NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default Graded Miscut cards

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

It's funny how everyone pounds on PSA for their blunders. SGC makes mistakes too. There are two scans below. One was labeled AUT (authentic) and the other received a grade of SGC20. Same issue of cards (N172) but they had to have been reviewed by two different graders with two different standards. If I were the submitter of the AUT labeled card I would be pretty unhappy about this. The SGC20 card appears more miscut (I don't want to say trimmed) than the AUT labeled card.

Am I imagining that the SGC20 card looks miscut? Does anyone else agree? I've seen a few "miscut" jobs, but this ones a total "hack" job. How it got into an SGC20 holder is beyond me. This is just my opinion, of course.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Technicalities aside, strictly from an aesthetic point of view the Ewing and mascot has far better eye appeal that the Sprague.

I think it's fair to say that it would be impossible for those two cards to have been graded by the same person since the grader of the Sprague was far more lenient (both the left and bottom borders are miscut).

Seeing the two together makes me wonder why the Sprague wasn't given the "AUTHENTIC" designation and the Ewing a numerical grade.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I believe that it is a grading company's job to direct their attention to the degree of preservation of a baseball card only. Imposing their criteria upon the variances of the manufacturer's process and result is totally inappropriate, imho.

Both examples offered above should therefore be graded Mint. Assuming they are unaltered and unworn.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Do you mean "trimmed" instead of "miscut"? Because there is no problem for a grading company to grade a miscut card--they do it all the time. Trimmed is a different story. The lower card looks damaged to me, not altered. The upper card looks altered. IF SGC slabbed it as authentic of its own volition, I am guessing that they made the same determination.

BTW, 1.5 is too high for it--my card in that shape gets a "1".

Also, do you know whether SGC was asked to authenticate or whether it did so itself? If you ask them not to grade just to authenticate, they will.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

I know PSA grades miscuts and gives the MC qualifier. But what about SGC? I recently had a card kicked back from them for being Miscut (as opposed to trimmed).

Brian E.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I don't think either of the Old Judge card pictured above are trimmed. If SGC is saying that the Ewing card is, in fact, trimmed it is not readily apparent to me by naked eye. I'm assuming it is the upper left corner that prompted the decision and that corner looks to be rounded (minor as it is) consistenly with the other three. On the other hand, the bottom of the Sprague has much sharper corners a very wavy cut.

If both cards were raw and someone asked me to guess which one might be trimmed, I'd guess the Sprague.