NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Brock-why do you want to own an assault rifle? What would you do with it?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I do not think guns in general should be banned. With that said, what is the purpose of having assault guns? These types of guns are so distrunctive that in anyone's hands, they are too much power. When our constitution was written, assault guns did not exist. Second amendment was good for the time but should not apply to assault weapons. No civilian uses these to hunt game or protect their home! They are used strictly for killing. Even if they were used for hunting, there would be the ethical debate of what is sport and what is overkill. They need to be banned as they serve no useful purpose.
I'm not a hunter, but it's fine that other people are, and I wouldn't take way their guns. I think all the animals I eat are beaten to death in pens, so no guns are necessary.

I did own a Ruger single-six .22, and I loved shooting cans in the canal. In fact, I'm looking for another one. I also like the idea of owning a .44 Blackhawk, and I could rationalize that it's for protecting myself when the end of the world occurs and I have to move to the mountains of Idaho, but the real reason is that it feels good to shoot a really big gun.

Assault rifles I don't get. If it comes to the point that I need one of those to protect myself, it's too late.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageismygame View Post
An assault weapon was not used!!!! One was found in his car. He used 2 handguns to commit the evil that he did. Do not demonize assault rifles just because they look "scary". I use mine to go deer, elk, boar hunting. It is one of the best guns that I have ever owned. In fact, I am buying another one tomorrow.

When the government comes knocking on your door you are gonna wish that you owned an AR.
That's bullshit. If you can't hunt without using an assault rifle, you aren't much of a hunter or sportsman. I suppose you also need an extra large clip in case someone tries to break into your house, right? Maybe the 28th shot is the one that gets it done? Spare me.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This is the best post I've seen today. True, I'm on my second pint at the local pub, but this is still hilarious.

I'm visualizing Brock using his assault rifle and the Red Sox are involved.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Brock

Quote:
I enjoy guns and think they're fun to shoot. I just think it would be cool to own a AK-47 or a M-16, but my real joy would be a Tommy gun(only single burst not fully).

Last edited by yanks12025; 12-14-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What does that mean?
Stick around for another few years and you will find out. My father-in-law is ex-CIA and he tells of things that would make you lose sleep for the rest of your life.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Brock

Quote:
"If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have found other means to kill people."

Other than McVeigh, how many of these mass murderers have used any means other than guns? Just curious.
http://news.yahoo.com/children-stabb...084449002.html
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I enjoy guns and think they're fun to shoot.
Still doesn't justify assault guns. If you want to see how good of a shot someone really is, try a muzzleloader.

Last edited by kmac32; 12-14-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
What if they just send a drone to knock your house out with a missile?
That is where my Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle comes into play.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Stick around for another few years and you will find out. My father-in-law is ex-CIA and he tells of things that would make you lose sleep for the rest of your life.
Oh do tell I love conspiracy theories!! Does this one involve the Illuminati or just Obama?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Allowing minors, to be exposed to gruesome games like Call of Duty does not help either.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Still doesn't justify assault guns. If you want to see how good of a shot someone really is, try a muzzleloader.
Ok so lets say someone goes and shoots up a school with a muzzleloader or a .22, should we then ban them??? Or like I mentioned already, say the guy drove his car through a group of kids and killed 15. Should cars be banned to a limit then? I'm sure more people are killed by stupid people driving a year then stupid people with guns.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Matt

Quote:
"Again the guy would have found other ways to kill people without guns."

I don't believe this reasoning!
What part do you have problems comprehending? It is a pretty simple reasoning.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Matt Hall

If you live in an urban area and feel the need to own assault rifles, imo there's something wrong with you and I hope you're not my neighbor someday.

Ok, i'm ready for the onslaught of retaliatory insults.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Allowing minors, to be exposed to gruesome games like Call of Duty does not help either.

Again video games are not the problem, it's crazy people.

Also if i did buy a assault rifle, it would be when im back in the country and could shot in my back yard and not in a urban area.

Last edited by yanks12025; 12-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Brock--you are raising an argument that has nothing to do with this. The question is if banning assault weapons would save lives and, to that question, I think the answer is yes.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes it can be done, not saying it can't, but which do you think is more likely to result in more deaths all things being equal: a guy with multiple guns or a guy with a knife?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Ok so lets say someone goes and shoots up a school with a muzzleloader or a .22, should we then ban them??? Or like I mentioned already, say the guy drove his car through a group of kids and killed 15. Should cars be banned to a limit then? I'm sure more people are killed by stupid people driving a year then stupid people with guns.
That may be the single stupidest post of the day, if not the year. Do you serioiusly think the shooter is going to kill 27 people with a muzzleloader? If so, you are an idiot. If not, your post is disingenious at best. If you are going to argue the merits of owning assault rifles, at least come up with an argument that isn't completely ridiculous.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Brock

Quote:
Yes it can be done, not saying it can't, but which do you think is more likely to result in more deaths all things being equal: a guy with multiple guns or a guy with a knife?
Well you're talking about banning assault rifles. Even though he didn't use a assault rifle. Either way, what ever weapon he used or the other people have used before too many innocent people have died for nothing.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Chris Hicks

Unlike many of you here, I'm not a father. I do have 4 nephews and 1 niece though who are very dear to my heart. I can't imagine what it'd be like to lose them in a place where they are supposed to be safest. In school. Like some of you have said, I never once felt unsafe in school. Its really a sad day when we have to worry about sending kids to school for fear that one of us may get that phone call that a little one we hold near and dear to our hearts will no longer grace us with their presence on this Earth.
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

"It is a pretty simple reasoning."

Actually, it's simple minded reasoning. What would the killer have done today? Run over his mother with a car. Then go to the school, wait for the kids to get out, and then try to run them over? My sense is that a lot of lives could have been saved if his weapon was a car instead of several guns.
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Cars serve a purpose in general. A single shot 22 or muzzleloader have limited firepower so you wouldn't have mass murder. As I said before I do not propose a ban on guns in general. I advocate a ban on assault weapons. They really serve no purpose in any society unless you are in a battle or a war. Don't think that senario exists in a school or movie theater where people have been killed by idiots using these weapons. Unless you are a soldier somewhere in the world, what's the purpose?
Matt

Quote:
They are great deer, bear, elk, boar hunting guns.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Brock

Quote:

Actually, it's simple minded reasoning. What would the killer have done today? Run over his mother with a car. Then go to the school, wait for the kids to get out, and then try to run them over? My sense is that a lot of lives could have been saved if his weapon was a car instead of several guns.
He could have stabbed them, created a bomb, etc. I'm sure a sicko could come up with other ways.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
That's bullshit. If you can't hunt without using an assault rifle, you aren't much of a hunter or sportsman. I suppose you also need an extra large clip in case someone tries to break into your house, right? Maybe the 28th shot is the one that gets it done? Spare me.
Have you ever shot a bear and the first shot not take him down. Or how about a boar charging at you with it's tusks raised? Just stick to your arm chair hunting.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They are great deer, bear, elk, boar hunting guns.
Isn't it more challenging to hunt with a less lethal weapon? I mean haven't people been hunting since time immemorial without assault rifles?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

An assault rifle is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. Sounds like there are more appropriate ways to deer hunt.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Have you ever shot a bear and the first shot not take him down. Or how about a boar charging at you with it's tusks raised? Just stick to your arm chair hunting.
Lol, I hunt pretrty frequently. What you're saying is you can't shoot, are a pussy, and need the extra firepower to make sure you don't get hurt. That is truly sporting. I can see why you need an assault weapon. Maybe you should try a bazooka. Think that will get it done?
Rob G.

My heart goes out to the families of loved ones lost in Connecticut today. Poor kindergarteners My oldest is in kindergarten.

guns - i don't own one but don't believe they should be banned. How many people did Ted Bundy kill? How many did he kill with a gun?

I agree with Scott and others - lets try to understand WHY those who want to kill think that way, and start there. Taking away peoples freedoms isn't the answer. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

god - I don't buy the argument that taking god out of school has anything to do with an increase in violence. How many wars were started because of "religion"? Probably a good portion.

violent video games - not the problem

baseball cards - not the problem

I do believe loving family helps. But even then there are cases of people's heads just not ticking right. Need to better understand WHY and see if there is a way to help them before something like this happens. Very tragic, I feel for the surviving parents and siblings who will be looking for answers. WHY? I'd give my life to bring back those kids, thats for sure.

edited to add: p.s. can we drop the assault weapon discussion? it has NOTHING to do with what happened today. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Today would've happened with or without a ban on assault weapons

Last edited by tiger8mush; 12-14-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: assault weapons
Ken McMillan

Quote:
An assault rifle is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. Sounds like there are more appropriate ways to deer hunt.
Bow hunting is definitely more challenging.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Brock

But do you guys realize most of these "Assault Rifles" are just rifles. You need a special license for fully auto and stuff. So it's not like these guys are shooting up the schools with machine guns. I'm not a expert in guns, but I'm sure there are hunting rifles that either have the same or higher caliber round then most assault rifles. Like the rifles I looked at buying(AK, M16,etc) are only single shot. So why so much hate against assault rifles.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Matt

Quote:

He could have hacked her up with a $20 hatchet from Walmart and then spent another $50 or so and fire bombed the school.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Brock

Quote:
You need a special license for a fully automatic rifle. These people are using those type of guns, they are using single shot guns and maybe three-round burst but im not sure if you need a license for three-round burst.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Bruce C@rter

Most of the people here that are against ARs don't seem to be against other forms of guns. Why? In the US, assault rifles are not allowed to be fully automatic and the average rate of fire for a AR is 40-60 rpm. Anyone with some experience can take a semi automatic hand gun and shoot that many rounds off in a minute. Also most of the ARs shoot a NATO .223 with is very slightly larger than a .22. Where lots of hand guns shoot much larger shells and do much more damage. Please help me understand why you think ARs are so bad! Please give reasons and not emotions.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
Most of the people here that are against ARs don't seem to be against other forms of guns. Why? In the US, assault rifles are not allowed to be fully automatic and the average rate of fire for a AR is 40-60 rpm. Anyone with some experience can take a semi automatic hand gun and shoot that many rounds off in a minute. Also most of the ARs shoot a NATO .223 with is very slightly larger than a .22. Where lots of hand guns shoot much larger shells and do much more damage. Please help me understand why you think ARs are so bad! Please give reasons and not emotions.
Exactly.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Again video games are not the problem, it's crazy people.

Also if i did buy a assault rifle, it would be when im back in the country and could shot in my back yard and not in a urban area.
As a teenager, I know for a fact video games are a problem. My goodness, kids are up day and night, blowing off heads, stabbing, etc. I'm not saying video games are bad, but there are people who don't understand the term moderation. This addiction, and seeing blood and gore over and over is starting to make these kids immune to feeling remorse. Again, I am not saying all of kids, but honestly there are adolescents that people should be worried about.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
As a teenager, I know for a fact video games are a problem. My goodness, kids are up day and night, blowing off heads, stabbing, etc. I'm not saying video games are bad, but there are people who don't understand the term moderation. This addiction, and seeing blood and gore over and over is starting to make these kids immune to feeling remorse. Again, I am not saying all of kids, but honestly there are adolescents that people should be worried about.
Most, if not all, of the people who commit these mass-killings, are not rational mean people, or people trying to replicate what they saw in a video game. They are mid-20's men having a psychotic break, which almost always manifests itself in extreme anger. Perhaps they picked up some techniques in the video games, but they were going to do something extreme, regardless. I'm in agreement with others that the media exposure and gun availability make the event much more serious than it might be otherwise, but it's happening regardless.

I think you are probably right that the video games affect the thinking and behavior of otherwise normal kids, and that it probably has some bad consequences, but we're not talking events like in Aurora, Arizona, Portland or Connecticut.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Anyone with some experience can take a semi automatic hand gun and shoot that many rounds off in a minute. Also most of the ARs shoot a NATO .223 with is very slightly larger than a .22. Where lots of hand guns shoot much larger shells and do much more damage.
Exactly! That's what I said in the Aurora thread and again earlier in this thread. People who want to continue to bash ARs ignore that fact. I love my 9mm. I own 7 guns and, by far, that is my favorite. If I found myself a victim of a situation as such in Aurora, I would rather have my 9mm over an AR any day.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'm against any kind of gun that's designed for war. 40-60 rpm isn't something you need for deer-hunting or any other kind of sport hunting. And unless you are defending yourself from a hoard of invaders, you don't need 40-60 rpm for self-defense.

To me it's a cost/benefit thing - the costs to society outweigh the benefits to the individual - drastically.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Exactly! That's what I said in the Aurora thread and again earlier in this thread. People who want to continue to bash ARs ignore that fact. I love my 9mm. I own 7 guns and, by far, that is my favorite. If I found myself a victim of a situation as such in Aurora, I would rather have my 9mm over an AR any day.
David, you and I get along, so please don't take this the wrong way.

The last thing I would want in a situation like Aurora, is a guy I don't know, with a 9mm, or any other type of gun, trying to protect me 'just in case' a mass murderer happens to show up. Again, to me the costs outweigh the benefits.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I enjoy guns and think they're fun to shoot. I just think it would be cool to own a AK-47 or a M-16, but my real joy would be a Tommy gun(only single burst not fully).
A Texas Tommy would be more enjoyable.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM

Default shooting....

this is such a tragedy, i don't think we can even digest this yet...the horror of the families going thru right now i can not even imagine...my prayers are with those souls whose lives were tragically snuffed out.......my heart bleeds for them, and their families.....i am truly saddened.....and surprisingly speechless
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Matt

No one is going to change my views or feelings towards my guns and I will probably not change yours so I will continue to conceal carry daily and purchase as many guns as I can. Why? Because that's what I enjoy.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
you don't need 40-60 rpm for self-defense.
When two guys break into my house, I dont want a gun that takes 10 seconds between shots. I want to be able to pull off 3-4 rounds as fast as possible before they can get to me. I'm not planning to shoot all 40-60 rounds but I want the first ones fast and to do that you need a gun with a high rate of fire.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
When two guys break into my house, I dont want a gun that takes 10 seconds between shots. I want to be able to pull off 3-4 rounds as fast as possible before they can get to me. I'm not planning to shoot all 40-60 rounds but I want the first ones fast and to do that you need a gun with a high rate of fire.
Bet my arrow would have the same result at 20 feet. :-). Have you ever seen the movie "Deliverance"?

Last edited by kmac32; 12-14-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Craig Wright

So tragic. When something like this happens it reminds me of the Brenda Spencer shooting spree. Bob Geldof said it best:

I Don't Like Mondays

The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload.
And nobody's gonna go to school today,
She's going to make them stay at home.
And daddy doesn't understand it,
He always said she was good as gold.
And he can see no reasons
'Cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown?
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down.
The telex machine is kept so clean
As it types to a waiting world.
And mother feels so shocked,
Father's world is rocked,
And their thoughts turn to
Their own little girl.
Sweet 16 ain't that peachy keen,
No, it ain't so neat to admit defeat.
They can see no reasons
What reasons do you need.. ooh
-ooh-ooh
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down, down, down... shoot it all down
All the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with her toys a while.
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die.
And then the bullhorn crackles,
And the captain tackles,
With the problems and the hows and whys.
And he can see no reasons
What reason do you need to die, die, ooh...ooh?
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays
Tell me why?
I don't like, I don't like, I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like, I don't like, I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Okay, so what it comes down to is that you feel your need to defend yourself with such effectiveness outweighs the threat that such weapons pose to society if in the wrong hands.

I don't own a gun, and still feel totally safe in my home, so I of course would disagree with you, but it's not on my 'hugely passionate about' list.

But I would feel a helluva lot safer if I felt that as a society, we were making a bigger effort to treat the people with the problems BEFORE they started making the 'which weapon?' decision. That is something that I obviously AM passionate about.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why is it, this long after the shooter has been identified, that the major news networks seem to have ZERO information about him? Didn't we know quite a bit about Loughner and Holmes almost immediately after they were identified?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Why is it, this long after the shooter has been identified, that the major news networks seem to have ZERO information about him? Didn't we know quite a bit about Loughner and Holmes almost immediately after they were identified?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/ny...agewanted=1&hp
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM

So sad, just a terrible thing. Twenty children, as young as five, just indiscriminately killed. Imagine the horror for every little boy and girl who happened to be in the rooms. Teachers and administrators too. And the parents, the poor parents, and their extended family's and the childrens playmates.

My thoughts, my prayers and my tears go out to all.

I have many thoughts on what's been posted, but today is not the day.