NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Does 'Dmitri Young Collection' increase the value?

Was wondering if the designation on the PSA holder as being part of the 'Dmitri Young Collection' increases the value of the card. Look at this PSA 10 1985 Topps Tiffany Clemens : 3 bidders over $7k!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It wouldn't to me because I barely know who the guy is. It might to others and probably will to some PSA set registry types...I like the old collectors names on them not new ones.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Not bad for a second year card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not bad for a second year card.
Roger is the greatest of all time and if Dmitri was real lucky maybe he got to icy hot Rogers bag.

EDIT: To add I would actually pay less because the flip has Dmitris name on it.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-19-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Chris

I have paid a premium for player owned cards/memorabilia in the past, but only when that memorabilia related to the specific player. I wouldn’t pay more for this guy’s cards, particularly as my understanding is that a lot of them were generously graded.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

*double post*
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 12-19-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It may not matter much to those that have responded yet, but yes, there are people who pay a premium for Dmitri Young collection cards. It still has an aura of positivity when it is discussed in most places online.
The press and publicity it had when he was assembling the collection and then when he sold made it part of card collecting lore.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I have paid a premium for player owned cards/memorabilia in the past, but only when that memorabilia related to the specific player. I wouldn’t pay more for this guy’s cards, particularly as my understanding is that a lot of them were generously graded.
This right here.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
This is the problem with the Gem Mint grade, at least on some issues as best I can tell it's a pretty arbitrary call between a 9 and a 10.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This is the problem with the Gem Mint grade, at least on some issues as best I can tell it's a pretty arbitrary call between a 9 and a 10.
That’s why I collect primarily PSA 1s. Pretty easy to identify
Old 12-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Brandon Bailey

Who wouldn’t want a Card owned by a former player nick named the meat hook. It wouldn’t matter to me who owned the card,but the first National in Baltimore when he displayed his collection I happened to walk over back to back mornings from the Hilton to the convention center with him and He couldn’t have been a nicer guy to talk with, he made sure I brought my sons by on the free kids day to get a picture.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
Who wouldn’t want a Card owned by a former player nick named the meat hook. It wouldn’t matter to me who owned the card,but the first National in Baltimore when he displayed his collection I happened to walk over back to back mornings from the Hilton to the convention center with him and He couldn’t have been a nicer guy to talk with, he made sure I brought my sons by on the free kids day to get a picture.
Definitely one who flew under the radar in terms of being one of the “good guys” of the game. Loved watching him play in Cincinnati growing up and can remember him signing for hours after games! Also, I believe all the proceeds from the sale of his collection went to charity. Total class act!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 PM
Larry

Simple answer: No. I watched him play extensively for the Tigers. A sometimes good, but certainly never great player. His prior ownership adds nothing in terms of pedigree for me.

Happy holidays,

Larry
Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Definitely one who flew under the radar in terms of being one of the “good guys” of the game. Loved watching him play in Cincinnati growing up and can remember him signing for hours after games! Also, I believe all the proceeds from the sale of his collection went to charity. Total class act!
I remember reading a story where he said he would likely leave them to his children. Wonder why the change of heart?

If the proceeds did go to charity, then good on him!

Last edited by irv; 12-20-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I remember reading a story where he said he would likely leave them to his children. Wonder why the change of heart?

If the proceeds did go to charity, then good on him!
Much of the proceeds went to his foundation to teach inner city kids how to play baseball.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Default 93 SP Jeter PSA 10

The Jeter SP PSA 10 was reslabbed without the pedigree label of his collection.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
Much of the proceeds went to his foundation to teach inner city kids how to play baseball.
Well, good on him. I still wonder why he swayed from leaving them to his children but maybe that was their wish as well?