NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-05-2018, 02:39 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Congrats, Albert on 3,000 hits! Now, please retire.

Albert Pujols recorded his 3,000th career hit last night, becoming only the fourth player in Major League history to achieve 3,000 hits and 600 home runs (Aaron, Mays, and Alex Rodriguez are the others). He's been a tremendous player, and I have nothing but respect for how he's carried himself, both on and off the field. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt.

But, it's time for him to retire. And, the Angels need to make a tough decision here. Ownership needs to pull him aside, with the respect he is due, and tell him it's time to hang it up. Or, they need to release him.

The last two years, Pujols has been below league average as a hitter. OPS + sets league average at 100. In 2017, Albert Pujols was 20% below American League average with an 80 OPS +. This year, he's a little better at 95. But when you look at his contribution, it doesn't make sense to keep playing him.

Since the start of the 2015 season (487 games), Albert Pujols has been worth 2.6 WAR (BBR), or 0.4 WAR (Fangraphs). And he's been paid $102 million. The Angels have the best player in Baseball in Mike Trout. The $27 million the Angels are paying Albert Pujols this season could have been put to much better use. Unfortunately, with guaranteed contracts, there's not much they can do about what he's being paid. But they could have another player at his position that would help the team become better. The Angels are in first place, but it's a long season.

We hate seeing our stars at the very end of their careers. Willie Mays as a Met. Mickey Mantle barely able to walk after countless injuries. Albert needs to exit graciously, and start the timer for his induction into Cooperstown. He will then be recognized as the all-time great he is. Right now, however, all he's doing is hurting his team.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-05-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

I know his sabremetrics are mediocre, probably in part because he doesn't walk, but he projects so far to 30 HR 96 RBI and .256. Most people would think that doesn't exactly sound like someone who needs to retire.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Great article I saw that uses his personal anecdote facing Octavio Dotel in juniors that would substantiate the rumor that he is 3 to 4 years older than he claims to be, hence his precipitous dropoff.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:57 AM

I don't actually think he's hurting the team at all. They owe Albert the money either way, so if they cut him there's a zero sum gain in that they don't have anyone to play in his place. It's not like Albert is blocking a prospect in the minors. I highly doubt he'd retire and leave that money on the table so if you cut him you're going to pay him anyway without a better option on your team. You may as well play him as long as he's driving in runs.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
Great article I saw that uses his personal anecdote facing Octavio Dotel in juniors that would substantiate the rumor that he is 3 to 4 years older than he claims to be, hence his precipitous dropoff.
It would also explain why the Cardinals were ready to part ways with him after an unworldly decade.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:51 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't actually think he's hurting the team at all. They owe Albert the money either way, so if they cut him there's a zero sum gain in that they don't have anyone to play in his place. It's not like Albert is blocking a prospect in the minors. I highly doubt he'd retire and leave that money on the table so if you cut him you're going to pay him anyway without a better option on your team. You may as well play him as long as he's driving in runs.
I agree. Might as well get something for the money they're on the hook for.