NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Good Customer Service Award

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I just received an order from Kit Young, with some errors made. One card was from the wrong set, another overgraded IMHO. They handled it very professionally. They are refunding my purchase price plus return shipping costs on the wrong card, no hassles, and are adjusting the price on the overgrade that I've opted to keep anyway.

Since we always flame the bums of the industry, I thought it appropriate to mention that I am pleased with their customer service. Nice to deal with professionals.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Scott Elkins

I called regarding two caramel cards - both listed at $125 each (a VG/EX ungraded E90-1 Tinker and PSA 2 E93 Lajoie). The guy on the phone was very nice. After going to check and see if the cards were still there, he informed me the Tinker had been sold, but they still had the PSA 2 E93 Lajoie. I told him I would take that card and gave my cc info. Went outside, when I came back there was a message on my answering machine to call the guy back regarding my order (he DID give me a toll free # to call). I thought GREAT - he found the E90-1 Tinker! So, I called and asked for the gentleman I had spoken with. He THEN told me that the Lajoie was $175, that the $125 in the mailer was a mistake! I told him to cancel my order! I don't believe I will deal with them again. I always thought a deal was a deal, but guess not!

Anyway, I do believe Kit Young's grading is better than Larry Fritsch - the WORST grading I have ever seen from ANY dealer - MUCH WORSE than Steve Verkman's grading that you people are always knocking! I bought a PR/FR card from Larry that was a HALF OF A CARD!!!! I WOULD HATE TO SEE WHAT HE CALLS POOR!!!!!! I also purchased a "VG/EX" card from Larry that was graded a PR/FR 1!!!!!!!!!!!! At least Verkman is usually ONLY 1-2 grades high!!!!!! I AM DONE WITH THIS MAIL ORDER CRAP - I WILL STICK TO EBAY, WHERE YOU GET TO VIEW FRONT AND BACK (MOST OF THE TIME) THE CARDS YOU ARE BUYING!

I will end on a positive note - the BEST dealer I have EVER purchased cards from is Mike Williams! The cards are graded - sure, but are always NICE for the grade and Mike seems to always voluntarily round down or include shipping and insurance in the price!! The next best (and a close second) dealer I have dealt with outside of eBay is BOTN! Greg is always prompt in returning e-mails and is easy to work with - and all his cards are graded - so, no guessing or worrying!!!!! I really look forward to more dealings with these two dealers!

Old 05-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

I have bought from Kit Young for years and had an overall good experience. The cards tend to be slightly overgraded IMHO but they could say I tend to the strict side. On a couple of notes they have been running a W600 John McGraw in their flyers for over a year now that has a very noticeable trimmed left border and have yet to mention it as being trimmed but saying it had an irregular left border. Last year they had a M101-2 Plank listed on ebay in very nice shape but had what appeared to be a pinhole at the top. I called and ask if it was a pinhole because it was not mentioned in the auction description and they confirmed that it was. I never saw the description of the lot ammended. I have finished a lot of sets with KY and their inventory is expansive. For the mid-grade collector who will pay their rate they are an excellent source of cards.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

the great Acalenes High School shows...so "but all in all, I can't complain." Also, we both went to Carleton College, although I majored in English and Danny Arnaud, and he majored in Some Sport...he graduated 11 years after me.
I once bought a VG card from Fritsch that was green around all the edges. Honest. And it wasn't a '95 Conlon Collection card, either!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Advertising an item at one price then trying to sell something different or at a different price is called bait and switch and is illegal.

I thought I bought the E90-1 Tinker; I got an E91, which I sent back. I wasn't surprised, though, because "E91" and "E90-1" sound a lot alike. I honestly believe the clerk I was dealing with got confused because he kept saying E91 and I kept correcting him with E90-1. Of course, the E90-1 was gone when I called back...

Old 05-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Within the last year (?), I ordered an '84 Fleer Extended Puckett from K.Y., and was sent an '85 Fleer. The person who answered the phone and was in charge of getting the card out was new. I got somewhat angry, because f the difference in price, and already having the other card--and there was a special on the '84 Fleer extended.

No problem with the correction, but--I can't imagine not knowing the difference.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

In reply to Jimmy Scott Elkins' comment on his Larry Fritsch experience.

I returned highly over graded cards I had purchased from Larry Fritsch. I received a full refund but it cost me $59.10 for the round trip. No form of apology was given.

There is an eBay seller attempting to sell an altered N162 he had purchased from Larry Fritsch some time back. Interesting story.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4131526550

Old 05-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

The ebay item description states that the card is an N162 of Dunlap that is the more "rare" Pittsburgh variation.

I'll be honest here, I've never seen a Detroit N162 Dunlap. I've only seen the Pittsburgh card. Does anyone have a Detroit card for sale?

Old 05-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I don't see the problem - lots of men color their hair these days.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Scott Elkins

Hate that happened to you! I really do! But, I guess it is worth it in the long run, to know who NOT to buy from. Luckily, the cards I purchased were under $200 total. I decided that it was not worth sending them back (with insurance and waiting, etc.). I did get lucky and actually made a small profit selling the cards (and listing the grades CORRECTLY)!

Again, dealers like Fristch and Kit Young (who tried to sell me a card for $50 more than it was listed for in his catalog), are the very reasons why I praised Mike Williams and Greg at BOTN! Both answer ALL questions. Both sell graded cards by the top companies (GAI, SGC and PSA). AND Greg has HUGE scans of all his cards for sale on his site (Mike doesn't, but is more than happy to send them to you upon request). Also with the auction houses, I really like Robert Edwards' new bidding format. Scott B. stated in an earlier thread about another auction house that he was rather confident had "shilled" all of his bids to his max the last day of the auction. I believe the SAME thing has happened to me lately in a couple of auctions, so the only major auction house I am going to be dealing with in the future is Robert Edwards (and 19th Century, which I just signed up with, as it looks like their cards end at some really good deals!).

That's another thing that has perturbed me lately - nobody bidding on the auction(s) and no activity, then (in the wee hours of the morning) the lot(s) suddenly reach your max bid - I could understand that once or twice, but NOT every time!

Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator

I returned the bum Tinker via certified mail so I'd have a delivery receipt. They got it on 5/22/04, which they confirmed on the phone. As of today, however, I still don't have a refund. I called and was told that the person who processes it is out today and they will see to it that it is processed on Monday. WHAT ABOUT THE LAST 20 DAYS?????

Old 06-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: aconte

I have only bought one time from them. But it was
enough. I bought a 53 Red man Charlie Dressen advertised
as ex. It was a poor condition maybe fair at a stretch.
Only $20 and yes I could of called for a refund but not
worth the hassle. The $20 was the best $20 spent.

aconte

Old 06-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Both purchases from Kit Young have been fine - I made an offer on two e95's that had twice failed to hit the minimum on ebay. They took my offer, which was a fair one. I called about a t206 green Cobb that was graded vgex, but priced at vg. They insisted it was a solid vgex, which it was not, but the price was fair and I was very happy with the card.

I have not met a single dealer who does not overgrade his cards by at least 1/2 grade, but most are willing to sell at fair market price when asked.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Administrator

After they got their act together, they refunded the E91 plus my return shipping cost, and cut $20 from the $120 I paid for the T206 Tinker portrait. I sent the card to SGC for review and they agreed with me--it came back a 20 (fair) due to that bad corner. So, the vg-ex advertised card turned out to be not one, not two, but three grades lower.

Now, in their defense, the card was very nice vg but for that corner; I can see how someone not paying attention very closely would slap a vg-ex on the card (the traditional dealer's 1 grade slide included). It doesn't excuse the mistake or their dragging their heels on the refund, but (as Chris Rock said about wife beating) I do understand.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

KIT YOUNG SPELLS - CLASS! I have had nothing but super dealings and when a mistake is made (which is rare), it is fixed immediately! Nothing but the best here, though you will pay for it but you get what you pay for and you get quality and peace of mind dealing with Kit and his staff! thanks KIT YOUNG and STAFF.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Administrator

I mean, there was a slight crease, which broke the surface at one tiny spot. Who would think to look for trimming? beautriful card. Six months later, someone pointed out the me that it was trimmed--on all four sides, yet. I didn't even TRY to return it; too much time had elapsed. After
the trimming had been pointed out to me, it looked real obvious...