NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default The Mayo Cut Poe Mystery

I just bought a mayo cut plug Poe off of Dan (Delsass2000), a wonderful member of this site. As I often do when buying old cards like this, I did some research on the player. It is said that the Poe on the card is Neilson Poe, Edgar Allen Poe's second cousin, and one of six Poe brothers who played for Princeton diring that era.
But here is where it gets weird, I found a very clear pic of the Poe brothers posing together and none of them look anything like the guy in the pic. I would understand if it were an artist rendering like the 1888 Beecher, but the mayo cut cards are actual photographs. I wish I knew how to paste a pic for you guys to compare, but I can't figure out how to paste pics on this thing. Just google "Poe brothers football" and you will see what I mean. The third guy from the left is supposed to be Neilson, but neither he nor the other five vaguely look like the guy pictured on the card.
Does anyone have any ideas or theories on this?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Paul

I have done the same research and also found the picture you are referring to lacking in providing any definitive help. I think the Neilson attribution comes from the fact that his playing years fit in best with the date range of the Mayo's Cut Plug issuance. Others on this site have done more extensive research and may be more helpful in explaining this.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Paul

Default photograph

I think this is the photo you are referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poe.jpg (5.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaufman View Post
I have done the same research and also found the picture you are referring to lacking in providing any definitive help. I think the Neilson attribution comes from the fact that his playing years fit in best with the date range of the Mayo's Cut Plug issuance. Others on this site have done more extensive research and may be more helpful in explaining this.
Exactly what I was thinking. He's the only Poe brother that would have played that year. The problem is that I found him on the 1895 team, not 1894. Not to mention he would have been 17 years old in 1894. It's weird.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaufman View Post
I think this is the photo you are referring to.
That's the one.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Jeff P

Mike Blaisdell photo matched the Mayo card image to a photo of Nielsen Poe from his Princeton days that looks very similar so it is definitely Nielsen Poe in the Mayo set. You are correct that his image in the photo with his brothers doesn't look much like his Mayo card but he is clean shaven and has short hair in that picture. Sometimes facial hair / hair style can change someone's appearance significantly. Have you seen Stephen Strasburg since he shaved off his facial hair? Incredible difference!

I'm also not sure when the Poe brothers photo was taken. Nielsen Poe was only about 18 when the Poe set came out and his appearance may have changed significantly if he was still growing / maturing.

jeff
Old 09-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Daniel Elsass

Thanks for the comment. Glad the Poe went to someone whom can appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:04 PM

A photo of the Princeton team from an 1895 program

I have a large book of Princeton athletics, maybe there is a photo in there to that will shed light on the card
Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 AM

Here is from the book on Princeton Athletics

Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 AM

Looks like he cleaned up his act and put on a little weight for the 1895 photo

Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Jeff P

Quite a different in look between all of those photos!

jeff
Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Thanks for those pics Rev. I see it now.