NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Tape effect on dimensions? 1933 Goudey Ruth #144

Hey more knowledgable than me vintage collectors. I am brand new here, referred from a post I made on another site. I hope you can help me out. I am wondering if tape leads to warping of cards with time? I know in physics that if unequal forces are placed on an object it becomes warped with time due to constant temperature changes (like a bridge) I bought a 1933 Goudey Ruth #144. It has tape on 3 sides, I purchased the card cheap (well $1500 cheap) because it was one of the finest PSA Trimmed I had seen. The place I ordered from insisted it wasn't trimmed- I didn't care either way. Now the good stuff so I'm a scientist and like to test things so wanted to see if there was a truth to the sellers statement.

I noticed some peculiarities

1. Dimensions - Pass

2. Edges - Slight waving - Fail

a. BUT the concave/convex patterning on the outside of the card matches perfectly to the inside of the card where Babe Ruth image is. There is an overall concave retraction near the center of the card. There are multiple examples of this on the top and bottom and even sides.

3. I have examined the card under a light microscope in my lab (the best I could being in a case) and...

a. there were no obvious indentations associated with pressure from a scalpel or razor.

b. the fibers at the edge of the card remain a constant color and natural appearance, there is no abrupt fiber cuts or altered coloration that would be expected with trimming

Now the blegh...

I contacted PSA and unfortunately found out they don't do ACTUAL card verification to determine trimming. Their protocol is to only measure dimensions and look for straightness of edge. It actually seems like a whole lotta BS to me when you're talking about the difference of thousands of dollars in a card value. I am not putting much more faith in SGC to put in any effort either. Is there any process you can go through to get a company to really inspect a card and validate if it is trimmed? And final reminder does tape cause warping like I think? Thanks guys!

I think it's really sad if this would be one of many cases where cards are improperly marked trimmed simply cause the edge isn't straight do to very minor warping And heck maybe I'm just wrong and it is trimmed

Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't think that little bit of tape would do that to the card. If the entire edge was wrapped and the tape shrunk before the adhesive dried out maybe.

What it probably is is a card that's been wet and had the corners rolled thinner and larger then trimmed back to the correct size.
If that was done without leaving any obvious trace on the edges it's a really well done trimming.
I'd bet that if the card was out of the holder the edges and especially corners would be thinner.

Still a great looking card.

Steve B