NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Yankee Stadium Turnstile?

I was at an antiques show today and a dealer friend showed me the photo below of a turnstile he is considering...He was told it's from Yankee Stadium....I know nothing about turnstiles but I told him I'd post it here for a consensus....This is the only photo I have, sorry for the poor definition.

The dealer would be paying pretty serious money...Can anyone tell if it's from Yankee Stadium?....I know this is a tall order based on this one little photo....but can anyone tell what to look for that would I.D. it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Pere...item2eb955b65b
RANGER STADIUM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHICAGO-STAD...item4842fcb40e
CHICAGO STADIUM

With just a cursory search I found two other turnstiles on eBay, links above, that look identical to the one below my dealer friend is considering...

Photobucket

Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Al

Default turnstile

Hi Carlton,
Having been to old yankee stadium many times I can tell you the style is correct and that turnstile has been used at many venues but I never remember it ever being Red in color at yankee stadium always the yankee blue on the turnstile. If you google yankee turnstile you will see one that I believe is correct in color. Al

Last edited by batsballsbases; 12-04-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM

"Yankee Blue" is a creation of the Steinbrenner-era Yankees. That could be a genuine 50s-60s Yankee turnstile.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Carlton,

FYI, Here is the identical turnstile, as in THE same one, that was auctioned off with a winning bid of $1,875.

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct.../37/lot/11743/
Quote:
A vintage turnstile removed from Yankee Stadium during a mid-1970s renovation. Manufactured by Perey of New York, the turnstile is red but was likely originally green. There is a counter and Yankees sticker on the end. Not to be confused with the more modern turnstiles salvaged from the recent demolition of Yankee Stadium. 38 by 27 1/2 by 22 inches

Note the number "19" and the identical scuffing/loss of paint,etc.

The pic you posted looks like a poor quality cropped picture of the auction image!

And about halfway down on the following page is a pic of a similar turnstile from Yankee Stadium in Cooperstown.
http://kabsy77.blogspot.com/2007/06/...vel-diary.html

Last edited by timzcardz; 12-06-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Just realized that the acution I listed above closed on 12/03, so either your friend won it already or is buying from the winner?

Also there is a 25% buyer's premium that goes on top of the bid, plus another 3% if bid online! YIKES!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
T!M R10rd@n

And another one auctioned in 2003. $2906 with the juice.

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...dium-Turnstile
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Carlton,

FYI, Here is the identical turnstile, as in THE same one, that was auctioned off with a winning bid of $1,875.

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct.../37/lot/11743/

Note the number "19" and the identical scuffing/loss of paint,etc.

The pic you posted looks like a poor quality cropped picture of the auction image!

And about halfway down on the following page is a pic of a similar turnstile from Yankee Stadium in Cooperstown.
http://kabsy77.blogspot.com/2007/06/...vel-diary.html
Tim...Wow, you are the man!...great detective work..you actually nailed it...the exact one...Well anyway...I'm sure my dealer friend will find this very interesting...the price he told me he was considering paying for it was like over doulble the Leland's $2906.00...And I had no idea they go in the $2,000.00-$3,000.00 range...matter fact that's exactly why I offered to post it here...to see if it was real...which it appears to be...and to get a handle on the market value...which we have...thanks to you!

I will say this though...The king of turnstiles would have to be ones from Yankee Stadium...and although I suspect they are for the advanced collector...$2,906.00 could be a bargain...I speculate it could depend on how many are out there....Say you're an advanced Yankees collector....you've got everything...you gotta have the turnstile!...How heady would it be for everyone that comes to see your collection walks thru the turnstile?

Thanks again for your great detective work.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Carlton, You're welcome. Glad to be of assistance, and thank you for all of the things that you share here and on your site.

I can see how your friend, knowing that the owner of this turnstile paid around $2400, could benefit from it in negotiating!

It appears that the "over doulble the Leland's $2906.00" price would be insane.

Was the dealer looking at this to own or to flip? Obviously purchasing this to flip would appear to be useless as there just doesn't appear to be room for two to profit from it, unless of course the dealer has a buyer lined up that has to have turnstile No. 19 because that was their lucky turnstile when they went to the games, not that fans are ever superstitious.

Last edited by timzcardz; 12-07-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: fixed typos to not look like a dumbass!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 AM
T!M R10rd@n

FYI, here are a couple of blue ones that were auctioned after the recent demolition. Similar pricing.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...px?lotid=22478

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/Lo...aspx?lotid=215

And just for your viewing pleasure, from my collection, the program from the dedication of "The New Yankee Stadium" in 1976. The red turnstile would have come out of this renovation.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

And for comparison's sake, here's a photo of a turnstile at renovated Yankee Stadium... this photo was taken during the ballpark's final week...

(Photo taken September 18, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)