NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default What's Your All-Time Ebay Description?

Posted By: Rich Jacobs 

This has to be close to the best,for a T202:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1829209904

"This card of these legendary players is in EX condition; however, above O'Leary's hat is colored in with magic marker, and his nose is also colored."

Old 05-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H.

Every day I seem to see a new grading system on Ebay....
I do have a recurrent themes I thought I'd share:
1. Whenever the item title includes the word "old" it probably isn't. My personal favorite is "Old Reprint"
as if there is a market for vintage reprints rather than those darn "new reprints." After all in the old days they really knew how to reprint them!
2. I the seller says that the Cracker Jack is from 1914 it probably isn't (especially if its in nice shape and happens to be of any HOFer or Joe Jackson). As an added note the reprints of CJs out there are virtually always reprints of 1915s so that many sellers trying to pass off CJ reprints as real aren't even right about what they are lying(or uninformed about in the first place)
3. "T206 Wagner" should be read as REPRINT even if it is not stated as such (the same usually applies to "T206 Plank" and "Cracker Jack Shoeless Joe Jackson");
4. This is the sad one -- whenever the seller invokes God or America they are usually trying to screw the buyer in some way or another. (hope I didn't offend anyone there but thats what I have been seeing); and
5. Almost all cards inheritted/found or whatever from Grandpa are actually reprints that may be younger than Kobe Bryant.

Old 05-16-2002, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would be careful about your number "5". Although almost all "finds" from attics, shoeboxes, walls, etc...are bad some are not. I just picked up 34 cards I needed that were from an "old" collector. AlSO, my Boston Team Kalamazoo was on ebay and had a long story behind....someone found it in a wall of their grandma's house when tearing it down blah blah blah....and if you remember there were about 700 hits on ebay and nary (I am loving that word lately) a bid. I bought the card after the auction because it had 0 bids. The blurry scan on ebay was just that; a blurry scan. I bought the card for about 1/2 it's value, the all important photo is very sharp in person, and it came back an SGC 20 (because of some semi-minor back damage). Just a word of caution....although again, I do agree that "almost" all of the stories are just that......stories....best regards.....

Old 05-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 05-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

"mentioned only for the sake of accuracy"
-- as opposed to what: "Omitted in order to conceal" ?
always wondered about that one.

Old 05-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I was surprised not to see mentioned one that I often use: "crease in corner, paper loss on back-- otherwise Near Mint"

And, as I finally got my new camera working (in other words, finally figured how it works), I no longer use the suspicous, "Item is nicer than appears in scan"

Old 05-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

if you have a scanner that puts yellow dots all over the card sometimes, you gotta say that.

but it's still suspicious.

Old 05-18-2002, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

So PLEASE do not bid extra, thinking this is a rare ERROR card!

Old 05-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1829790181

Old 05-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

that card is:

"ex-mt with major center crease, stamp on back, minor corner wear and light staining. at least a 5, maybe a 6! these baseball legends are not easy to come by!"

regards,
jeff