NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
At one time back in the 80's, I had a reprint of the Jim Brown Post cereal card, so I know that some reprints were made. It did have "REPRINT" printed on it where the Post logo should have been. Not sure about your Unitas. All of my Post cards have the same thickness, but I haven't seen the quantity of examples that others on this board have seen. And, by the way, welcome to the board!
I have the complete set plus some doubles and they are all the same thickness. All were hand cut from cereal boxes.

jeff
Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I have the complete set plus some doubles and they are all the same thickness. All were hand cut from cereal boxes.

That's worrisome to me. This card is the only one I have that is noticeably thinner. Opinions?
Not the best scan in the world.
jeff
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Ty T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
Oh, wow. This is a tough one. To me, the everything on the front seems spot on, unless I'm missing something. So I can see where the difference in thickness would be your concern. I'm going to "have a little faith baby" and hope for you that it was just a box manufacturing mishap, but if anybody has come across any counterfeits of these cards or can provide any more insight, please chime in. If you have a magnifier, compare the printing layout of your Unitas to the others that you have.

Last edited by oddball; 06-21-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM

I've checked it out using a 16x jewelers loupe and the dot pattern looks similar to the others I have. I can also look at it on edge, next to any other card, and it seems to be a little over half the thickness of the others.

I had a chance 2 weeks ago, at a local card show, to examine an uncut panel with Unitas on it, but didn't even think about it then. Oh well.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:37 PM

Did a little un-scientific investigating. Right now, I'm wishing I had a paper thickness gauge, but I don't. However, I do have a cheap digital caliper, so I thought I'd give it a try. Measuring the Unitas and another random card (Bill Pellington was handy) in several places around the card, the Unitas averaged .34mm (about .013") and the Pellington averaged .46mm (about .018"). that seems like a significant difference to me, but maybe I'm just being hypercritical and trying to find an excuse to buy another Unitas.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM

That's awesome news and great information, thanks!

I do have other questions about the set. Since I've been looking on ebay at other Unitas cards for comparison, I started to look at the cards in the set in general and have started to see "differences" in printing (variations?) on most cards.
Here is an example (scans borrowed)

@ cards of Ed Khayat, from the Eagles. At first glance they are just the same card, until you start to study and compare the pictures. The card on top has the photo section "shifted" slightly upward leaving a smaller gap between the tower in the background and the upper border of the photo, compared to the card on the bottom. There is more grass showing between his shoes and the bottom border of the picture as well. But the ting that intrigues me the most is the 2 white flagpoles you can see in the bottom card, on the building behind the player (I'm assuming this may be part of Municipal Stadium?) have been removed from the top card. I see this same phenomenon on a majority of the Eagles cards as well.

Do you know if there were multuiple printings of these? Maybe using different plates/screens? maybe printed in 2 different locations?

I've seen subtle differences like these in a majority of the cards I look at from this set.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post

Very cool booklet! Was this an insert in boxes of cereal that the cards were on?