NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
Man everyone is talking about this, not always from the same vantage point tho. Id be kind of scared with all the shills and fakes. To eaxh their own tho
http://http://www.blowoutcards.com/f...a-10s-now.html
I can't get this link to work.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
Man everyone is talking about this, not always from the same vantage point tho. Id be kind of scared with all the shills and fakes. To eaxh their own tho
http://http://www.blowoutcards.com/f...a-10s-now.html
The stories will intersect if they have not already; obviously the high prices on certain cards create even stronger incentives to bring fakes (using the term broadly to include 9s in 10 holders etc.) to the market.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I just looked at the borders again and they don't seem as small, relative to the other borders, as I had thought. That being said the green cobb looks a bit short and the red one is out of focus. But admittedly on some scans I just got sent, the borders don't look as small as I remembered them. I think when buying very high grade pre-war we have to be very careful.
here are the cobbs...

Old 06-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Sean Costello

The red one is blurry and out of focus, but I think that it's just a bad scan. The borders seem okay to me.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

You have got a big set of balls posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickitup View Post
Packs,

I am sorry I hurt your feelings when I responded to your opinion of what you might believe I am doing should be characterized as. Hurting your feelings was not the intent. You are no better or no worse than me, period. The amount of money I have or don't have should not characterize what I do with it or how the impacts of what I choose to do affect my life.

Calling what I am doing gambling is ignorant. Why? Because you have no idea what my situation is, just like I have no idea what yours is.

Just because it's a lot to you doesn't mean it's a lot to me. That's ok too... You are likely a nice guy, a great friend, a great dad etc, but just because I might have more money than you doesn't make me a gambler and you a collector because of the dollar amount I choose to put into cards.

My whole point was here that I am trying to encourage you all to not get caught up in what things used to be worth, but instead what they are worth now and what they will be worth in the future. I get annoyed so often by people complaining about how dumb prices are and how much manipulation goes on. I make up that people blame it on manipulation that prices are going up, but my sense is these same people are stuck in the past.

Hypothetically speaking, If I am willing to buy one Lou Gehrig card for 300k and that has a population of 3, I can assure you I am also willing to buy the other two for the same price before I let one of them go for less. I am an investor and I will protect my investment accordingly. I don't make any move without being willing to protect my move. If I think a card is worth 300k and there are 3 of them, I need to be willing to invest 900k in that card to make that purchase. That's not gambling, that is smart and logical investing. If I end up buying all 3 for 900k, fine, but I sure am going to support the market to protect my investment. I can only do that if I buy within my means and go in with a plan.

I hardly call that gambling. I think it's smart. I don't need you to agree with me, but I don't appreciate it when anyone tries to characterize what I am willing to do gambling when the dollar amount is merely larger than an amount they might be comfortable spending.

I can tell you all this. I don't buy a 50k Namath rookie unless I am willing to buy 50 of them for that. I consider my investments before I make them. I encourage those who don't think this way to realize there are others like me out there that are willing to buy not only one card, but all of them for "X" price and control the market.

This is happening and it bugs me that no one else realizes it. I can't convince you all that this is right or wrong, but I'm telling you it's happening because I am doing it and will continue to do so.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Not that you care but if you broke out your Cobbs I doubt any of the 4 would grade again.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Not that you care but if you broke out your Cobbs I doubt any of the 4 would grade again.
What about this one? It's a PSA 8 too. Would it grade again if cracked out?

Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
It all depends on who submits them.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Lots of idiots. Especially the ones that admit they are trying to create and alter a market. And the ones that believe money buys intelligence.

Last edited by ezez420; 06-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Daryl

Quote:

I think the Red Cobb would.

The others...

Old 06-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Brendan Mullen

Bat on Shoulder WOULD NOT grade again.... The red is probably ok.... The bat on can't tell....

Last edited by Bpm0014; 06-09-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:09 AM

Default Wagner...

Great large scan of the Wagner. I just used a ruler with centimeter markings and millimeter fractions - and looks like the bottom width is tad wider than top width. But it is just my crude measurement, could very well be off, and I wear glasses - eyesight not the best. And who knows - the factory cuts back then weren't perfect, I assume. If you had to pick the worst corner, would be the upper right - if it were cut, one would want to address that particular corner - goes along with my measurement trial.

The original post spoke of liquidity - its a different world now with auction houses offering money up front, and eBay where you can realize $ in your bank acct. in 2 weeks of listing.

And not all cards are going up. PWCC ended a T205 Cobb PSA 6 that went over $1.k less than it did in 2006. I have been eyeing a PSA 5 Cobb M116 on eBay for $2750. - kinda thought it would be gone by now at that price, but not. Could be wrong, but most of us don't own majority of our collections with waterfront cards. Just be happy if you own a couple, enjoy the rest of your collection. Hopefully the waterfront card market rise will trickle down to what us common folk own.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Daryl

Default Liquidity & Investing vs collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Great large scan of the Wagner. I just used a ruler with centimeter markings and millimeter fractions - and looks like the bottom width is tad wider than top width. But it is just my crude measurement, could very well be off, and I wear glasses - eyesight not the best. And who knows - the factory cuts back then weren't perfect, I assume. If you had to pick the worst corner, would be the upper right - if it were cut, one would want to address that particular corner - goes along with my measurement trial.

Do you seriously not recognize that Wagner?

Last edited by 4815162342; 06-09-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Cobbs

All four of those cards look trimmed...I thought the "Flip Monkeys" knew not to buy high grade in the old style cases?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I suggest you forget the measurement trial. The trial that mattered was Mastro's and he is in jail for trimming it, saying he didn't, and pleading guilty to it (from what I recall).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...icle-1.1482098

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post

The original post spoke of liquidity - its a different world now with auction houses offering money up front, and eBay where you can realize $ in your bank acct. in 2 weeks of listing.

And not all cards are going up. PWCC ended a T205 Cobb PSA 6 that went over $1.k less than it did in 2006. I have been eyeing a PSA 5 Cobb M116 on eBay for $2750. - kinda thought it would be gone by now at that price, but not. Could be wrong, but most of us don't own majority of our collections with waterfront cards. Just be happy if you own a couple, enjoy the rest of your collection. Hopefully the waterfront card market rise will trickle down to what us common folk own.

Last edited by Leon; 06-09-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: link added
Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The flip is now its own reality.
Whoa, that's a very deep thought...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

If you want to test your investment practices using those Cobbs, try selling them for more than 75% of what you paid to someone other than the person/persons who sold them to you, or back to yourself in an auction. It would be wise to learn not to depend solely on the "Certification" applied to the cards you are investing in. Bad certification is a very big market variable on the high end, especially in that company's holders. You aren't the first person to approach this hobby the way you are and you aren't the first to do so with the handicap of "flip dependancy". You'll get better at picking out solid investments if you do and it will be more fun as well. This is meant to be helpful*
Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Whoa, that's a very deep thought...
Agreed, Adam, sort of like The Matrix
Old 06-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Brendan Mullen

Both the BAT ON COBB and WAGNER..... both have the same upward curvature "cut/trim" to the first half of the bottom of the card if you look closely. I may not be explaining that clearly, but if you look closely they both have the same cut.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Sean Costello

Brendan, the Wagner seems to have more of a curvature on the top of the card. The Cobb Bat On may have that same curve on the bottom of the card.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
All four of those cards look trimmed...I thought the "Flip Monkeys" knew not to buy high grade in the old style cases?
"Flip Monkey"; now that's funny
Old 06-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Bat on Shoulder WOULD NOT grade again.... The red is probably ok.... The bat on can't tell....
Forgive me for the digression, but I have a hobby question for the experts: does the Red Cobb portrait generally have naturally thinner east and west borders than the others? I can't remember the last time I saw a "fat-bordered" version of the Red when compared to the Bat Off, for example.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Mine seems to have normal looking borders?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbt206red.jpg (72.9 KB, 449 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Brendan Mullen

Brendan, the Wagner seems to have more of a curvature on the top of the card. The Cobb Bat On may have that same curve on the bottom of the card.

Look closely on the bottom of the Wagner....left side to about midway thru his name....fairly pronounced.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Luke Lyon

I never took a close look at the Wagner. That is a terrible hack job, geez. Can't really believe that Mastro did such a bad job and that PSA still slabbed it.

I've seen plenty of Cobbs with normal borders. Tiny borders and high grades almost always equals trimmed.

I want to clarify something I said earlier. I said that cards can be good investments, but I don't mean that all cards are. I wouldn't want to put my money into high grade Jordans or high grade 50's RCs right now. Cards like the Cobbs shown are incredibly risky because a lot of them are $800 cards in holders with a high # on the plastic case.

However, if I had $100k that I wanted to invest in cards (I don't) I am confident I could get a decent return over the next 5-10 years, and I bet a lot of other collectors on this forum would be as well.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

This is one of the least "fun" threads I have ever read.

I am both a collector and a bit of an investor/dealer, as I find it fun to make a bit of money on the side and it allows me to buy more cool stuff without spending "family money" (ie, my day job salary).

To each his own I suppose but I find the thought of investing in high end slabs a bit too sterile and cold, no different than investing in gold or silver (there is nothing wrong with investing in those but not nearly as much fun).

I do find the OP's admission that he is willing and ready to manipulate the market for a card and openly admitting to that a bit troublesome & makes me feel a bit squeamish at the same time. What doesn't make as much sense to me about the premise he puts forth is that if he is aggressively bidding on and winning every copy of a card that comes up for sale and then corners the market he has to be sure someone out there is taking his place in the items he later sells as we have all seen the price of certain cards go down once all the larger collectors have filled their sets out and the bidding isn't quite as spirited. I suppose he could go straight sale (no auction) but I don't see too many 50-100k cards changing hands outside of the auction format, although I'm sure they do.

This thread is a great way to make a fun hobby feel just a little less fun.

All that said, to each his own!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
This is one of the least "fun" threads I have ever read.

I am both a collector and a bit of an investor/dealer, as I find it fun to make a bit of money on the side and it allows me to buy more cool stuff without spending "family money" (ie, my day job salary).

To each his own I suppose but I find the thought of investing in high end slabs a bit too sterile and cold, no different than investing in gold or silver (there is nothing wrong with investing in those but not nearly as much fun).

I do find the OP's admission that he is willing and ready to manipulate the market for a card and openly admitting to that a bit troublesome & makes me feel a bit squeamish at the same time. What doesn't make as much sense to me about the premise he puts forth is that if he is aggressively bidding on and winning every copy of a card that comes up for sale and then corners the market he has to be sure someone out there is taking his place in the items he later sells as we have all seen the price of certain cards go down once all the larger collectors have filled their sets out and the bidding isn't quite as spirited. I suppose he could go straight sale (no auction) but I don't see too many 50-100k cards changing hands outside of the auction format, although I'm sure they do.

This thread is a great way to make a fun hobby feel just a little less fun.

All that said, to each his own!
Plenty of folks with lots of money have inhabited and continue to inhabit the hobby. And I don't doubt that many of them were/are attuned to an investment as well as a collecting angle. But something about the in your face tone of this thread -- or I should say the OP's posts -- seems different in kind.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default 4-8-Cobbs

I think the term "Hot Potato 8's" should be an industry term for cards like those Cobbs.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Al Richter

Default OP

I knew from the first paragraph of the first post that I was going to be one of the dumb guys who never eventually gets it.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-09-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Bob Davies

Default Something Serious, and an Attempt at Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickitup View Post
I don't post often, but I feel compelled to share some thoughts. Most of you will likely disagree, and that's ok too. I hope eventually you get it.
A pet peeve of mine... I despise the arrogance of suggesting that if you disagree, you somehow don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It obviously appears the "trimmer" started getting lazy, overlaying these two cards top to bottom when performing a single task.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
David Peck

I have been active in stocks for 19 years and have been a full service broker for the past 12 and nothing I have ever touched or recommended has even come close to the rates of return I have experienced with cards. This hobby boggles my mind. You can take a raw card, pay a fee and literally print money. Amazing.

That said the liquidity of cards can't be compared to financial assets. There are a few cards like a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan where anyone can list one on EBAY and achieve a near market price at anytime but that isn't the case for most cards. There is also a very high spread from the sale price to the net price that occurs from fees.

If you were to measure the performance of many of the top cards in the hobby they have crushed what a diversified portfolio consisting of stocks and bonds in the past ten years have returned and clearly many have been fantastic investments. That said cards do not pay interest or dividends and you can only win one way and that is price appreciation. This is a significant drawback that must be considered. Playing the buy high and sell higher game can certainly work but clearly buying today vs. a few months ago must be done with some caution.

For me personally I put financial savings ahead of cards as I would much rather have a large financial base that can create cash flow and only use excess cash to buy and generally sell a few things when I buy something at today's prices as it doesn't feel like a good investment to me. If someone wants to dump a large portion of their net worth into cards I don't see a problem with it if retirement is far off and they have great cash flow. That said for someone in their later years they must be ready to sell and for a lot of collectors myself included I hold my best cards for personal enjoyment and can't imagine selling them which obviously would be a problem for someone approaching retirement.

The other huge issue is buying the right cards. While it has been exciting to watch many sky rocket there are an even greater number that can't be sold for much and aren't participating in this move higher. Lately it has felt like you could throw darts at the market as star cards have been cruising higher but in reality if many want to convert their paper profits to cash the market for cards is not deep enough for a lot of people to head for the exits at the same time. When you see large price gaps in bids this suggests that if just a few people back away cards prices can fall and if those same buyers become sellers it creates even further problems.

The OP I recall was an oil trader and he should know that trading cards aren't even remotely as liquid as financial instruments. If one wants to dive really deep into this issue you could attempt to rank cards in terms of risk and segment cards with what would be considered lower beta vs. higher beta etc. That said when you see cards doubling and tripling in weeks you could throw a lot of that research out the window as the market for many cards is moving in a parabolic state and is extremely unpredictable. Because there is no way to hedge cards or bet against cards the market is more akin to an IPO when it gets listed as it can go vertical as there isn't artificial supply that can be thrown at it and the only way to make money is to go long the stock and it simply becomes a game of hot potato. If we are experiencing a hot potato game right now there will be some people that truly regret getting involved.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Larry

Quote:
If you believe what you say, you should be buying Jordan 10s. Just be careful, seriously, not to get a fake one, there are some pretty convincing ones from the Mexican guy out there.

My problem with 10s always has been that to me they are just Mint cards with a different flip for the most part -- that you couldn't tell apart but for the flip -- but in an era when flips seem to be independent commodities that seems not to matter.
+1. Buy the card, not the holder. There are far too many "9's" which will compete with the "10's," with very little substantive difference between the two. Specifically, PSA has graded 2,418 "9's," 6,745 "8's," and 158 "8.5's." SGC has graded 308 "8's," 287 8.5's," 136 "9's," and 12 "10's." Taken together, the supply factor of "high grade" Jordan's looms far too large for me to take this card seriously as an investment in the long run. It's value will appreciate similarly to analogous coins in the coin market, where such items, scarce (and definitely not rare) in the highest numerical grade, but much more common in a minimally lower grade, are cyclical in value appreciation. The fact that a high grade Jordan rookie is simply not any kind of real rarity makes for a significant downside risk for the long term. If they're on the upswing and you can pick up one for the right price, flip it as soon as you can make some substantial money. Not at all an item for long term holding, IMHO, and very, very vulnerable to demand swings, whereas you won't see that with classical rarities in vintage cards. The latter will prove much more stable with likely very close to linear appreciation. What works to obtain the latter in EVERY field of collectibles is one simple formula: rare, significant, and in the best condition you can find or afford. The Jordan is not and never will be rare, although it meets the other criteria, but those are the two least important for value.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-09-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
A real investor would not bother with already vastly appreciated cards but would be looking for the next wave cards so as to maximize returns.

All cards are liquid; the issue is a red herring. The discussion should be liquid at what price. Right now certain cards are flying off the shelf because we are in a mania. Anyone who has collected for a long time has seen it before. Remember E cards? T206 errors? Chasing the tail of a mania is a bad idea. Better question is what cards are still undervalued.

The PSA 10 Jordan discussion is incomplete. The relevant pop is not PSA 10 but is 8-10. Many collectors will simply downgrade rather than chase a ten. There may be a better ROI on a lesser grade card unless you expect the Jordan to go from $30k to $60k. Maybe it will. But maybe the better play is several 8s that have the potential to triple in the same time. If you are an investor. If all you can afford is one Jordan 10 you aren't an investor you are a person trying to sell yourself on a splurge.

Buy what you like and assume you will own it for a while. If you want liquidity and transparency go buy a security and leave the cards to the collectors. Trust me you won't be missed.
Adam has absolutely hit the nail on the head. Buy on the leading, cutting edge, thinking outside the box a bit, and looking for rare, significant AND UNDERVALUED (which really means outside the hobby's current focus). If you're buying on the trailing edge, which is much more expensive and may only offer the illusion of lasting value, you may well find yourself in that last group of lemmings as the herd heads full blast off the cliff. John J. Pittman followed this course of action and put together a $40 million coin collection over his lifetime, never being able to obtain the real "trophy" items (he was a chemical engineer for Eastman Kodak, and died in the '90's).

Best wishes, to Adam and all,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-09-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Anyone who is willing to put $300K into cards as an investment in their future is nuts. The only people spending $300K on cards are high rollers who don't even need to see a return. I would say the same is probably true for everyone who's purchased that Joe Jax card too. I would be very surprised to hear about anyone laying out their life savings on a card who was just a normal person who managed to save 60K.
+1. IMHO, the big bucks spenders are NOT purchasing for investment--money is the least of their concerns. They are buying legitimately desirable items, are not concerned with cost, and are simply trying to put together the very best collections possible for purposes of pride and enjoyment.

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 06-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Larry

Quote:
I interpreted it to mean he thinks certain high end postwar and modern cards are good investments even at today's prices. And that those who are not buying into it (literally) will miss the boat.
It isn't necessarily bad to miss the boat, especially when it sinks en route to its destination. Hmmm-why does the Titanic disaster of April, 1912 come to mind? Maybe because that one was "unsinkable" too!

Hi, Pete.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-09-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM
David Riley

Th Manipulator needs to get to manipulating Mike Bossy and Rickey Henderson RC's. Zero plans to sell what I have, I'd just like to see a card or 2 of mine blast off. Got 5 of each in PSA 9, c'mon dude, get to work on this
Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextlevel View Post
This would be immediately after the era of overproduction. Everybody in the late 80's and early 90's were buying cards to put away for retirement. People were paying ridiculous prices for OPC premiere, Stadium Club, Kevin Maas rookies, etc, etc. That crash cost a lot of people money. Now of course this wasn't across all areas of collecting, but nevertheless, the "card market" dropped big time. I understand that this was the overproduced crap, but the people who were dumping money into the hobby had no clue(maybe like the people now dumping money into the sportscard market and inflating prices), and the rug was pulled out from under them. It all comes down to choosing wisely. If you know a collectibles market, then you can use it as an investment vehicle and limit the downside.
This is exactly right. Collectors thought 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas rookies, 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck rookies and the like would only keep going up, up and away (like the Fifth Dimension, in their beautiful, beautiful balloon). Many dollars were being put into huge lots of these cards, but a liquid market for those lots never developed. The impact of huge production set in, and much of the market, mostly new cards, but with an overflow effect even on '50's and '60's cards, tanked. By recollection, the '52 Topps Mantle dropped in NrMt grade from $30,000 or so to around $15K by 1995. I don't think this market is like that one, because much of the $$$ is going into truly desirable, proven cards which are at least condition rarities, and seldom seen in high grade (note based on my previous posts above that I do not include the '86 Fleer Jordan in gem mint "10" in that group because it is so prevalent in only slightly lesser grades).

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-09-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM

90 frank Thomas leaf is a sore subject with me...

When I finally scraped up enough to get that card at 10 years old... I assumed it would be my key to early retirement...

Still have that exact card upstairs in a guest bedroom.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post
90 frank Thomas leaf is a sore subject with me...

When I finally scraped up enough to get that card at 10 years old... I assumed it would be my key to early retirement...

Still have that exact card upstairs in a guest bedroom.
Josh, I remember a local dealer in the Detroit Metropolitan area who was planning to retire on Ken Griffey Jr. cards in the '90's, AND HE WAS ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS!

Even more than $$$ appreciation, may your collecting bring you joy,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think long term investing in "high grade" graded cards of plentiful issues is foolish for a variety of reasons, not the least being the large number altered cards in holders with hard grades. If you were aware of the high percentage of altered cards graded, and the margin of error and other silliness involved in grading, why would you invest your money in that? I'd put my money in undervalued, quality, rare issues.

Last edited by drcy; 06-09-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Bill Gregory

Somewhere, Jimmy Hoffa, Elvis, Jim Morrison and the Cobb T206 borders are sitting on a beach, drinking mai tais...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think he should try to find the borders missing on the cobbs he showed. They are somewhere because they didn't get mfg that way.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Bill Gregory

Then, come sit with me at the dumb guys table, Al. The bar's open. What are you drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I knew from the first paragraph of the first post that I was going to be one of the dumb guys who never eventually gets it.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
We can revisit this specific example tonight once the PWCC listing ends, but the fact we have a relevant example to study and apply in this discussion is interesting.
i snagged the cj jax. im sure there is some flawed history to this example, several will claimed it's altered/trimmed, gasp at the price, tell me that i am a fool or all the above.

in reality, i could care less. ive always wanted this card and wasn't gonna settle for one that i wasn't visually happy with. my chances dont come up very often.

tell me im an idiot and i'd probably agree, but in less than 3 years it will be the 100 year anniversary of the card itself and the '19 world series and the idiot will have it and smiling.

study long, study wrong.

edit: typo change '16 to '19...leaving the retarded verbage of the 100 yr anniversary to prove the idiot part though.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-10-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
i snagged the cj jax. im sure there is some flawed history to this example, several will claimed it's altered/trimmed, gasp at the price, tell me that i am a fool or all the above.

in reality, i could care less. ive always wanted this card and wasn't gonna settle for one that i wasn't visually happy with. my chances dont come up very often.

tell me im an idiot and i'd probably agree, but in less than 3 years it will be the 100 year anniversary of the card itself and the '16 world series and the idiot will have it and smiling.

study long, study wrong.
Last year was the 100 year anniversary of the card. I think you mean that in 3 years it will be the 100 year anniversary of the Black Sox scandal.

In any case, congratulations.

Last edited by Sean; 06-10-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:14 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

yes. it's late, it was a long thread, im tired.

oh. and f the peanuts, gimme some cracker jacks.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-10-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Congratulations on the pick up. I think the price was pretty reasonable given the quality of the card.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:30 PM
pete ullman

Wow! Mucho congrats!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
+1. IMHO, the big bucks spenders are NOT purchasing for investment--money is the least of their concerns. They are buying legitimately desirable items, are not concerned with cost, and are simply trying to put together the very best collections possible for purposes of pride and enjoyment.

Happy collecting,

Larry
You either haven't been reading the board or didn't understand what has been plainly said, imo. They ARE purchasing for investment.
Put a very high grade '52 Mick out there or a T206 Wags....or many, many of the high grade HOF rookies and there are a LOT of investors.. not buying for collecting and unfortunately they barely know what they are buying except pieces of paper in plastic. The cards are almost secondary to some....AND NOT for enjoyment.

A board member investor who has shown hundreds of thousands of $$ in cards on this board asked another board member, privately yesterday, what a flip was. Not quite a collector I would say.... But maybe what ALL of my friends in the hobby are telling me is wrong. (and many see who is bidding as they are auctioneers) Don't be foolish, there are a ton of investors in the hobby right now.

ps. Congrats on the CJ Bob...

Last edited by Leon; 06-11-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

What's interesting is the different predictions I am hearing from people who have been doing this a long time. Some think the game has changed forever and that at least the high end RCs and some other cards have moved from collectibles to investment commodities; some think it's a short-term trend and the investors will take their profits soon and move on and prices will collapse.

Right now, my understanding is that much of the buying one sees on these cards that are skyrocketing is being done by a relatively small number of people. So I think it's still a volatile situation.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-11-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
What's interesting is the different predictions I am hearing from people who have been doing this a long time. Some think the game has changed forever and that at least the high end RCs and some other cards have moved from collectibles to investment commodities; some think it's a short-term trend and the investors will take their profits soon and move on and prices will collapse.

Right now, my understanding is that much of the buying one sees on these cards that are skyrocketing is being done by a relatively small number of people. So I think it's still a volatile situation.
Peter, anyone else besides Brent of PWCC who think the game has changed forever? Trying not to laugh as I type this.