NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Danny

Hello to the best forum in the world..
After years and years collecting on Deaf Baseball Players, such as Dummy Hoy, Dummy Taylor, Curtis Pride, I also have a huge Topps collection from 1957-68 sets. I have decided to start on 1933 Goudey Set in SGC holder. I find it very beautiful cards. I just picked up about 10 of low grade commons and I already enjoy it so much, can't wait to see it grow. I would appericate if you guys give me some more inside information on 1933 Goudey. I was told theres only 1 varation card which is nbr 6.

to see my collection on Deaf Baseball Players.. Go to

http://homepage.mac.com/jennifermari/Menu10.html

Thanks-

Danny..

Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: cmoking

Some thoughts:

The #6 Jimmy Dykes card has two variations. On the back, one variation says he is 26 years old, the other variation says he is 36 years old. Set collectors in general do not give a premium to either one. I am not sure, but I do not think one variation is that much scarcer than the other.

There are several tough commons in the set, including:

1 Bengough - the number 1 card in the set

36 Thevenow - expensive in mid to high grade - I suspect it is not a scarcity, but that there is one descendant who collects his card, and that descendant is hoarding them

52 Cohen - a tough low number card that is difficult in mid to high grade. Also a favorite of collectors of jewish players.

any other low numbers from 1-52

there are other tough commons, but they are mostly tough in condition scarcity, not card scarcity

240 Schumaker - this card gets a premium because it is the last card in the set.

the cards with bright yellow backgrounds are often found 'dirty'. the yellow backgrounds seem to attract smudging from fingers easily. so you may want to look harder to find a clean one.

Berg: 158 Moe Berg is an interesting card because he was a spy for the U.S. during WWII. Although possibly not a very good one, but still a very interesting character. Although he was mostly a back-up catcher during his career, it is his spying career that puts the human interest story into this card and thus the higher price.

HOF cards:

2 Dazzy Vance is a very tough card to find in good shape. A low number and a HOFer.

42 Eddie Collins and 89 Tris Speaker are both also in the T206 set. But neither were players during the 1933 season. 78 Jack Quinn is the third person in both the T206 and the 33 Goudey set, and he was an active player during that whole stretch.

187 Heinie Manush & 207 Mel Ott are tough to find centered

Gehrig and Foxx: each has two cards that are almost identical. Gehrig #160 is tougher than Gehrig #92. Foxx #29 is tougher than Foxx #154
Ruths: in order of pricing: 53 yellow, 149 red, 181 green, 144 batting. It is suspected that the 144 was printed twice, and was the printed in placement of the missing 106 Lajoie card

Lajoie: you can read Lajoie's story in just about every catalog auction of his card. The card was not printed in 1933 and was not distributed with the rest of the cards. It was held back as an enticement for collectors to keep buying cards in search of a complete set. After receiving complaints, Goudey printed the Lajoie in 1934 and mailed them out to people who complained. The Lajoie has the style of the 1934 Goudey set. Collectors will dispute if it truly belongs in the 1933 Goudey set or is a gimmick. At $10K+ for a PSA 2 copy, it may be financially sound to think of it as a gimmick and not pursue it.

It has been found that the last series was likely out in stores in the last week of December, 1933, or perhaps not until 1934. Those players included Washington Senators and New York Giants and includes information on the 1933 World Series. This information came out in the Copyright Registration cards which shows they were published in the last week of December, which probably means that is when they were printed and packed. Given the speed of distribution in 1933, it would not be surprising to see they were not in stores until 1934. A bit of a tanget here, but ... subsequently, the Sports Kings set was known to be printed between the 1933 Goudey and the 1934 Goudey set and thus is truly a 1934 issue.

If you are buying raw cards, make sure to note the back of the cards. There is a similar issue called the World Wide Gum set which was issued in Canada and comes with backs in both english only and french/english. These are not the regular Goudey cards, although the fronts may be identical. The grading companies typically do a good job in identifying them, but they will sometimes screw up. The World Wide Gum cards have World Wide Gum written on them near the bottom part of the card very visibly.

I am simultaneously working on two sets. The set I have viewable on the PSA Registry is at the link below. I have scans of all the cards.

http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=44132&alltime=no&rank=22&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

Old 06-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Cat

Danny:

I don't know much about the 33 Goudey's but enjoyed your site a few months ago when you posted it and had actually performed a few searches in an attempt to find it (but couldn't) so glad to see you post it again.

I really like the personal touch that is displayed in your site, and as an Angel Fan, I also have grown to have an appreciation for Curtis Pride.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Joann

Wow. This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

Thank you, King. What a nice few minutes that was - reading your tutorial on 33 Goudeys with a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning.

Joann

Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

King, I was hoping you'd post on the 33 Goudeys; your knowledge is always appreciated.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: leon

Thanks King.....we appreciate it. Nice write up....

Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: jay behrens

Bengough is NOT a tough card to find. As with any #1 card, it's only tough to find in high grade. Why people pay a premium for anything below EX is beyond me.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

In VG to VG/EX, it may not be that tough to find, but it is definitely priced at a different level than other low number cards in the same condition. Two PSA 4s recently sold on ebay - for $560 and $481

$560

$481

This price is about twice as much as low number HOFer in PSA 4, and as much as 8-10 times more than most other low number commons.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Thanks for the comments guys.

This is a beautiful set and I enjoy collecting it. Another reason I enjoy it is the high activity on ebay and auction catalogs on these cards. There never seems to be an end to supply in the mid-grades because collectors are constantly starting sets, selling off complete sets, upgrading, downgrading. I know of at least 7 near-complete sets (230+ cards) that were at one time in the top 20 on the PSA Registry that have been broken up and sold off in the past year. And in the auction catalogs, there are often full sets (minus the Lajoie) in low to mid grade. Its a set with very high turnover, not just sellers, because there seems to always be other collectors starting the set or in the midsts of completing their sets. This makes for strategic buying or trading very interesting....it can be fun and frustrating at the same time. I would not go crazy in bidding for any particular card, and I suggest following the ebay sales carefully. I know the OP is interested in SGC cards, but even so, it would be a good idea to follow the sales of PSA cards to get a good idea of what is going on.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: David McDonald

Thanks, King.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Josh Adams

King, nice write up, thanks.
I too am working on a 1933 Goudey set, mostly low to mid grade. I'm only 55 cards away, but have found cards #'d 69-73 difficult to find in the past few months, do not know the reason for that. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
Also, a good way to spot fakes is the lack of "bleeding" on the back of these cards. Alot of the cards I have contain some of the ink from the front that has seeped onto the back of the card. (in case anbody did not know what bleeding meant).
At any rate, it's a fantastic set, beautiful colors and imagery. I look forward to finishing it up!

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Bill Todd

I'll second King's comment about not going crazy over any Goudeys. I've been looking for a Dave Harris (the only low-number Washington player I need) for a couple years now. I just wasn't willing to pull the trigger on a VG common for 40 bucks. Then a couple weeks ago I found a solid VG+ for $15. They're out there.

Bill

Old 06-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Max Weder

Were any albums issued for the 1933 set? I just picked up the 1934 NL album, pictured below.

Max

Old 06-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Rich Klein

Hi:

Read through your post on the 33 Goudeys and I'd love to add the variation to our data base. Can you please send me scans of both cards at RKlein@Beckett.Com

Regards
Rich Klein
Beckett Media

Old 06-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Bill Todd: I have done that too. However, I won't likely do that again (for cards < $100.). The money I saved was not worth the extra looking which I had to do.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Set

In the August 2006 SMR (with Bonds on the cover), there is an amazing article on the 1933 Goudey set by Mike Murray. Anyone interested in learning more about this set should check it out.