NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Rob

Looks fine to me. I collect the fronts whether they have the ad or not. Is it skinned? Sending it to a tpg would not change my opinion,although seeing it in hand might. Why would someone make a "fantasy card" of Toole?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buchneradfront717.jpg (65.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg buchneradfrontb718.jpg (51.9 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg buchneresterbrook014.jpg (74.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg buchneresterbrookb015.jpg (64.2 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg buchnergillespie716.jpg (57.2 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg buchnergillespieb719.jpg (48.6 KB, 330 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Ok I will keep this simple 4 easy question1-Do you have any other players with same pose as posted? 2-Any other Brooklyn players without the pinstripes ? 3- Ever seen this player on an Ad for gold coins? 4-Backs of any of your ad cards look like card posted?
As for reason Money lots of the fakes.
And this is a Card not an autograph opinions dont count it is either real or it is not. This is not a Gold Coin. Simple side by side comparison will show this to be a fact.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Too hard? Ok I will break it down even more simply than
1- wrong size
2_wrong stock
3-wrong pose
4-Wrong colors
5-wrong back

Look at the card start at back ground( close but inconsistent with All known examples)
Then feet the shoes are way to simple they dont match All known examples)
Uniform no shading again simple drawing not up to the quality of Gold coins
Hands holding what? , hands are again to simple and baseball is not even round. Not matching all known examples...

This is just too simple it dose not Match any known examples and a close look shows drawing to be a MUCH POORER quality than ....again all known examples

When as a young man you were sent out for some shinola did you fall for the stinky brown bag with Shinola written on it or did you inspect it a little closer and come home with the right thing?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You may be right. And I agree that the motive is almost always money. But if that is the case,and it may be, what is this like a $50 scam? I will stick to my percentages. Would really love to fondle it a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Too hard? Ok I will break it d
own even more simply than
1- wrong size
2_wrong stock
3-wrong pose
4-Wrong colors
5-wrong back

Look at the card start at back ground( close but inconsistent with All known examples)
Then feet the shoes are way to simple they dont match All known examples)
Uniform no shading again simple drawing not up to the quality of Gold coins
Hands holding what? , hands are again to simple and baseball is not even round. Not matching all known examples...

This is just too simple it dose not Match any known examples and a close look shows drawing to be a MUCH POORER quality than ....again all known examples

When as a young man you were sent out for some shinola did you fall for the stinky brown bag with Shinola written on it or did you inspect it a little closer and come home with the right thing?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Rob

Jonathan, I respect your opinion on this, I'm just not as passionate about my take on this. TedZ mentions a 4th or 5th Brooklyn player found, McClellan, originally catalogued by Burdick, but only recently known. From Lipset's book, Brooklyn cards did not fit the 8 subject pattern of most teams. I looked through my 50 or so cards and I do not have any Brooklyn players.
This card has all the trademarks of the series' artwork. The belt and spats on this card match the style of other cards I have. I have seen different colors on Boston uniforms. I don't have all the answers. It's not my card. If you are right, then the creator of the fake has a better understanding of the set than I do.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

The McClellan shown on the old cardboard site also has no pinstripes.
And at least two other subjects have poses that are not duplicated.

I'd have to see the details up close. Modern printing should be really obvious.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Rob

Thanks for chiming in SteveB. Same uniform. To the OP, Jeff, where did you find this card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n284 Toole Pitcher Brooklyn o.jpg (42.6 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg n284mcclellan.jpg (45.3 KB, 305 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Yes maybe the person who faked this card used this uniform as model.( but I think I have seen this player and that card had pinstripes not 100% but I will follow up) But look close he still did a awful job, clearly got shoes wrong the real card like all the real gold coins is more detailed they have laces. The card from the OP just has a simple stright line. Simplified uniform no shading just a few stright lines. And the hands have no thumbs ( I just looked at 50 Gold coins on REA site and all of them have thumbs) and as I pointed out before the item in his hand that is supposed to be a baseball is not round. Any other gold coins have these characteristics? The 2 unique poses you mention both are the right size and have full gold coin backs. So you are never going to post another real gold coin that shares all the characteristics of this card as a fake by definition it shares a few known characteristics.
If you choose to look past the obvious signs that this is neither a gold coin or a gold coin ad card. Then go right ahead but it is a fake. And I for one dont think it is good for the hobby to encourage fakes.
If a guy at a flea market sells 20 or 30 of these types of fakes each year it becomes worth his while. That one is here on Net54 and more than one person thinks it is real shows clearly why people have been doing this sort of thing for decades. If you can suspend reality and sell a story folks believe what they want to be the truth. But in this case you have to ignore a whole lot of clear facts...Again
Wrong size, wrong back, The drawing itself is inconsistent with all known examples.