NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default OT - Highlights of the Mutilated 1955 Topps set

Eat your heart out OBC, I have completed my admittedly low grade '55 Topps set with the collaboration of many Net54ers. I feel compelled to display the highlights of this accomplishment for your viewing pleasure. I have carefully selected 18 cards from the set to post at this time and as they say in California restaurants when serving "Enjoy"

#1 - The Williams Panel

Ted was the first card purchased for the set at a BST Auction over a year ago.
The original card was trimmed a bit and a new border was hijacked from a Preston Ward card, which was determined by the collective effort of the Board.

#2 - The Aaron Panel

Paul, Dale & Julie are responsible for these three cards, all display beautifully. Aaron almost displays in two pieces.

#3 - The Koufax Panel

"Groucho" Koufax came to the set from Garrett and was the last card obtained
Except for the problem with his upper lip (He needs a plastic surgeon), this is arguably one of the strongest in the set. With NM Koufax RCs selling for $5000 of late, I like to think that this card has a $2500 back, although the centering might detract a bit from that.

#4 - The Clemente Panel

The Killer and Roberto (both from Ebay) got clipped along the way, but Tanner's paper loss is almost more disturbing.

#5 - The Mays Panel

This one is a little tougher. I think the trim must have occurred after 1958 by a collector who wanted to erase the memory of Willie in New York at the expense of eliminating a portion of his stats on the reverse. Willie was an Ebay find.

#6 - The Berra Panel

Four corners are a luxury. Some of trimmed cards have no original corners, but Yogi and the Duke have three. Duke was also a BST Auction pick up.

Will this set appreciate in value as a result of the current strong 50s and 60s market? Perhaps. I tried to be patient not to get too carried away with these purchases. If you want to opine about the cost of this set, feel free to post a guess. I probably will not reveal the answer, but if you are the closest, I will send you the two remaining duplicates that I have. What a deal!

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 08-24-2016 at 10:15 PM.