NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Maybe there can be a screening thread where people post cards they'd like to be included in the pick-ups thread. If Barry deems a card worthy, it can then be posted in the pick-ups thread.
Good plan Rob, well thought out.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Brian Marshall

I think the single pick-up thread for the month is what encouraged me to branch out beyond the T206 cards that brought me to the board. It was the T206s that I wanted to collect since childhood that brought me back into the hobby and seeing all the different cards encouraged me to branch out more and purchase those caramel cards, newspaper supplements and non-American Tobacco Company T cards. And I suspect that I am not alone in this, even though I initially looked to the pickup thread to see other T206s.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 AM
pete ullman

What this country(board) needs is more segregation!

As much as T206 bores me...I respect most of those who collect it...and I look forward to seeing everyone's monthly aquisitions. There in no way should be more than 1 monthly pick up thread...unless of course the first one gets so lengthy that a 2nd is necessary?!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-04-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Good plan Rob, well thought out.
Rob was probably just joking with you - I've never known him to say anything mean to anyone.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Personally I think this is a ridiculous topic of discussion.
JimB
I couldn't agree more Jim. +1
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
I couldn't agree more Jim. +1
I find it sort of ironic that those that don't want to debate something are giving their opinions.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I find it sort of ironic that those that don't want to debate something are giving their opinions.
There is really nothing to debate Leon. How much dialogue can one actually add to your header in this thread which states "two pick up threads?" It's either yay or nay. I'm nay for the record!! Nothing more to add than that and still am in agreement with Jim that this is a ridiculous topic of discussion.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
There is really nothing to debate Leon. How much dialogue can one actually add to your header in this thread which states "two pick up threads?" It's either yay or nay. I'm nay for the record!! Nothing more to add than that and still am in agreement with Jim that this is a ridiculous topic of discussion.
Yeap, and I am still finding it ironic that you don't want to debate it yet gave your opinion on it (again). For the record I was NAY on it too. I like having it all in one thread but since someone brought it up I figured we could get some thoughts on it. Thanks for yours. I appreciate the open dialogue and debate (even though it was ridiculous, silly me).
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeap, and I am still finding it ironic that you don't want to debate it yet gave your opinion on it (again). For the record I was NAY on it too. I like having it all in one thread but since someone brought it up I figured we could get some thoughts on it. Thanks for yours. I appreciate the open dialogue and debate (even though it was ridiculous, silly me).
Leon you have a great day!! Keep fighting the good fight!!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon you have a great day!! Keep fighting the good fight!!
Happy Collecting!!

Last edited by Leon; 10-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Joann

I think it's too easy and maybe a little intellectually dishonest to try to bust Barry's opinion by accusing him of being classist or elitist. His suggestion was not about the collectors or the cards. It was about the thread.

There is a reason people look forward to getting REA's catalogs and are so amazed by them every year - it's alway an eye-popping collection of cool and unusual and beautiful cards, memorabilia and the like. That doesn't make the catalog elitist and does not mean that T206 commons are crap or T206 commons collectors are lesser collectors. It just means that images of really great specimens of this hobby, when compiled into one place, can be an amazing thing to look at.

Even in this forum people love the REA and Legendary and similar high-end auction pickup threads. Comments always include people saying how amazing it is to see so many great images of cool cards in one place.

So one can disagree with Barry and say that a Net54 pick up thread should be about all pick ups - an opinion I happen to hold just becuase of its practibility and manageability and so you don't miss anything. But his suggestion to try to increase the "wow factor" of the monthly pickup thread is just as valid as any other approach and should not be shouted down with inflammatory and superficial rhetoric about elitism that does not even survive the barest amount of critical thought. At least most disagreers were respectful and simply gave reasons for having a different opinon.

J