NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Default New to Board - Few Questions - '52 Mantle

Hi everyone, just signed up on here this week. Been lurking for a while though.

I'm pretty sure I read just about every 311 thread I could find going back to 2010 and there's been a lot of great info exchanged. I've also done a fair amount of homework and been monitoring ebay, auction houses, etc. for a few months so and after collecting on and off since I was a kid, I've decided to finally save up for a low grade '52 Topps Mantle, say around a PSA/SGC 2 that hasn't seen the inside of a washing machine. My timing is probably less than perfect (hindset is always 20/20) since this card has exploded in the last 10 years and prior. I still feel it has plenty of legs as my generation starts to build wealth (I'll be turning 32 in a few weeks) and realize vintage > modern, especially as far as holding/gaining value is concerned.

I would like to attend the national this year but my work schedule will not allow it. I can, however, make the White Plains show in August for a day. I've been before but for autographs only. Will I find 52's there? Is my approach ok so far? This is going to be a large "investment" and I feel that this board is by far the best place to come for advice. Any tips and words of wisdom are much appreciated!

Thank you,

Joe
Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Chris

I cannot speak as to White Plains, but my experience in general with shows it that the prices are always a little steep. So, even if you did find one there, you might not be able to get it at a fair price.

My recommendation is that you follow some of the auctions that advertise on Net54 as well as a few of the other major auction houses--Sterling, B&L Auction, Heritage, Legendary, Lelands, Mile High, etc. Hit refresh a few times and you should see a couple others at the top of the screen. They are all places where you can comfortably bid on a card and have a good chance that it is real and unaltered. Or, you can put something on the Buy Sell Trade forum here and might have a shot? I bought a PSA A off of here and a PSA 1 off of eBay, but eBay can be risky.

Feel free to ask any questions along the way. If you see something on eBay or otherwise, don't hesitate to ask around on here for opinions. There are a number of really knowledgeable people on the forum that are willing to help someone out.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

According to a recent REA spring figures, they had several 52 micks in low-grade.
They had a sgc20/1.5 that sold for 4,750, which i thought was a steal, belive a fellow board member was flipping it, Then there was a (recolored) PSA authentic that sold for 4k, Then there was a PSA2(mk) that sold for 5.5k, And another PSA 1.5 sold for 8.5k that had tape residue on the 4 corners.
Based on those numbers, you need to save 5k to find a decent one with somewhat 40/60 centering. I seen 2's fetch 9k+ Unheard of right?
Have you seen the ugly white rubbed-out mustache one yet? The wash machine one has seen its day i belive, after changing hands a few times, doubt it sell for that 8k mark
Good Luck, if need advice, you came to the right place bro.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Matt

There's a PSA 1 on eBay now-- or at least it was yesterday when I browsed around-- that would be a dream "1." If it can be had for less than an average 2, I have to imagine it looks better than most 2s, and will cost far less than the highest-end 2s.

If you are buying a 311 Mick because you love the card and intend to keep it for life, to pass it along, then resale value is secondary of course-- but that said it's as safe a money return as a collectible can be. Not to mention the enjoyment of looking at it every day.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 PM

Default '52 Manlte

Joe,

My suggestions would be to make sure you are familiar with the normal trading prices for various targeted grades. The demand for Mantles is so high that as far as buying one for investment purposes, it will probably do as well as most other "investments" you make.

However, Mantles are a little different than most cards because they get more of a price bump or price decrease based on appeal. So be prepared to make adjustments on the fly and don't get caught in an emotional bidding war.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Z Wheat
Old 05-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
There's a PSA 1 on eBay now-- or at least it was yesterday when I browsed around-- that would be a dream "1." If it can be had for less than an average 2, I have to imagine it looks better than most 2s, and will cost far less than the highest-end 2s.

If you are buying a 311 Mick because you love the card and intend to keep it for life, to pass it along, then resale value is secondary of course-- but that said it's as safe a money return as a collectible can be. Not to mention the enjoyment of looking at it every day.
It's still a good chunk of change but I am not sure I have ever seen a better looking '52 Mantle in a 1 holder.....(and welcome Jsquared)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-M...item463b9e5019

Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Al Richter

Default Board

welcome aboard
Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Feel free to ask any questions along the way. If you see something on eBay or otherwise, don't hesitate to ask around on here for opinions.
There is also a code on this board of not outing live eBay auctions, because finding diamonds in the rough is a skill and some people will see a post here, find the card, and bid on it themselves, driving your price up. So if you see one that you want, you're better messaging one of the members with Mantle Topps 311 experience (I have none).

That said, be VERY careful with eBay. The '52 Mantle is such a liquid asset, that many card scans have been used in fraud on eBay, and you will have to fight eBay/PayPal to get your money back when you get a fake/empty envelope.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Eric N.

Welcome to the boards!

as has been pointed out, that PSA 1 listed is FANTASTIC! and its in the brand new flip as well!

PSA Graded Post-War HOF Rookie Card Collection - 100%!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

welcome!

sounds like you are well read on the actual card. be sure to read up on holders, flips and general scams. what to look for and how to spot fake holders.

frosting, holding flips up to lights, scanning barcodes to assure they match, etc.

ask questions, lots and lots of questions!

craigslist is not the place to buy your card. ebay isn't bad, but when paying remember to use amex>paypal

cheers and good luck!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone for the words of advice!

That PSA1 has been on my radar for a bit now. Despite the card's fantastic eye appeal, I thought the price was a little steep, however, any 2 with similar eye appeal is going to run about 2-3k more.

As far as condition, outside of the obvious surface damage, centering is king for me. I've owned several 86 Jordan's and centering is key. As far as fake flips and doctored holders, my studying of both the 86 Jordan and 52 Mantle have made my eye pretty sharp in that regard since those are probably the 2 most counterfeited and tampered with cards in the hobby.

I will also keep an eye on those auction houses. I was only aware of 2 or 3 so thank you again for the rest of the list!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

There are a few sites to check a list of major AH,
use AuctionReport: http://www.auctionreport.com/auction-schedule/
or use Oldcardboard site: http://oldcardboard.com/calendar.asp

of course there are some NOT on the list, like the Saco River or smaller AH where there might be bargins.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:09 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Joe,

There is a seller on the forum who goes to the White Plains shows with '52 Mantles....Donscards I believe is his name....you should pm him.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Joe,

There is a seller on the forum who goes to the White Plains shows with '52 Mantles....Donscards I believe is his name....you should pm him.
Thank you. Will do!