NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Dan Bretta

Default Why Ebay Sucks To Infinity

This guy is the reason ebay should return the seller's privilege to give out negative feedbacks. How do other ebayers protect themselves from an idiot like this if you can't see how he operates?

Scenario...I list this auction on ebay on August 10th

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1#ht_500wt_947

...it ends on August 17th. My auction states that the buyer has 5 days to pay...Joe725 is the winner...seems to me that I recall this bidder...ah yes, he won an auction from me in June or July and I had to turn him into ebay after two weeks for non-payment...he finally paid for that auction. Well, once again he is late with payment, but I figure this is how the guy does it and I'll get paid soon...well after 10 days I turn him in to ebay again for non-payment and he finally pays me on Sept 1st. Being the dutiful seller that I am I already have it packaged and ready to ship via priority insured mail and get it to the post office on the same day....the tracking info shows that he received the package on Sept 3rd

0309 2880 0000 0693 1735

Now here it Sept 15th and the guy emails me and says the cards are horrible and he wants a refund...I tell him that it's been well past the 7 day return period stated in the auction. He then turns me in to ebay for "item significantly not as described."..along with it he sends me an email that says he was in the hospital so he couldn't do anything until now...check out his ebay bidding activity during the time he states he was in the hospital. He has won 8 items since receiving my postcards.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&sort=3&_rdc=1

So I email him back and tell him to send the cards back and I'll refund as soon as I get them...of course ebay states that I have "3 days to refund upon receipt"...but he had two weeks to pay me after he won them.

I'd suggest blocking this guy (Joe725 Joe Loce from Rochester, NY) if you sell Women's baseball postcards and, or autographed nudie photos.

When will ebay start protecting sellers again?

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Chuck Tapia

NEVER. That's why i only buy VERY judiciously if anything these days. I still have a chaffed fanny from ALL the FAKE GAI GLOBAL Mantle, Dimaggio and Williams Fakes that they not only ALLOW, THEY FRIGGIN ENDORSE THE CROOKED OPERATION.

They also have finally added SCAT Unauthentic to their list of NOT ALLOWED COA's ,but it makes NO difference. You see that trash along with the off shoot scam Artist TTA (Ted Taylor=HUGE CROOKED F), not to mention idiot sellers proudly displaying Chris MoralASS certs like they are gold and Jack A's bidding on that garbage. I am convinced and you should be too that E-bay does not give a rats ass. Until they start, I will be be on the sidelines...... after all, you wouldn't have the crime with-out the help of E-bay. They could care less about this segmaent of their business. It makes them MILLIONS. They are a few steps above Coaches Corner.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 09-15-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Dan Bretta

Eh...I meant "sellers", not "buyers". Sorry if your post makes no sense now Fuddjcal.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

I'd suggest blocking this guy (Joe725 Joe Loce from Rochester, NY) if you sell Women's baseball postcards and, or autographed nudie photos.
diverse collection he's got there.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Scott Levy

As much as we all complain....somehow many (probably most of us) still buy or sell or both on ebay --- so where is their financial incentive to change?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Chuck Tapia

makes no sense NOW? They NEVER make any sense. Just a bunch of angry rambling
Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Joe M.

Dan, below my ranting is a message I received. This is an account that I sell items for my daughter. over 1500 transactions, 1225 feedback. I looked into and it seems I am charging to much for shipping I think. Hard to figure ebays reasons. I have had a couple of complaints for overseas customer about shipping, but always refunded money when I sent for less than buyer paid. I ship everything Priority mail and print postage on line for all US customers unless they request otherwise.
Unfortunately with ebay, feedback from a seller is like any survey. The customer just fills the feedback(survey) and does not really think about what number he enters or how it affects the seller.

Also ebays limits don't make since since I was selling much more than their limits. Where does $82.00 and $45.00 come from, certainly not 75%.of my sales.

So the seller suffers again.

Joe

"Your account has fallen below our minimum seller performance standards. You're still able to list and sell items. However, your volume will be limited until your performance meets these standards.

This limit takes effect on 9/8/2010. Each week you can sell up to 75.00 % of what you historically listed with this account.

You may have up to 5 open listings, up to $82.00 open sales, and up to $45.00 closed sales during each week.

If you exceed any one of the above thresholds (open listings, open sales, or closed sales), you will be unable to list for 7 days, when the limit will reset.

Your account will be limited until buyer satisfaction improves and you're no longer performing below standard (measured by your detailed seller ratings").
Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Dan Bretta

I wonder what genius came up with those arbitrary numbers? Instead of actually investigating people who evade ebay fees by excessively overcharging shipping or just plain overcharging on the shipping they slap around everyone without gathering any evidence beyond the willy nilly nature of their rating system....I was also under the impression that foreign bidders could not leave detailed seller ratings...am I wrong about that?

Here's an idea for the geniuses at ebay - let sellers leave detailed buyer ratings.

-How quickly did the buyer pay?
-How was the buyer's communication?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
S Gross

I think local hospitals would do well opening a wing just for "sick ebay buyers." The few times I have ever had problems receiving payment, was because the buyer was "in the hosital." Now they have all the time and strength to email and explain their dire siatuation, BUT they don't have the ability to click on the paypal link.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 AM

I read these threads and there is a part of me that smiles, since I know it is not only me that gets screwed by jackass buyers. I sell a lot of 19th century non-sports tobacco cards, so any correspondence that I have is generally on the Non-Sports Net54 side.

I had a situation a couple months back where Ted M. from Connecticut bid on a bunch of my cards. After winning 7 cards, he emails me several days later and claims that he lost his job and can not afford the cards. He requests that I re-list them. I go through the ebay process of canceling the transactions, one by one.

Sure enough, a couple weeks later, Ted is involved in a thread on the Non-Sports side in which he is excited to be planning a weekend at the Baltimore National Convention. So I email him back, and ask him how he can afford the trip when he could not afford the $60.00 to pay for the 7 cards that he won. He responds by saying he has a new job and can afford to pay $40.00 for the cards, but no more (you can see where this is going).

Bottom line, is he had a bad case of buyer's remorse. Stupidly, I did not block him from bidding, and he ended up subsequently winning 4 cards from me. I sent the 4 cards upon receipt of payment, well packaged. And I immediately blocked him from future bidding. About 3-4 weeks later, I receive 2 neutrals with the response, "OK" for two of the cards he won (he paid $12.00 for the pair). The only thing I could do was respond to each one on my own feedback page.

Now this is a guy I would warn everyone about, if I could. Ebay gives you no forum as a seller to inform other sellers about jerks like this. Dan's idea about buyer ratings is a great one, as there is no need for commentary; just a rating on punctuality, communication, etc.

All this being said, I am still listing on Ebay. It is still the best place to sell for me, even though I never get the warm and fuzzies from them.

Rich Wetherbee
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Dan-I'm confused. You sold this guy autographed postcards of nude women baseball players?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Dan-I'm confused. You sold this guy autographed postcards of nude women baseball players?
Jay, if they were nude women baseball players he wouldn't be sending them back to me.

It's really going to suck for him though when I list my Bloomer Girl baseball uniform and he finds out he's been blocked from bidding.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default from what I have seen....

Quote:
From what I have seen I would not want to see naked pre-war girl baseball players.

On the other hand has anyone seen some of the current fastpitch softball players of today? Holy moly....some of them could be top models!!

As for ebay I only still buy on there.....They really have made it crappy for sellers in many ways. I also (still) feel that blocking being able to see who is bidding/bid is ripe for shilling.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

"It's really going to suck for him though when I list my Bloomer Girl baseball uniform"

Does it say Dan on the back?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Ray Novak

Default eBay buyer only

I've only been a buyer on eBay, a total of 434 times. Never got a negative feedback (dating back to when sellers would still take personal checks) and never left one. I've bought quite a bit lately from members of this board and will continue to buy there as it is the most comprehensive site of its type on the net. As a buyer the one things that bothers me is the anonymity of my fellow bidders. Besides being shilled (which I'm sure has happened to me and virtually everyone on the board), I'd like to know who snipes me in the final seconds of an auction, or who nibbles away at high bids by bidding stupidly low on items they can't afford. If you see a $500 card with a .99 opening bid and you know you're only going to bid $30 and hope for a steal - leave it alone. Aaaarrrrgh. Rant over.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

Does it say Dan on the back?
No, but it does have "B S"* on the front.

*Blue Springs, Nebraska
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think I've heard anyone say something "sucks to infinity" since fourth grade. What's next, Ebay King Kamehameha Sucks?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I don't think I've heard anyone say something "sucks to infinity" since fourth grade. What's next, Ebay King Kamehameha Sucks?
How about eBay suck to infinity.....and beyond!!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderfinger View Post
I've only been a buyer on eBay, a total of 434 times. Never got a negative feedback (dating back to when sellers would still take personal checks) and never left one. I've bought quite a bit lately from members of this board and will continue to buy there as it is the most comprehensive site of its type on the net. As a buyer the one things that bothers me is the anonymity of my fellow bidders. Besides being shilled (which I'm sure has happened to me and virtually everyone on the board), I'd like to know who snipes me in the final seconds of an auction, or who nibbles away at high bids by bidding stupidly low on items they can't afford. If you see a $500 card with a .99 opening bid and you know you're only going to bid $30 and hope for a steal - leave it alone. Aaaarrrrgh. Rant over.

As a seller, I wish Ebay still showed Bidder ID's to everybody. I would regularly get guys bidding on the same items that genuinely disliked each other, for some reason or another. The boxing field is really full of individual personalities.

They would engage in bidding wars that would last throughout the week when one of them saw the other was bidding on it. Almost out of spite it seemed.

Between sniping and private ID's, that no longer happens.

Then on the other hand, you would have guys who were friendly with each other, lay off an item if they saw one of their friends was bidding on it, so it worked both ways I guess.

The good ol' days of Ebay.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Red Rover, Red Rover send paypal on over!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
As a seller, I wish Ebay still showed Bidder ID's to everybody. I would regularly get guys bidding on the same items that genuinely disliked each other, for some reason or another. The boxing field is really full of individual personalities.

They would engage in bidding wars that would last throughout the week when one of them saw the other was bidding on it. Almost out of spite it seemed.

Between sniping and private ID's, that no longer happens.

Then on the other hand, you would have guys who were friendly with each other, lay off an item if they saw one of their friends was bidding on it, so it worked both ways I guess.

The good ol' days of Ebay.
I agree. I miss 'em. There were lots of good reasons for showing bidder IDs but even though the number of good reasons far outweighed the one bad reason (others emailing winning bidders), once again the majority and intelligent decision loses.

Last edited by tbob; 09-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As someone whose bids used to get tracked and who was frequently shilled on boxing cards during the bad old days, I am OK w/not seeing bidder IDs during the auction but feel that they should be left open to view after close so that we can see shilling and other suspicious activity. Of course, the real reason Ebay blocked it was to prevent a rash of shilling and other fraud-based complaints by stopping access to the evidence. As Orwell wrote: "if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Well, one reason I miss it is because I liked seeing who was bidding on cards I wanted. If it was a 54 member, I used to email him to see how strong his interest was and often I backed off on cards just like others backed off for me. Of course the advent of sniping changed much of that but it was still useful. Also, when you saw who the winning bidder was it sometimes helped you with your strategy for the next card in terms of bidding early, or sniping or laying down a strong bid early, etc. Finally, it was good to see who was buying what because you could communicate on them about trades, etc. I developed some friendships among collectors that way back in the day.
And yes, I used to get tracked also so I know that feeling.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 PM

I also remember the days when several of us here used to email bidders of obvious fakes and warn them. Then eBay dug in its heels to "prevent bidder interference" and eventually screwed up the whole system.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Bob.T*th

Default There should be a poll

If the original/reprint field is not filled out, ebay should automatically insert a poll where bidders could vote authentic/fake. It could immediately update, just like the current bid.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I also remember the days when several of us here used to email bidders of obvious fakes and warn them. Then eBay dug in its heels to "prevent bidder interference" and eventually screwed up the whole system.
By prevent bidder interference I think they mean let people get screwed on these fake cards so that they bring a higher price and therefore a higher final value fee. At the rate they're going, eBay will be overrun with fake cards and be about as reputable place to buy cards as craigslist.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Believe me Dan, I feel your pain! Just received my first ever negative, but I'm a better person now (serenity now.). Not sure what I did wrong but at least I can spell a little bit better then my eBay buyer...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

Lovely Day...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:18 PM
FredYoung

Sounds like he tried to free it from the slab & probably whacked it up himself!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Believe me Dan, I feel your pain! Just received my first ever negative, but I'm a better person now (serenity now.). Not sure what I did wrong but at least I can spell a little bit better then my eBay buyer...

Lovely Day...
That sucks...I'm pretty sure this Joe guy will give me my first negative. I looked through your guy's feedback left for others and he left this gem (Neutral) for someone who sells DVDs.

"thaer are plink pagies"

Here's another

"a pice camof"

This one was actually a positive

"it whas a good precis"

Here's your chance to give him his first negative -

http://cgi.ebay.com/lego-curve-train...1#ht_500wt_947

When you win the track leave him a negative that says "The train was missing."

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-16-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Did she have a nice catcher's mitt?

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Default Had the same thing happen to me kind of

Had a guy but a 5.50 card from me. My SH was 2.75 and I put DC on every package I send. Ok the guy pays 2 weeks late. And I didnt have any auctions end around the time the guy finally paid. He also paid on a friday. I didnt get the package out on sat but I did get it out on Monday. Well guess what. My sh time was to slow for him and he gave my stars a 1 for SH and a 1 for SH price. BLOCKED . Only guy to ding my stars. Would have a perfect 5.0 across the board if not for this transaction. He also has about 700 positive feedbacks.
His id is

mobil4u

I would recomend blocking this guy
Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Dan Lundrigan

Default I`ve got a great idea!

Why doesn`t E-bay let sellers sell whatever they want and charge whatever they want for shipping,then leave it up to the buyer to decide if this is something that they may or may not want to purchase.Then both sides can leave feedback about their transactions good or bad!

You know what forget what I just said it could never work!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:07 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

"i took card out ove its chase and the card is ripet and bent"
Let me translate: "I took card out of its case and the card is ripped and bent"

Did this guy try to crack it out of the holder? How the heck could an encapsulated card be ripped otherwise? It's a shame because it was a beauty of a 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post

Lovely Day...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Bill Hedin

Default I don't like ebay either!

Hi Gang!
I don't like ebay for many reasons, but my pet peave is the insane postage charges as well as the whole paypal/fees scam.
I found two great options for those of us that look at cards with the intention of buying. I like sportsbuy.com and have had decent luck with them. I love this place, net54, as it has the best stuff and best prices from the greatest group of collectors ever assembled in one place.
I'm too ill for making the shows anymore and I always lose at the big auctions.
I don't have a couple million dollars to spend, but the fine members of 54 and sportsbuy seem to be happy with my small transactions.
God Bless you all!
Bill Hedin
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
That sucks...I'm pretty sure this Joe guy will give me my first negative. I looked through your guy's feedback left for others and he left this gem (Neutral) for someone who sells DVDs.

"thaer are plink pagies"

Here's another

"a pice camof"

This one was actually a positive

"it whas a good precis"

Here's your chance to give him his first negative -

http://cgi.ebay.com/lego-curve-train...1#ht_500wt_947

When you win the track leave him a negative that says "The train was missing."
I don't understand how these people can figure out how to buy and sell things on eBay, but they have no command of the English language.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's the end result of the whole "don't fail a kid for spelling as it will hurt their self esteem" thing. So a big section of a whole generation feels really great about being stupid.

Sadly many places that get revenue from selling stuff or from other people selling stuff like Ebay eventually have to make it simple enough for the lowest common denominator of our society. Face it, there's a whole lot of stupid people out there, they're as big a market as some entire countries. If only 1/4 of the US population is stupid, that's about as big a market as all of Germany.

Steve B
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
If only 1/4 of the US population is stupid, that's about as big a market as all of Germany.

Steve B
I think you might be underestimating how stupid our population really is!!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
-- Henry Mencken

Or not...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I don't understand how these people can figure out how to buy and sell things on eBay, but they have no command of the English language.

There's probably a way to blame the whole problem on the Obama Administration.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
There's probably a way to blame the whole problem on the Obama Administration.
It's not that hard - relatively speaking, the US population was much smarter under Bush.