NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default OT sort of--The Post Office is the 9th Circle of Hell

Posted By: Chad

I apologize in advance for this rant. For the first time ever, I've been selling cards and I ahve to say, despite the discomfort of parting with a chunk of my collection, dealing with teh post office is a nightmare. I've gone 4 days in a row this week to ship cards and I've gotten crap from them about insurance 4 different times in contradictory ways. Today the guy told me I couldn't insure photographs because I couldn't prove how much they were worth. (I didn't want to say I was shipping cards because I'm a naturally wary person, I guess.) I had to explain to him the concept of receipts and the fact that, yes, photographs can actually be sold. For money. Seriously. You guys who sell all the time, you have my sympathies.

--Chad

Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think you can insure anything as long as you are willing to pay the appropriate fee. See if you can speak with a supervisor, not that they will necessarily care.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

After giving me all kinds of sh!t, he did it anyway. I can only guess that he, the guy at the desk personally, had a policy of not insuring photographs because he just doesn't think they're worth anything.

--Chad

Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

what barry said is true, you can insure anything. in the unlikely event that you do need to collect insurance for a lost or damaged package then you may need to prove value.
an agreement to purchase should be proof enough.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I've dealt with a miserable old post office clerk for a couplea years. Boy, was he a by-the-book old Yankee. I would hope that he was on his three hour coffee break whenever I walked in. He'd measure the thickness of the envelopes, if it wasn't over 3/4" he would refuse to do the Del Conf. Thankfully, that stamp nazi is finally retired.

The new gal there is like a breath of fresh air. I gave her a Wally (the green monster) beanie baby, some kind words and she goes out of her way to make shipping a breeze. I even get to use the stapler now and then!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

I love it when they tell me I can't do Delivery Confirmation because it's not thick enough. I just turn around, grab a blank form (any will do), fold it about 4 times, open the envelope, shove it in, then ask for some tape to reseal it. Best of all, it rarely adds an extra ounce.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think the post office is notorious for its surliness. Maybe it is low morale, or something. Mine is an absolute disaster, and gets worse with each passing month. It's a shame people do their job so poorly and don't seem to care.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

Brutus and Judas manning the AKs

Old 08-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I use the post office at Rockefeller center it's just freaking awful. But I can't get to another one during my lunch break. I think I'll stick to that automated postal machine as much as I can. It has a better personality.

--Chad

Old 08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

POSTAL UNION............