NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 AM
Daniel

Default Vin Scully goes Silent

Warmest Regards to the great Vin Scully who broadcast his last Dodger home game this afternoon...A King among Kings,no doubt.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:19 AM
Michael S.

"A little roller up along first... behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it!"

Thanks Vin - you made a lifelong fan out of me and gave my mother and I "the call" of my childhood.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
"A little roller up along first... behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it!"

Thanks Vin - you made a lifelong fan out of me and gave my mother and I "the call" of my childhood.
+1
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

His call of Aaron's 715th is immortal. After letting the crowd noise speak for itself, he took on directly the race issue:

What a marvelous moment for baseball, what a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia, what a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly for Henry Aaron."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Ron

Pretty cool game to send him off with. A two out homer in the ninth to tie the game, followed by an extra-inning win. The song at the end was a little corny, but the world could probably use a little more of that these days. Glad to see he got to finish up his time at Dodger Stadium on a high note.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What a day. His last game, terrible Fernandez news, and then Arnold Palmer. Some good news today please.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I was at the game, and it couldn't have been a better send off. He must've gotten half a dozen standing ovations throughout the game, and each Dodger stopped before their first at bat to look up and tip their cap to him.
Won't be the same without him, that's for sure.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

With all the saint like send offs, was fun to read Boys of Summer again recently. Pretty clear he was a pretty good sh*tkicker in his day. No alter boy. Will be missed.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What a day. His last game, terrible Fernandez news, and then Arnold Palmer. Some good news today please.
For me it was the Dodgers clinching their division and the day before the VOLS humiliating Florida here at home. What a weekend!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A great announcer and a gracious man. Here he is with my nephew in the pressbox about 12 years ago:

He signed this for me that day:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-27-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Truly a national treasure - in every way!

As I have said before, play-by-play announcers should always be someone with whom we can trust some of our most cherished memories.

For it is what they say, or sometimes don't say, that is forever linked to the images of those cherished moments and can either enrich (Vin) or ruin (several others) those memories.

Vin Scully could ALWAYS be trusted with our greatest memories.

Thank You Sir and God Speed.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Eric Perry

Hard to believe the man who called the Brooklyn Dodgers WS Championship just retired. Best wishes to a National Treasure.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:14 PM

I cried at the game Friday night with my 11 year old daughter while listening to, among others, the great Sandy Koufax give his tribute. I teared up at his magical send-off on Sunday. My story is like so many others: up way beyond bedtime with my ear to the radio listening to him tell stories and call Dodger games with Jerry Doggett then Ross Porter. The best childhood possible. Thank you, Vin.

Last edited by Dewey; 09-27-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Tim

Default Great memories.........

Vin Scully's play-by-play was always on the radio at our house while I was growing up. He seemed to be a another member of our family. His voice will forever resonate in my mind...........

Vin Scully's First Communion photograph (circa 1934).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vin Scully - First Communion 1934.jpg (57.1 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by tjb1952tjb; 09-28-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:58 AM

As a Giants fan even I gotta say I'm gonna miss him. When the reception was just right I could pick him and Jerry Doggett on KABC at night sometimes as a kid under the covers in N. Calif. I also got to meet him one time pre game at Candlestick as a kid. He was and is a really nice nice man!

Also he called "The Catch" Clark to Montana on CBS too...

Happy Retirement and wish him good health and happiness.

Ricky Y
Old 09-29-2016, 04:36 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
As a Giants fan even I gotta say I'm gonna miss him. When the reception was just right I could pick him and Jerry Doggett on KABC at night sometimes as a kid under the covers in N. Calif. I also got to meet him one time pre game at Candlestick as a kid. He was and is a really nice nice man!

Also he called "The Catch" Clark to Montana on CBS too...

Happy Retirement and wish him good health and happiness.

Ricky Y
????
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
????
I think he was referring to the Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I think he was referring to the Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown.
Yep...Vin Called the NFC Championship Game.

Ricky Y