NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 05-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Let's Go Blues! Play Gloria!

Let's see some Blue's stuff!

Here are all but two St. Louis Blues press/media guides from their initial season of 1967-68 through 2007-08. Missing 2001-02 and 2004-05.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0837 (2).jpg (77.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Rob

So cool! Nice to see a Blues fan, that is quite a collection. I actually gifted one of those to my brother-in-law, a St. Louis native and big Blues fan. I only morphed into a Blues fan after going to St. Louis from '92 thru '99 to see Kurri (and that Gretzky guy) every time they came into town, so I've only been on board for just under twenty years. Let's hope we get to hear Gloria four more times. Let's Go Blues!
Old 05-27-2019, 03:59 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
So cool! Nice to see a Blues fan, that is quite a collection. I actually gifted one of those to my brother-in-law, a St. Louis native and big Blues fan. I only morphed into a Blues fan after going to St. Louis from '92 thru '99 to see Kurri (and that Gretzky guy) every time they came into town, so I've only been on board for just under twenty years. Let's hope we get to hear Gloria four more times. Let's Go Blues!
Only a Blues fan for 20 years! You know the pain. You've suffered enough. LETS GO BLUES!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

In all my years watching hockey, I, for some reason, was never a Blues fan but I am sure hoping this year they can beat the Bruins and win Sir Stanley.

Boston is definitely a good team but 1 game is not conclusive that they are going to win.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Only a Blues fan for 20 years! You know the pain. You've suffered enough. LETS GO BLUES!
Haha, thanks, nice to know I sneak in. It's a great hockey town, I hope they can make it happen. And I agree with "irv", Boston certainly dominated game 1, but we have already seen the Blues play like that for a couple of stretches in these playoffs and bounce back, so still hopeful. Boston may indeed win it, but still a long way to go in the series and nobody wins it with one great game.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:34 AM
Murr the Blurr

Nice collection of media guides, Jerry G.
I was honored to be friends for several years with Seth Martin, the goaltender pictured on the cover of the 1967-68 guide. He shared the Blues' first-year netminding duties with Glenn Hall after a stellar international career that saw him play in two Olympics and lead the Trail Smoke Eaters to the 1961 world championship. Seth's lone NHL shutout came on Christmas Day 1967, a 1-0 victory over the Minnesota North Stars. The man in the North Stars net was Cesare Maniago, a Trail native whom Martin had faced dozens of times in the amateur ranks.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:42 AM
Bob Andrews

Rangers fan here who is rooting for the Blues since my oldest and dearest friend is a St. Louis native and has suffered long enough. Went to games with him at the old Checkerdome back in the mid-70s. Was quite a place. Repped the Blues at the hockey bar Monday night with the only St. Louis-related items I have, my Brownies cap, and Satchel Paige tee. Wasn't enough. #goBlues
Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 AM
Mike Dugan

Jerry was the 2007/08 the last year the Blues printed a guide? I know of all the major sports the NHL embraced the electronic side of guides more than any others. Just a guess but I don't think more than a dozen NHL teams printed a guide this season?

I think we just saw the first time that a MLB team failed to print a guide this year with the Braves saying no. The jury still out this season on the Orioles and Dodgers?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Baseball town? Absolutely! But we love the Blues, too.

This lady was all in for the Note. Buried in a Blues jersey.

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...3fd763a2f254ac

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-29-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default It's Going be great!

I can't wait to see the Clydesdales trot around the ice Saturday night in St. Louis!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clydesdales.jpg (75.6 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-30-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
Nice collection of media guides, Jerry G.
I was honored to be friends for several years with Seth Martin, the goaltender pictured on the cover of the 1967-68 guide. He shared the Blues' first-year netminding duties with Glenn Hall after a stellar international career that saw him play in two Olympics and lead the Trail Smoke Eaters to the 1961 world championship. Seth's lone NHL shutout came on Christmas Day 1967, a 1-0 victory over the Minnesota North Stars. The man in the North Stars net was Cesare Maniago, a Trail native whom Martin had faced dozens of times in the amateur ranks.
I remember before that first season, that Seth Martin was the #1 hyped player coming in. As you stated, he had tremendous success as an amateur. The word was that he previously didn't want to give up amateur status and play in the minor leagues. With the Blues, he would instantly become an NHL starter. Didn't work out as planned. He only played 30 games. I don't remember why. Do you know, Murr?
Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Rangers fan here who is rooting for the Blues since my oldest and dearest friend is a St. Louis native and has suffered long enough. Went to games with him at the old Checkerdome back in the mid-70s. Was quite a place. Repped the Blues at the hockey bar Monday night with the only St. Louis-related items I have, my Brownies cap, and Satchel Paige tee. Wasn't enough. #goBlues
We appreciate you support. Bob! Hey! The Rangers just picked up a great hockey mind in former Blues goaltender, John Davidson. He, as a Ranger alum, will do great work for you guys.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Jerry was the 2007/08 the last year the Blues printed a guide? I know of all the major sports the NHL embraced the electronic side of guides more than any others. Just a guess but I don't think more than a dozen NHL teams printed a guide this season?

I think we just saw the first time that a MLB team failed to print a guide this year with the Braves saying no. The jury still out this season on the Orioles and Dodgers?
Mike, I know that there were several printed after 2007-08. Not sure how many or when they quit. I guess I just lost a little interest when the Blues built my hopes up only to drop me on my head every year. Only makes this year sweeter! Let's go Blues!
Old 05-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
In all my years watching hockey, I, for some reason, was never a Blues fan but I am sure hoping this year they can beat the Bruins and win Sir Stanley.

Boston is definitely a good team but 1 game is not conclusive that they are going to win.
You are a right thinking guy, Dale! After the third game against the Sharks, I had my doubts that they would win another game. I was way wrong. They are a resilient group and are far from done. (Am I setting myself up for the Blues to drop me on my head again?)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
I remember before that first season, that Seth Martin was the #1 hyped player coming in. As you stated, he had tremendous success as an amateur. The word was that he previously didn't want to give up amateur status and play in the minor leagues. With the Blues, he would instantly become an NHL starter. Didn't work out as planned. He only played 30 games. I don't remember why. Do you know, Murr?
Maybe Seth had a change of heart when the Blues coaxed Jacques Plante out of retirement?

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-29-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Atta boy, Jeff!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 AM
Murr the Blurr

You're right, Jerry -- Seth was much-heralded coming in as Glenn Hall's goaltending partner with the 67-68 Blues, and his performance in the backup role resulted in him being offered a contract to return to St. Louis the following season. But since the money the Blues were offering wasn't as much as he was making as a fireman at the massive Cominco lead smelter in Trail, British Columbia, he turned it down. Also, if he had continued in the NHL, Seth would have lost his union seniority at Cominco, which would have severely impacted the pension he collected after he retired. He felt beholden to the company, which for years had granted him time off with pay to play for the Canadian national team. After he informed the Blues of his decision, they signed the great Jacques Plante, who teamed with Hall to form a truly formidable tandem in the St. Louis net.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
You're right, Jerry -- Seth was much-heralded coming in as Glenn Hall's goaltending partner with the 67-68 Blues, and his performance in the backup role resulted in him being offered a contract to return to St. Louis the following season. But since the money the Blues were offering wasn't as much as he was making as a fireman at the massive Cominco lead smelter in Trail, British Columbia, he turned it down. Also, if he had continued in the NHL, Seth would have lost his union seniority at Cominco, which would have severely impacted the pension he collected after he retired. He felt beholden to the company, which for years had granted him time off with pay to play for the Canadian national team. After he informed the Blues of his decision, they signed the great Jacques Plante, who teamed with Hall to form a truly formidable tandem in the St. Louis net.
Great history, Murr! Thanks. Here is Martin's part of the page from that first press guide. Funny that he's on the cover but, only received a half page inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seth Martin 2.jpg (14.0 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 06-04-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Bob Andrews

Blues really took the fight to the Bruins last night. Great, crucial win for them.

And I thought we could use a hockey card in here.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here's some mojo for the Blues; I hate the f***in' Bruins.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-30-2019, 02:44 PM
Jeff

Beauties Adam!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 05-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Jeff

Default More Blues

delete - double post

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-30-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Jeff

Default More Blues

Last edited by HRBAKER; 06-03-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Cool stuff, guys!

Signed by Tim Ecclestone, Bob Plager, Jimmy Roberts and Red Berenson. Wish I could have gotten Jacques Plante and Ab McDonald. Damn.

Bob Plager, master of the hip check. Keep your head up son!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blues in action.jpg (19.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Plager hip check.jpg (9.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 topps blues.jpg (20.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default A couple nice pieces and some odds and ends

It's hard to believe that the great players posted above and others have never drank from the cup...as a Blue. Is this the year?

Looks like they reeled me in again. Lets go Blues!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0840 (2).jpg (81.6 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-30-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Jeff

Default More Notes of Note

Then & Now - Still Waiting for a Cup

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-31-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Blues paid tribute to The Man by wearing these warm-up jerseys in 2013.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musial Blues Jerseys.jpg (52.6 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:04 PM
D@le Irv*n

I guess no one wants to talk about what happened last night but I hate to admit it, the Bruins are looking pretty good.

Not that it is over yet, but I honestly don't think St. Louis will be hoisting the cup this year, unfortunately. (hope I'm wrong)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

A famous St. Louisan once said, "It ain't over till it's over."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0841 (2).jpg (71.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0843 (3).jpg (70.2 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 06-03-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Jeff

Default Hope is Alive!

We were there on Saturday for the rally and festivities. Couldn't score tickets in the range where I was willing to pull the trigger. Went to the cards game with the Cubs instead and endured a 3 hour 37 minute rain delay to see a victory over the Cubbies - worth it!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Jeff- That must have been a long a$$ day Saturday! That is awesome that you stuck with it and were rewarded with a victory over the Cubs. Yeah, baby!

Love that Pierre Laclede statue!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Jeff- That must have been a long a$$ day Saturday! That is awesome that you stuck with it and were rewarded with a victory over the Cubs. Yeah, baby!

Love that Pierre Laclede statue!
We left KC @ 6AM and hit our hotel room about 1:30A.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
We left KC @ 6AM and hit our hotel room about 1:30A.
I mean this is all sincerity, may wife is a saint.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

I never saw Hullie in his restaurant but, Noel and Mrs. Picard would actually take your order, bring your drinks and take your money. Super nice folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noel matches Hull swisle stk.jpg (10.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 1990 Hull 50 50.jpg (9.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

What a tandem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Plante and Hall.jpg (18.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Jeff

Oh man, 1 more please!

Old 06-10-2019, 03:34 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Oh man, 1 more please!
Well Jeff, not sure how Wed nite`s going to go but it should be hell of a game. One thing Boston sports fan are praying for, "we`ve got to end this 120 day championship drought" we just can`t take much more around here ! Enjoy the game sir !
Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Well Jeff, not sure how Wed nite`s going to go but it should be hell of a game. One thing Boston sports fan are praying for, "we`ve got to end this 120 day championship drought" we just can`t take much more around here ! Enjoy the game sir !
That's funny. I'm sure I will one way or the other.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Injured Cardinal catcher, Yadi Molina wore the suspended Ivan Barbashev's jersey to Game 6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yadi Barbashev.jpg (50.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Congrats St. Lou!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png St. Louis.png (6.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 PM
Jeff

Default Wow!

I wondered whether I would live to see it but it happened! LGB!
I guess we're due for a parade!

What a great game by the Blue Notes tonight. After Binnington survived the onslaught in P1 the team took it to Boston!

Congrats Blues!

Old 06-13-2019, 02:52 AM
Murr the Blurr

Turned out like it's supposed to: the team with most Canadians wins!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Turned out like it's supposed to: the team with most Canadians wins!
LOL. I didn't realize this until last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St Louis.jpg (75.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Jeff

Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Mike Dugan

There were over 25,000 Blues fans sitting in the rain at Busch stadium last night. Have the Marlins or Rays drawn that many for a single game all year?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM
H Murphy

Congrats to the Blues, their fans and to Jeff and his family. Man 3 out of 4 in Boston and 5 out of 7 road victories, has that ever happened before ? Kind of bears out what I`ve often thought, there`s nothing like the NHL playoffs and it`s the toughest championship to win. Here in Boston, the narrative seems to be "the team that played better won the cup" and I`ll go right along with that .