NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default baseball authentication help

Posted By: Josiah

Hi, I have a baseball that has some autographs on it but I am not sure that they were real. I am gonna get some laughs for this one, but seriously my grandma found it and gave it to me a few years back. I myself doubt that it is real because I am not one to run into such luck. Anyways, the ball is a Wilson made of horsehide, it says A 1054 cushioned cork center, and also reads regulation league. As best as I can tell the readable autographs on it are as follows: Felipe Alou, Norm Cash, Ernie Banks, Ray Sadecki, and Orlando Espada. There are a few others, but I am unable to make them out. Does anyone know if a ball of this kind was made as a replica back in the day, or if it sounds like an authentic. The autographs are far from mint for the most part, but I wonder if this is worth anything.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

You'd have to post a scan. It's possible it's real. I've never heard of anyone forging Ray Sadecki's autograph, and there are a lot of genuine team and group signed balls out there. It's always possible for someone stumble across a team signed ball or program at an estate sale, garage sale or such.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

A couple things. First, it doesn't sound like a Major leauge ball. Which hurts it. Secondly, I am not sure why it has signatures from so many different players from different teams. All star game etc. etc. or who knows. You will have to have it sent off for authentication. No one can give it a value, or sell it until that happens. Who'd buy it? I recently got a ball back from PSA that was signed by the 1956 Yankees team. I know the guy who had it since his dad gave it to him as a gift back after the world series in 56. Upon first sight I knew the Mantle was fake. I have some mantles, and I knew immediately. But I sent it off to PSA anyway. I love their description of the ball "Autograph is a non-malicious secretarial or clubhouse version " The reason I mention this, is because, here is a guy had held onto this ball for 51 years, and had gotten it from his dad, now finds out it is all a fraud, except for the Skowron and Berra. So you never know. Have it looked at. I will cost you though.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I would but I don't have a camera right now, only a scanner.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

PSA charges like what $200 for multi-sig authentication?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

$150.00 for the Yankees ball.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

My recommendation is you scan the signatures and post them here. You can also email them to my above linked email. For a group signed ball, comparing the signatures to known real signatures will give a good idea of authenticity, including weeding out of obvious fakes.

There are genuine multi-team old timer signed balls, where the sigs were obtained at an old timer game, local charity function or such. In fact, I've seen Banks and Alou signatures on such balls. Since your signatures are hodge podge, it would be less likely there are secretarial signatures if it's genuine. Also, I can't recall ever seeing a secretarial Banks or Alou.

Sending it to PSA/DNA wouldn't be cost effective, as your ball, if genuine, wouldn't be worth enough. However, if genuine it's worth a few bucks.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I appreciate your exuberance but this board is for talking about Pre-War vintage baseball cards. Please be careful of what you are requesting...also, please read the forum rules.
thanks
leon aka moderator dude

Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I wasn't suggesting his ball was secretarial. "In fact I doubt it is". I was simply relaying a recent happening that I was involved in. And yes, the signatures could have been obtained in many ways. Playing days, retirement years etc. etc.