NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: Thoughts on Kaepernick & the national anthem
If I was owner of the team id cut him - he should move out of usa 41 32.28%
Dont like what hes doing but hes got the right to do it 66 51.97%
I like what hes protesting and id do it too 9 7.09%
Dont care at all 11 8.66%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Absolutely agreed, Leon. The only reason I posted that is because there some people that think white people can't be discriminated against simply because they're white.
I never said that. But yeah, I'm sure white males have it just as bad as any minority in a country founded by rich, slave-owning white guys.

As to your comment about a double-standard, acknowledging racism exists in the world isn't an opinion, that's an unfortunate fact. Saying "It's OK to say [insert whatever colloquialism here] because it's not racist" is an opinion. That's the difference. All I'm saying is I hear a lot of people who aren't in the group that's being offended telling other people what they think is offensive and what isn't. Their God-given right to HAVE an opinion doesn't make their opinion valid. If you're trying to decide between the chicken or the fish, are you going to ask a vegan?

Leon, I can totally agree on your point about parenting but I don't think that's actually the debate here. I don't necessarily agree that there are more opportunities in the overall, simply because a few high-ranking positions are occupied by people of color. Sure, those are very powerful positions, but they are still outliers. Look into the general populace of any city in America and tell me opportunities exist equally. Look into the comparison of sentencing to the crime committed between white people and black people and tell me there's equality there. That's what Kaepernick's protest was about. Not the military, not a flag, the idea that equality doesn't exist in the vast majority of this country. Him having millions of dollars doesn't negate his right to empathize with a cause, because he too is an outlier. Brock Turner serves 3 months for raping a girl and there are black men in jail for longer than that for having a small amount of marijuana. If Brock Turner was black do you think he'd be free right now? Ask yourself that honestly.

Last edited by dgo71; 09-05-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
If you're trying to decide between the chicken or the fish, are you going to ask a vegan?
What if you ask the chef and he happens to be a vegan? Does he not get an opinion because he's vegan? Is he going to tell you, "I don't get an opinion"? Certainly not, but that's what you're saying.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What if you ask the chef and he happens to be a vegan? Does he not get an opinion because he's vegan? Is he going to tell you, "I don't get an opinion"? Certainly not, but that's what you're saying.
You keep missing that this is not what I'm saying at all. He clearly and obviously has the right to an opinion. I, as a rational person able to take circumstance into consideration, can then determine the validity of the opinion. Again, his right to an opinion doesn't make it relevant. By your logic, you'll get the fish and hate it and blame the guy that's never tried either dish.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If you don't think there are more opportunities today, for minorities, then I guess you just don't get out much. It's really not even a debate as much as a rhetorical question. The answer is yes, regardless of what anyone thinks. It is just yes.
If I look into the general populace I see minorities and whites too, being kept down due to the hands that feed them, which allows them to not have to feed themselves. It really is the old adage, "teach a man to fish." I want to help everyone help themselves. And along they way if they need a year or two of financial assistance (to be paid back), I can handle that. As long as I see them doing the right things (the right things being, being a productive individual), then I will help. It takes effort to succeed and most social programs today seem to make it too easy to keep taking the handout.

The more programs there are to help, the more the people they intend to help are hurt. It is common sense. Really, it is, I promise.

I volunteer at the Salvation Army every week and have for 16 yrs running. I council homeless veterans on life skills. We have some pretty interesting classes as my views have always (for many, many years) stayed the same.

Quote:
I never said that. But yeah, I'm sure white males have it just as bad as any minority in a country founded by rich, slave-owning white guys.

As to your comment about a double-standard, acknowledging racism exists in the world isn't an opinion, that's an unfortunate fact. Saying "It's OK to say [insert whatever colloquialism here] because it's not racist" is an opinion. That's the difference. All I'm saying is I hear a lot of people who aren't in the group that's being offended telling other people what they think is offensive and what isn't. Their God-given right to HAVE an opinion doesn't make their opinion valid. If you're trying to decide between the chicken or the fish, are you going to ask a vegan?

Leon, I can totally agree on your point about parenting but I don't think that's actually the debate here. I don't necessarily agree that there are more opportunities in the overall, simply because a few high-ranking positions are occupied by people of color. Sure, those are very powerful positions, but they are still outliers. Look into the general populace of any city in America and tell me opportunities exist equally. Look into the comparison of sentencing to the crime committed between white people and black people and tell me there's equality there. That's what Kaepernick's protest was about. Not the military, not a flag, the idea that equality doesn't exist in the vast majority of this country. Him having millions of dollars doesn't negate his right to empathize with a cause, because he too is an outlier. Brock Turner serves 3 months for raping a girl and there are black men in jail for longer than that for having a small amount of marijuana. If Brock Turner was black do you think he'd be free right now? Ask yourself that honestly.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:35 PM
ThreadKiller

well-said, Leon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you don't think there are more opportunities today, for minorities, then I guess you just don't get out much. It's really not even a debate as much as a rhetorical question. The answer is yes, regardless of what anyone thinks. It is just yes.
If I look into the general populace I see minorities and whites too, being kept down due to the hands that feed them, which allows them to not have to feed themselves. It really is the old adage, "teach a man to fish." I want to help everyone help themselves. And along they way if they need a year or two of financial assistance (to be paid back), I can handle that. As long as I see them doing the right things (the right things being, being a productive individual), then I will help. It takes effort to succeed and most social programs today seem to make it too easy to keep taking the handout.

The more programs there are to help, the more the people they intend to help are hurt. It is common sense. Really, it is, I promise.

I volunteer at the Salvation Army every week and have for 16 yrs running. I council homeless veterans on life skills. We have some pretty interesting classes as my views have always (for many, many years) stayed the same.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

+1

I go to a predominately black Baptist church in south Houston. The pastor is black, the youth pastor is black. The pastor has a masters degree in economics and the youth pastor has a doctorates in theology. If you told them they didn't have the same opportunity that a white person has, they would set you straight real quick. Derrick (or anybody else), come on down to the Anderson Road Baptist Church with me next Sunday and spew your lack or opportunities/equality ridiculous nonsense and I have some black brothers (in Christ) that will set you straight real quick. It's a serious invite.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I don't like what he's doing, think he has a right to do it, and have a hard time finding sympathy for a guy who makes $12 million a year playing football. I think Benjamin Watson hit the nail on the head with the letter he wrote after Ferguson.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Yup, seems totally legit. If you think minorities are provided the generosity, opportunity and second chances that white males receive, you don't get out at all.

Vintagetoppsguy, as much as I appreciate the invite I don't see hopping on a plane for Houston to talk to the two black people you know that are doing well as an accurate barometer for equality. But keep telling yourself everything is fine, that's really all that matters.

Edited to add, are there more opportunities today then...whatever point in history, yes. It was within most of our lifetimes that black men and women couldn't use the same restroom as white people though. So yes, we've come a ways from those days, nobody is arguing that, but making improvements on ideals that should be shamefully embarrassing is hardly the same thing as equality.

Last edited by dgo71; 09-05-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Yup, seems totally legit. If you think minorities are provided the generosity, opportunity and second chances that white males receive, you don't get out at all.

Vintagetoppsguy, as much as I appreciate the invite I don't see hopping on a plane for Houston to talk to the two black people you know that are doing well as an accurate barometer for equality. But keep telling yourself everything is fine, that's really all that matters.

Edited to add, are there more opportunities today then...whatever point in history, yes. It was within most of our lifetimes that black men and women couldn't use the same restroom as white people though. So yes, we've come a ways from those days, nobody is arguing that, but making improvements on ideals that should be shamefully embarrassing is hardly the same thing as equality.

life is the result of the choices you make and everything that happens is your fault and to your credit, blaming other people is silly scapegoat nonsense. yes they have the same opportunities, but they have made cultural choices in many communities to ignore those opportunities for the easy way out. Your amusing "safe space" rhetoric makes me sick to my stomach. what lame white bread middle class suburb did you come from to spout such hilariously naive platitudes?

hipster, pandering, white guilt rubbish, every damn thing you've said

Last edited by bravos4evr; 09-05-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
life is the result of the choices you make and everything that happens is your fault and to your credit, blaming other people is silly scapegoat nonsense. yes they have the same opportunities, but they have made cultural choices in many communities to ignore those opportunities for the easy way out. Your amusing "safe space" rhetoric makes me sick to my stomach. what lame white bread middle class suburb did you come from to spout such hilariously naive platitudes?

hipster, pandering, white guilt rubbish, every damn thing you've said
Glad you and your white privilege took the high road.

Last edited by dgo71; 09-05-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Glad you and your white privilege took the high road.
You have to admit that the poverty pimps who jump on the 'racism' bandwagon in specific cases when it doesn't exist hurts more than helps. They only want 'the truth' when it fits their narrative. Otherwise they'll just repeat the lies until people believe it really happened.