NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Mark Fox

Default That moment after you make a purchase and realize... you already had one!

This is the first time it has happened for me. A commercial break during football last night and I do a quick Ebay search on my phone for items ending soon. 45 seconds left on a T205 at a reasonable price...

Thought process: Not enough time to double check my set checklist...I dont think I have this one yet... down to 30 seconds... Its a good price... I'm confident I dont have it... lock in a bid with 10 seconds to go... and a win. Yay!

Check my set checklist.... Awe man! Introducing my first T205 duplicate.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Doug

And so starts set #2.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I seemed to always buy duplicates when I was collecting T205's also. It must be the gold borders.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM

1) You now have 'inventory'

2) At bars you can now brag "Believe it, folks. I have two of those puppies."

#1 reminds me of movie director Barry Levinson who said his dad was a grocer. When Barry was young and couldn't sell his scripts, his dad said that was okay because he had inventory and inventory was important. When Barry became successful and sold his scripts, he said his dad was worried because his son no longer had inventory.

Last edited by drc; 11-19-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
This is the first time it has happened for me. A commercial break during football last night and I do a quick Ebay search on my phone for items ending soon. 45 seconds left on a T205 at a reasonable price...

Thought process: Not enough time to double check my set checklist...I dont think I have this one yet... down to 30 seconds... Its a good price... I'm confident I dont have it... lock in a bid with 10 seconds to go... and a win. Yay!

I'm glad to hear that when you make a purchase, regardless of any errors in your thought process, you keep the item. Many collectors would have asked you to cancel the transaction.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post

I've done this before, it is frustrating. Luckily I have usually been able to flip it on ebay or Net 54 and recover my purchase price. Don't feel bad, it happens to us all
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Can you top buying the same card twice at the same card show? I did it when I started putting together a 56 Topps set. Bought two Early Wynn cards

I also bought a 1959 Topps Colavito/Doby/Minoso card off ebay cheap one time, go to put it with my other cards after I get it only to find out I already had two of them. I didn't even remember buying one, now I got three.

The difference is, when you buy more than one of a pre-war card, you're a hoarder!
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Did the same on Saturday on a T206 Lennox. Got the win notice yesterday and went to update my checklist. Lo and behold... Is Lennox no 2... But wait... Could it be... Yes!! I am now a back collector, with a Lennox American Beauty and Sovereign!!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM
John Harrell

Default Shucks!!

I've done that more than once with the 205 set and at least once with the Tattoo Orbit set and U.S. Caramel. Luckily I was able to at least trade the dupes for cards I needed, but boy does it make you feel dumb. Always it is a last second purchase.

John
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have bought cards I already have on far more than a few occasions. If you are in the hobby long enough the odds are pretty good that you will do it.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Mike

I haven't done it with any Pre-War but I have done it a number of times. I just sent a package off this morning with a 51 Topps Red Back Feller that I bought at a local show. I didn't have my checklist with me but I was SURE I needed it. He kicked around the outskirts of the collection for six months or so until I found a home for him.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Default Different versions?

My first thought is always, "aw, man!" but then my second thought is "try to spot the difference". It's happened to me few times, with the result being I ended up with different version cards (different back offer dates for 'duplicate' Red Man cards, and different color card stock for a pair of 'identical' 56 topps cards.) Turning lemons into lemonade! Then of course you also have the chance to compare and keep the best one...who doesn't like that?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I am not a smart man.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Man Chris, ten of them? Nine I would believe, but at this point you might fall under the hoarder category. Don't worry, I've been called that too for my collecting habits. You don't want to see the scan(again) that I could put up
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

A nice problem to have
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Default And now a personal question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I am not a smart man.

How many cats share your living space ?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Man Chris, ten of them? Nine I would believe, but at this point you might fall under the hoarder category. Don't worry, I've been called that too for my collecting habits. You don't want to see the scan(again) that I could put up
Go for it, you hoarder you!!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM

I put the shameful scan in the new Old Judge thread. Can't believe I made the same mistake 33 times
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Mark

he must be your favorite player to have two of the same card
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Fine line

Me thinks it's a fine line between acquiring two of the same cards on accident to doing the same thing on purpose. Maybe should be called a slippery slope instead...

Just this week I bought a card I already had because I didn't write down all the ones I previously had...now I can write it down with a 2X next to it...but then all the others will look "slightly off" in my twisted mind...so I might have to buy more of them to even it up...

I have CDO....that's the same as OCD but with the letters in the correct order

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.