NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What percentage of all (authentic) T206 Wagners produced still exist?
<1% (over 5000 released) 12 16.22%
Between 1% and 10% (500-5000 released) 22 29.73%
Between 10% and 25% (200-500 released) 20 27.03%
Over 25% (less than 200 released) 20 27.03%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2022, 10:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default How many Wags?

It seems like a Wagner is popping up once or twice a year in auctions these days. And crowd wisdom seems to peg the total number of Wagners surviving to be around 50, give or take a few that haven't see light in a while. T206Resource.com shows 46 unique examples.

What percentage of the Wagners that left the factory do you think survive to this day? 10%? - meaning there were ~500 issued. 50%? - meaning there were ~100 issued? Or maybe 1%, meaning that there were 5000 released in cigarette packs.

The true answer may be lost to time, but it is something we can take an educated guess at. So what's your estimate? Of all the Wagners that we can hold in our hands today, what percentage does that represent of all the ones that were released, and therefore existed at some point in the past?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-06-2022, 07:01 AM
Scott Russell

Ostensibly the percentage should be the same as any other major star. Unfortunately I don't think we have much in the way of production numbers on say the 4 Cobb cards. You could also argue that it might be a higher percentage because it was known pretty early on by Burdick etc that it was tough, so probably less likely to have been destroyed/lost at an earlier date than most cards.

Just to make up numbers, if 100,000 Red Cobbs were produced and there are 5,000 left today I would expect that 5% of the Wagner's survived also putting the original number at somewhere around 1,000. I just pulled those numbers out of the air to illustrate the logic though. You might also have to deal with back/factory info to account for differing production runs, though the Wags all have common backs AFAIK
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-06-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:12 AM

I think it was far less than any of those choices. We have articles from 1909 that say kids were looking for that card as well as for Cobb. However, where there are articles talking about people finding Cobb, there are none that I know about finding a Wagner. The card wasn't even known to the hobby until 1930. If there were thousands or even hundreds, surely a few collectors would know someone who found a Wagner.

The card was instantly the most valuable baseball card when discovered. When most cards were a penny or two, Wagner was $50.00. People have a tendency to hold on to valuable items. During WWII when people were recycling paper, people would be much more likely to have kept a Wagner than any other t206, even Cobb. In my opinion at least 50% of Wagners still exist.

Last edited by rats60; 05-06-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:02 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Also, t206s are plentiful. Every major auction in the last 50 years have huge groups of them. If there were that many more Wagners, there would be more known copies. Surprised there are 46 known.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-06-2022, 09:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I think the only reason it feels like there are more and the only reason why we see them more is because owners of those cards now want to profit off the recent spikes in prices.
This is happening with a lot of cards that we rarely saw hit auction in the last 5 to 10 years but with the new higher prices people are taking the profits.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-06-2022, 09:18 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thought for a moment we were discussing Wives and Girlfriends. Mildly disappointed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...aft-picks.html
Old 05-06-2022, 12:24 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Thought for a moment we were discussing Wives and Girlfriends. Mildly disappointed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...aft-picks.html
Me too. Anyway, I vote for Paulina Gretzky. If I were married to her, I'd be using my Woods all the time..
Old 05-06-2022, 01:34 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
It seems like a Wagner is popping up once or twice a year in auctions these days. And crowd wisdom seems to peg the total number of Wagners surviving to be around 50, give or take a few that haven't see light in a while. T206Resource.com shows 46 unique examples.

What percentage of the Wagners that left the factory do you think survive to this day? 10%? - meaning there were ~500 issued. 50%? - meaning there were ~100 issued? Or maybe 1%, meaning that there were 5000 released in cigarette packs.

The true answer may be lost to time, but it is something we can take an educated guess at. So what's your estimate? Of all the Wagners that we can hold in our hands today, what percentage does that represent of all the ones that were released, and therefore existed at some point in the past?
Once or twice a year? I think they have been showing up almost 1 a month for the past 5-6 months.
Last time I checked combined PSA and SGC pop report was in the low 60's.
Not sure what you are really looking for with your question - as previously stated it is very known that not many Wagners (relative to other players, Doyle error and Plank excepted) made it into the hands of the tobacco buying public. The Irony to me is there are quite a few cards with significantly lower populations/examples available - just likely none that will ever reach the storied level and demand that the T206 has.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I gotta believe there were a lot more released than we can imagine. (Forgive the ignorance...) Did Wagner, in fact, tell the tobacco monger(s) to shove it and remove his cards from their products? Is it documented? (I thought the anti-tobacco 'story' was more or less anecdotal.) If that's a "yes," then logically there would've been plenty out in the marketplace before the controversy unfolded, and the cards ceased being printed. Those Honus horses would've left the barn in the same quantities as the other players (assuming it wasn't a short-print scenario, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I have always gone by the 50 or less theory..
Old 05-06-2022, 06:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

We have production numbers (which many not even be complete due to the Brett Litho. fire) for some of the other T card sets. Of course, we do not have a total count of surviving cards to calculate the %, but it seems the % is pretty clearly very, very low for them. The survival rate of all T cards are probably pretty similar.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:10 AM
Wayne V

Default Just guessing

It's hard to vote in the poll, due to we just have so little information to work with. Here would be my guesses.
The T206 set was issued over 100 years ago. For most of those 100+ years, probably 99% of the population viewed T206 cards as worthless pieces of paper. I would guess 99% of the T206 cards have been either thrown away or destroyed, or just haven't been found yet.
It seems 45 to 70 Wagner's (various opinions) still exist. I would think that is more than 1% of the Wagner's created. Maybe 10%. The Wagner was known as rare and somewhat valuable, but by what percentage of the population - 5% ?
So that's my guesses. Around 500 Wagner's were made, 10% are left.
One thing I am certain of. More Wagners will be found and pop up over time. That is one of the great things about our hobby. Stuff is always being found that was lost, misplaced, or just not known to be valuable.

Last edited by cannonballsun; 05-07-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:30 AM
Wayne V

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
We have production numbers (which many not even be complete due to the Brett Litho. fire) for some of the other T card sets. Of course, we do not have a total count of surviving cards to calculate the %, but it seems the % is pretty clearly very, very low for them. The survival rate of all T cards are probably pretty similar.
I was not familiar with the production numbers, so I googled it. An article in the Sports Collector's Digest said that production could be as high as 370 million (based on cigarette pack sales), and as many as 1.6 million T206 cards still exist. Those are huge numbers, but definitely a very low survival rate.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:48 AM
Mike

I don't believe anyone ever verified that a Wagner card was actually inserted into a pack. Did any of the old-timers ever report someone getting one in a pack of cigarettes ?
Old 05-07-2022, 08:25 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I don't believe anyone ever verified that a Wagner card was actually inserted into a pack. Did any of the old-timers ever report someone getting one in a pack of cigarettes ?
I think there's enough evidence to assume he was inserted in Sweet Caporal packs, trying to even guess how many is hard to do because there's nothing to compare it with.
I believe there were a few series of SC150/25 and SC150/30 printings and Wagner was included in only one of those printings.

Last edited by Pat R; 05-07-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:16 AM

Default Pat

+ 1 and like plank....