NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Anybody seen Lone Survivor yet?

What an awesome movie, one of the best I've ever seen. The entire theater applauded at the end.

Thank God for our service men and women!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I heard on the radio this morning that it was the number one movie this weekend at the box office. I'm the only Net54er to see it?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I saw it.....at least the first half....didn't like what I saw, and had no interest in watching the whole movie. Well I guess that's what makes the world go round..one mans trash is anothers treasure. Strange cause I like Marky Mark as an actor too. Huckabees and the departed. etc etc....he is one of my favorite actors....just didn't like "Lone Survivor" at all.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Default And Read the Book !!

Afternoon,

Saw the Movie with my teenage son yesterday...Awesome movie! Only quibble is the last 10 minutes or so was not accurate, was hollywooded up for effect...real ending was just as dramatic and would have ended story with context and historical accuracy that would have taken some better explaining than the paragraph about the pushtin custom. As usual Hollywood assumes were too stupid to be explained the whole story!!

Anyway Great Movie and thanks for all who have served!!!

Neil
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Richard Simon

I have seen it.
Terrific movie, I recommend it to all.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I saw it.....at least the first half....didn't like what I saw, and had no interest in watching the whole movie. Well I guess that's what makes the world go round..one mans trash is anothers treasure. Strange cause I like Marky Mark as an actor too. Huckabees and the departed. etc etc....he is one of my favorite actors....just didn't like "Lone Survivor" at all.
Don't feel bad, I felt that way when I watched "Zero Dark Thirty". That movie didn't do it for me, for many reasons I won't get into- except for one- I may be alone on this, but it disturbs me when they keep saying "the homeland".....it reminds me of someone else who referred to his country as "the homeland" during WW2.......

As far as Lone Survivor, haven't seen it yet but I do plan to. And, I also have the utmost respect for anyone willing to fight for our Country.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Interesting review.....http://news.yahoo.com/myth-reality-l...-politics.html
Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Just saw it and was very disappointed by the final third of the movie. I haven't read his book, but know enough about his story/60 Minutes interview/etc, to know the end was total Hollywood BS. I then read the review posted by David and now see there were many more flaws earlier in the film.

A movie will never fully re-create an event, but when it attempts to tell the very recent real life story of this group of men, and sells itself as such, it should maintain a much higher level of accuracy (otherwise, just make a fictionalization based loosely on real events). The real life story is very compelling too.. why not tell that version?? No idea why they needed to take it overboard, but as was the case with a movie like Argo where they needed to add a car chasing a plane (after what had been a very good movie!!!), Hollywood thinks audiences need a lame and formulaic action sequence as a climax... almost insulting.

That said, I have full respect and appreciation for all who've served, including my father.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The main character (Marcus Luttrell) is from here in Houston and did several morning radio show interviews the week before and during the premier. One of the questions the DJs asked him was how accurate the story was based on the real life accounts. He said they were identical. Now, I did not hear this, my wife told me about it ass she heard it on the radio (on multiple stations), but I don't think she would make that up. I do know (and did hear) that Donnie Wahlberg was insistent on getting everything in the movie to as close at it was in real life.

For those that say the movie didn't follow the actual story, please specify what part and what is your source of information?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
For those that say the movie didn't follow the actual story, please specify what part and what is your source of information?
There was absolutely no gun battle in the village at the end. Don't want to spoil it, but most of those dramatic action elements shown at the movie's end did not happen. He was aided by a local and taken to a village. The enemy fighters did find him in the village, but the villagers were able to protect him and send them away without any violence. When the Army Rangers arrived several days later, there was no fight. They were able to sit down and have tea with the villagers.. no Apaches firing away at Taliban fighters, no defibrillators, etc. The link in David's post explains more... and Luttrell's book details (differences) even further.

I know Luttrell was very involved in the film's making, but suspect that was mainly from a technical and character standpoint... and maybe less relating to how the studio would tell the overall story. Who knows, maybe even the director (Peter Berg) wanted to tell it straight, but regardless, someone very Hollywood hijacked the end.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Pete Sycks

Saw it a couple days ago, great movie. It really puts you in their shoes of what you'd do in those situations. Thanks to all of those who serve and keep our country safe.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Just saw it- Compelling story, i wonder what i would do. Hindsight is 20/20 but thats some desition to be confronted with, when the goat hearder shows up
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-03-2014 at 09:01 PM.