NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Good Centering Guide

Ever seen someone list a card as 60/40 and then you look at the scan and it's more like 85/15? Yeah turns out many sellers and even some honest collectors have poor judgment when it comes to accurately decscribing O/C proportions. I found this guide online which I think is pretty good and thought I would share:

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...e-to-centering

What's also cool is at the bottom of this is a guide for different grades / grading standards and what the corresponding centering tolerances are for each grade. This would be helpful for many of those "I've seen worse centered cards that don't have the qualifer!" comments that I see all over the place - not so much here in N54, but on many other collecting groups on social media. Happy reading...

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-25-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Anson

Great link. Although, I would question whether the centering standards still align with the associated grades. I haven't seen a Mint 9 come from a TPG with 60/40 centering recently. Maybe BGS, but only because centering was given an 8 or 8.5, only to have the other subgrades pull it up.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Great link. Although, I would question whether the centering standards still align with the associated grades. I haven't seen a Mint 9 come from a TPG with 60/40 centering recently. Maybe BGS, but only because centering was given an 8 or 8.5, only to have the other subgrades pull it up.
It's good in that it gives examples on the card drawings of how 70/30 is different than 60/40, and so on and so forth. I think most people think they can eyeball it, but if you don't look at a reference every now and then, your perception can sometimes become skewed.

On your other point I will say that I have seen all of the major TPG's be lenient here and there with centering on cards that are otherwise strong examples of the grades they were given. Back centering is supposed to be even more lenient, but I've seen that taken too far as well. I have a '66 Koufax that looks great on the front, but is miscut on the back. Technically it should have the (MC) qualifier or be downgraded even more - but it's not. It's a straight PSA 6.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I bookmarked that page a few years ago and I look at it from time-to-time. It's really good!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:17 PM
K.J. Kin0$hit@

Default centering guide

This guide is very helpful. Thank you very much for sharing.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I bought two a couple of weeks ago. The seller is a board member here and will give us a discount!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I bought two a couple of weeks ago. The seller is a board member here and will give us a discount!
Bought what?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Bought what?
Grademaster Card Centering Tool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trading-Spo...frcectupt=true

Seller is a member here and will give us a discount.