NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
IMO hes WAY over rated - i dont one even 1 card of his and dont want any.

Yea im no yankee fan, but i have other yankee cards, Ruth, mantle, berra & arod.
How is he overrated? One of the greatest Yankees ever, let alone a model of consistency on the field as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
How is he overrated? One of the greatest Yankees ever, let alone a model of consistency on the field as well.
looking at his numbers:

Jeter - 255 HR - 313 batting average - 348 SB - 1254 rbi - Good player -
very good player. Not a middle of the order guy, also not a lead off guy and very good #2 hitter.

you know who has almost the same exact numbers with half the at bats - Nomar Garciaparra - 229 HR, 313 average - 936 rbi (about half the at bats)

or even Clemente - 317 / 240hr

larry walker - 313 / 383hr

edger martinez - 312 / 309 hr

tod helton was a way better hitter, 320 -354

Magglio Ordonez - 309 / 294 hr

tim ranes - had a 295 average, 170 RH and over 800 SB

you cant compare him to guys like this - Mantle, Joe D, Berra, Ruth, Mattingly, winfield, maris, gehrig, Rickey Henderson

Yes a 313 average is very good, 3000 hits... yea sure thats good too, but hes played 18 seasons, hes a "singles" hitter usually with a few of the best power hitters in the game hitting behind him ALL his life. I dont remember a time when he was even the best SS in the game let alone the best player.

there are tons of very good players with a 310-315 average with 250-300 hr,
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-10-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Jeter comes through in the clutch too, particularly at post season time.
Both offense and defense. Hard to measure in statistics.
5 Championships

And you have left off career hits. Jeter has hit .313 over a long period of time

And 5 Gold Gloves

Lets hope he stays in the game many more years and dislodges Rose.
I understand this may be very wishful thinking but Rose played until he was 45.

Last edited by BigJJ; 02-10-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
Jeter comes through in the clutch too, particularly at post season time.
Both offense and defense. Hard to measure in statistics.

And you have left off career hits. Jeter has hit .313 over a long period of time

And 5 Gold Gloves

Lets hope he stays in the game many more years and dislodges Rose.
I understand this may be very wishful thinking
i did mention his 3000 hits and the 18 seasons hes played so far too.

As for his 5 gold gloves.....5 dosnt cut it

Keith Hernandez 11
Don Mattingly 9
Ryne Sandberg 9
Robin Ventura had 6
Mike Schmidt 10
Ozzie Smith 13
Luis Aparicio 9
Omar Vizquel 9

Id compare him to a yount / molitor player. Nothing wrong with that as they are both very good players, but far from what some people think of him
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-10-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:

Id compare him to a yount / molitor player. Nothing wrong with that as they are both very good players, but far from what some people think of him
that's exactly what baseball reference has in his top 5 comparable players.

Biggio
Molitor
Alomar
Yount
Gehringer

All credible Hall of Famers, just like Jeter.

Yankees fans and national media hoist Jeter above those in this list, but if Biggio had been a Yankee and Jeter an Astro, we could very likely see Jeter sitting out of the Hall after his first ballot, too, because he wouldn't have the rings or the constant front page stories that he has now.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 02-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post

Yankees fans and national media hoist Jeter above those in this list, but if Biggio had been a Yankee and Jeter an Astro, we could very likely see Jeter sitting out of the Hall after his first ballot, too, because he wouldn't have the rings or the constant front page stories that he has now.
I am not a Yankee fan at all, but Jeter is currently 11th all-time in hits. Two more productive seasons and he will get to fourth all-time in hits. He has a fairly decent chance of ending up third on the all-time list.

Short of an extraneous factor like a steroid taint or a gambling link, I can't see any way in the world that a guy that high on the hit list would be anything other than an overwhelming first-ballot inductee.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I am not a Yankee fan at all, but Jeter is currently 11th all-time in hits. Two more productive seasons and he will get to fourth all-time in hits. He has a fairly decent chance of ending up third on the all-time list.

Short of an extraneous factor like a steroid taint or a gambling link, I can't see any way in the world that a guy that high on the hit list would be anything other than an overwhelming first-ballot inductee.
Very true.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
i did mention his 3000 hits and the 18 seasons hes played so far too.

As for his 5 gold gloves.....5 dosnt cut it

Keith Hernandez 11
Don Mattingly 9
Ryne Sandberg 9
Robin Ventura had 6
Mike Schmidt 10
Ozzie Smith 13
Luis Aparicio 9
Omar Vizquel 9

You have no what you're talking about. Measuring GG's is a joke. Your comparison with the other players is laughable because they are not even the same position, and you're comparing pure power hitters vs non, etc.

Funny how you say he's only a 'singles hitter' when he's ahead of WILLIE MAYS!!! When it's all said and done, Jeter will be a top 20 or even top 10 for more careers doubles. Yeah, guess he only hits singles though.

And don't even get me started how clutch he is. Do some research and really think twice about what you say before making yourself sound like an idiot.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 02-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
You have no what you're talking about. Measuring GG's is a joke. Your comparison with the other players is laughable because they are not even the same position, and you're comparing pure power hitters vs non, etc.

Funny how you say he's only a 'singles hitter' when he's ahead of WILLIE MAYS!!! When it's all said and done, Jeter will be a top 20 or even top 10 for more careers doubles. Yeah, guess he only hits singles though.

And don't even get me started how clutch he is. Do some research and really think twice about what you say before making yourself sound like an idiot.
hmmmm ok....

1 - Nomar Garciaparra - 229 hr, 313 ave, - SS
2 - Paul Molitor - 234 hr - 306 ave, - not a power hitter
3 - Robin Yount - 251hr, 285 ave - SS, not a power hitter

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
hmmmm ok....

1 - Nomar Garciaparra - 229 hr, 313 ave, - SS
2 - Paul Molitor - 234 hr - 306 ave, - not a power hitter
3 - Robin Yount - 251hr, 285 ave - SS, not a power hitter
Gotta look beyond the numbers, which you lack of understanding, I can throw out numbers all day long in certian categories in which Jeter is better than them
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

I enjoyed getting autographs personally, whether it was baseball players, band members or anyone else. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. The only bad experiences I had were with Dick Butkus, Pete Rose and Willie McCovey, all as a child. It confused me, as most professionals were very kid-friendly back then, but I was old enough to realize they were a-holes. The people who were super-friendly far outnumbered them.

The scenario with Jeter would not be fun and I can't imagine anyone putting themselves through it unless they were dealers.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i would agree jeter is a little overrated because he plays in new york, but he's still a credible hof'er and one of the best ss ever. you can't compare his stat at a premium defensive position to guys who play 1b or corner of spots where offensive production can easily be replaced or replicated.

as for the argument in this thread just like the tom brady charges $600/sig people sees things differently and i'm not gonna sweat it anymore.

Quote:
looking at his numbers:

Jeter - 255 HR - 313 batting average - 348 SB - 1254 rbi - Good player -
very good player. Not a middle of the order guy, also not a lead off guy and very good #2 hitter.

you know who has almost the same exact numbers with half the at bats - Nomar Garciaparra - 229 HR, 313 average - 936 rbi (about half the at bats)

or even Clemente - 317 / 240hr

larry walker - 313 / 383hr

edger martinez - 312 / 309 hr

tod helton was a way better hitter, 320 -354

Magglio Ordonez - 309 / 294 hr

tim ranes - had a 295 average, 170 RH and over 800 SB

you cant compare him to guys like this - Mantle, Joe D, Berra, Ruth, Mattingly, winfield, maris, gehrig, Rickey Henderson

Yes a 313 average is very good, 3000 hits... yea sure thats good too, but hes played 18 seasons, hes a "singles" hitter usually with a few of the best power hitters in the game hitting behind him ALL his life. I dont remember a time when he was even the best SS in the game let alone the best player.

there are tons of very good players with a 310-315 average with 250-300 hr,
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
a model of consistency tripping over his own feet, injuring himself in the playoffs after a come back season....Typical pussy baseball player. JETER IS DONE. Enjoy all the over priced signatures yankee fans
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
a model of consistency tripping over his own feet, injuring himself in the playoffs after a come back season....Typical pussy baseball player. JETER IS DONE. Enjoy all the over priced signatures yankee fans
Wow...yep sure as hell makes sense.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 02-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.