NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Default Previously unknown Babe Ruth photograph?

I was hoping someone here could shed some light on a family heirloom. First a little backstory: Sammy Vick played right field for the Yankees from 1917-1920, he was my grandmother's first cousin. He also has the dubious distinction of being the man that was replaced in right field by Babe Ruthl. The rest is history. Ruth went on to become "The Babe," and Sammy floated around the minor's for a while until his career ended. Before my grandfather died, he gave me a photograph of Sammy Vick, Babe Ruth, and Ping Bodie (I think) at spring training before the 1920 season. It is signed by Sammy Vick and Babe Ruth. Considering it is almost 100 years old and there is no fading, etc. on the signatures, I'm fairly certain that what I have is, in fact, a copy of the original (the original now lost, I'm sure). However, It seems as if it is still a previously unknown photograph of Babe Ruth before he was "The Babe," standing next to the man he would eventually replace. I would never get rid of it because of the family connection and the fact that my grandfather gave it to me, but do any of you think that the Yankees or MLB might be interested in using it? I honestly have no idea if they would say, "wow that's the greatest thing ever," or "so what?" I'm not a memorabilia collector, so I don't know what is important and what is just mildly interesting.

Here is a link to the photograph (the "COPY" added by me)
http://imgur.com/Zh83Rah
Old 12-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Bill Boyd

Northlamar,
It is an interesting piece, and if you are willing to share the photo, then contact the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY and see if they are interested. If they are not, then contact the Babe Ruth Musuem in Baltimore, they may be interested. That would be my start.
You can easily obtain the contact information through their WEB sites.
Even if there is a similar photo like yours, there is a very good chance that it is not signed. They would probably be interested.
Good Luck

Last edited by billyb; 12-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Don Stokes

You are right on all three players. The photo was in The New York Herald March 21, 1920. It is a great photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yankee outfielders 1920.jpg (75.0 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by Dto7; 12-25-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks so much for the information. I've been scouring the internet looking for information on the picture. I'll be sure to contact The HOF and the Babe Ruth museum to see if they would be interested in using it.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Brandon

That's a cool photo and interesting you are related to Vick. Your photo is definately a keeper. I recently picked up his 1920 contract with the Yankees... I was adding Ban Johnson/Jacob Ruppert to my HOF auto collection...but I found it interesting to read about Vick and how he once punched his manager Miller Huggins in an argument.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball memorabilia 028.jpg (73.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg baseball memorabilia 032.jpg (72.1 KB, 148 views)