers grave sites. A mere 100 yards or so from where we ate.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Andy Broome

Default Gehrig at Kensico

Got to briefly visit Kensico Cemetery during a trip to the East Coast National in White Plains.
I have been to other cemeteries to visit graves but I have never seen one with a tourist map and recorded tour. Kensico has color maps printed and famous graves are tagged with a metal sign. They even have a pre-recorded cellphone guide!
I was able to visit Gehrig's grave and the grave of New Yorker cartoonist Peter Arno. I understand Ruth is buried not far away from Kensico. Maybe next time.
There were baseballs and gloves left on Gehrig's grave but the most disturbing thing left behind was a Starting Lineup figure of Gehrig! Those damn plastic things haunt everyone!

Andy

gehrig.jpg
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Paul C.

This photo of James O'Rourke's headstone was taken on September 1st 2005, which marked the 155th anniversary of his birth (born 9-1-1850). O'Rourke is buried in St. Michael's Cemetery in Stratford, CT. (Section 2 Lot 10). Pictured is my daughter Kelly, who is a great-great-great granddaughter of the Orator. O'Rourke played 7 years for Boston from 1873-1878, and 1880, hence the Boston cap.

The headstone can be located by turning from Stratford Ave (where the "A" is pictured on the map) onto St. Augustine Ave (which is the vertical road through the middle of the cemetery). The O'Rourke headstone can be see on the left side of St. Augustine Ave soon after you turn in, and is close to the road. If you continue driving to the next intersection which is St. James Ave. (also within the cemetery) you've gone too far. The address of St. Michael's Cemetery is 2205 Stratford Ave, Stratford CT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-1-2005-O'R-155th!!-bday!,-1.jpg (76.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Cemetery-map-of-St.!!!!.jpg (76.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
As odd as going to gravesites of people that one has never met seems to me, there is something strangely interesting about it.

As I said this is a bit weird yet interesting to me and I know my wife will look at me like I am crazy when I tell her what I am going to do but hey, it is something to do on a Saturday......right? LOL
Andrew - I guess I see this a tad differently, I think its very respectful and can also be a way to teach the younger generation values, history and possibly some perspective.
I wanted to see JFK in Arlington very much even though he was killed prior to my birth. I viewed this as respect for the man, his family and the stamp he left on our nation. You can make an argument that these ball players are somewhat similar. This forum shows huge amounts of respect for the older ball players. One day I would love to see the site of L Gehrig and J Robinson. These ball players have also left a stamp on our nation to certain degrees. I wish I had some pics to share.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Al

Default players graves

Here is Babe Ruths. He is resting at Gates Of Heaven Cemetery Hawthorne N.Y. I was there a long time ago.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 03-10-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
As I reminded David before & since, on our trip into Gettysburg we ate at Eddie Plank's restaurant. (Not his joint specifically as he died in 1926)
He was buried across the street in Evergreen Cemetery past the soldiers grave sites. A mere 100 yards or so from where we ate.
Next visit for sure, Jay. Am already jonesing for a hot dog at Ernie's.
Alexander Cartwright is buried in Oahu Cemetery in Honolulu. Twenty years living there and I never took a minute to visit his gravesite. Next time, and am always jonesing for local kine grinds.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Charlie Neal

So this thread sparked a little project for me yesterday to find the grave site of Charlie Neal who is buried where I live in Longview, Texas.

If you'd like to read the story, you can find it at www.varsitycollectibles.com

Here is a picture of Charlie's headstone.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Andrew - I guess I see this a tad differently, I think its very respectful and can also be a way to teach the younger generation values, history and possibly some perspective.
I wanted to see JFK in Arlington very much even though he was killed prior to my birth. I viewed this as respect for the man, his family and the stamp he left on our nation. You can make an argument that these ball players are somewhat similar. This forum shows huge amounts of respect for the older ball players. One day I would love to see the site of L Gehrig and J Robinson. These ball players have also left a stamp on our nation to certain degrees. I wish I had some pics to share.
You know Steven, I think you may be right. Visiting their gravesites and showing these players from eras that have passed is a way to keep their memory alive. While I think there would still be a bit of "uncomfortableness" when visiting a grave site for me, I guess I have to keep it in perspective in that I am paying homage and respect to these men and will insure that at least for one day....they were not forgotten.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsitycollectibles View Post
So this thread sparked a little project for me yesterday to find the grave site of Charlie Neal who is buried where I live in Longview, Texas.

If you'd like to read the story, you can find it at www.varsitycollectibles.com
That's neat! Thanks for the picture and the story!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

This thread reminded me of MN SABR member Stew Thornley. He has been to grave site of ever deceased member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

http://stewthornley.net/#Graveyard
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM
pariah1107

Not exactly on topic, but I travelled to Ravensdale, Washington because I had heard the cemetery there had been desecrated in the 1960's, when the former coal mining town was all but abandoned. The graveyard is still in a sad state of disrepair, reclaimed by the Cascade wilderness decades ago.

Tried to find Jack Muncie's grave site, he was Jimmy Claxtons' former coach in Ravensdale 1910-13. The first coach to integrate the local, Coal Miners League. Claxton began his career as a catcher for the local nine. Muncie was tragically killed in a mining accident in November 1915 along with thirty others. Many of them prominent town members listed in link below.

I could not locate it, and was heartbroken to see the sarcophagi of others spread around the heavily wooded area. Absolutely horrible, if you know of at risk sites please volunteer the time to assist in the preservation of history.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CD8Q9QEwCQ