NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default is this legit? (Mantle cards)

Posted By: Patrick

Im new at this and dont know how to link up this ebay auction. It is itme # 5127262113. Are the Mantles legit?? Thanks for help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5127262113

[edited to add link, title]

Old 10-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

First off, this guy has a 100% feedback record of 65 (80 separate transactions) and of those, only TWO are from items he was selling. It would be a perfect scam - buy a lot of items, get a modest (65) perfect feedback rating, and then sell a BIG DOLLAR auction.

Some other signs:

"My dad has been collecting cards for over 50 years and has passed these all down to me, I have no clue what they are worth, probably alot. I only started collecting a few years ago. I really was never into baseball card collecting, I guess I wanted to be like dad it is not for me."

Oh come on now. First of all, why launch into an elaborate story if you're not trying to convince someone about legitimacy. He has no clue what they're worth? He never bought a book or went on the internet, on ebay or anything just for a few minutes to get a general idea? He only started collecting a FEW years ago, but doesn't know what they're worth? How did he collect cards without getting a GENERAL sense of worth at the minimum?

"I have no idea who all these players are. I know some of the new players.I wanted to show everything so I have taken 96 pictures of this auction. I took good pictures of everything, there is so much more. I have been taking pictures and scanning these items for days and to be honest with you, I am done scanning.B elieve me there is ALOT more."

No idea who they are? He wants to give the impression that he's clueless as to how valuable these cards are so you think you're getting a GREAT DEAL. He sure took a lot of pictures, I'll give him that. Is there any good reason why they're ALL blurry?

"I scanned the cards that were in fair condition. Most of the other have not been touched for probably 20 years and are in excellent condition. My dad kept them in plastic wrap. He said he only collect old cards, primarily stars."

How convenient - only old cards and stars. So there are lots more, but he didn't photograph the ones in excellent condition, only the ones in "fair" condition. What gives?

"I am not a professional so you probably know better."

A VERY common scammer line - wants you to think you know much better than him so again you think you're making off like a bandit.

"No guarantees, all sales are final and as is."

Another VERY common scammer line. That's a lot of money to spend without a guarantee, don't you think?

"I only except personal checks, money orders, cashier checks and certified checks. Please allow personal checks 14 business days to clear all other out of town checks 5 to 7 business days to clear."

Harder to get your money back than with paypal. Another common scammer line - and the time for checks to clear seems a bit long perhaps.

"My future wife is very stern on one rule, no coming to my home. Last time I listed something, I had people show up at my home without permission, and tons of calls from dealers. Please understand.."

Before even finishing reading this auction, I was going to suggest asking him if you could pick these cards up so you could see them for yourself, but he's already anticipated this (a common scammer technique). His future wife, huh? Very convenient. And this part is totally ridiculous - he's had people show up at his house without permission? How? Did he give out his address? When, on the two auctions where he was a seller? Tons of calls from dealers? Did he give out his phone number? Give me a break.

I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR this thing...

Old 10-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Administrator

"I have been taking pictures and scanning these items for days and to be honest with you, I am done scanning.B elieve me there is ALOT more."

He's anticipating people want to get better scans since they're all blurry, especially of the better condition cards he didn't photograph. He's circumventing this so you can't see what the cards really look like, be sure if they're legit or if they're even his. Maybe he stole the "scans." They're not really scans, they're digitial pictures, and he sucks at taking pictures. I don't think his "future wife" would appreciate it if he took the photos at their honeymoon, because they'd ALL be blurry!

Old 10-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Administrator

"A few people e-mailed me stated I would get more money if I got these cards graded by some company called PSA. I researched this, look at this horror story. No thanks. Also, as I stated most of these cards have been in my dad's possession since his childhood.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1096145313&lp=1096264646

I hope he's reading this right now since he obviously had the presence of mind to do some research and found Net54. He can research to determine why his cards shouldn't be graded, but not to determine how much they're worth? Give me a friggin break. Very convenient reason why he didn't get these cards authenticated for your protection. I don't know how much I'd trust PSA either, but it's just a lame excuse.

Stay FAAAAAAAR away...

Old 10-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks a lot for your input Gary. I also felt strongly he wasn't legit, but wanted to get opinions for the best!!
Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator

I'm somewhat of a newbie too, so I'm not an expert. Wait to see what other board members say first as well. I have been watching ebay and scammers closely for a little while now, so I am on to many of their common tricks, but there are many others here who know far more than I. I'd love to hear what they have to say, if they agree with me, etc...

p.s. - i don't mean to give the impression i'm not confident in my assertions - i am, and i wouldn't go anywhere NEAR this auction, but i'd hate to have you go JUST by what i have to say when there are so many qualified people on this board who can also give an opinion.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Administrator

I appreciate your honesty!! I am a newbie to the board, and just like to get other's opinions. You seem to hit on every thing I thought was bad about this auction. So, like you said everybody needs to stay far away!!
Thanks again Gary

Old 10-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

all counts. this is ebay garbage

Old 10-03-2004, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Card Avenger

THIEF. TRIED SAME SCAM 2 MONTHS AGO. CHANGED USER ID ETC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5112609839

Old 10-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

this violates a few of them.

Run like a Frenchman fleeing a German army...

Old 10-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

He says after researching SOME COMPANY named PSA he does not want to get them graded. Yet he has some PSA graded cards in the lot. hmmmm.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tex

...all those sellers left him positive feedback.

The funny thing is, a gem elite dealer will probably win this auction and show the scammer how to really pull a scam.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tex

...he tipped his hand by posting pics of the Mantle cards in PSA holders (with most of the holder cropped out).