NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default My first post...finally

Posted By: jrhatchjr

Greetings all,

I have been a reader of this forum for quite some time but have never posted anything until now. Since this was one of my New Years' resolutions, I figure it's time to make good...

I have been a collector of vintage cards since around 1990 when I purchased my first T212 Obak: a 1911 Monte Pfyl. Since then, Obaks have been my pride and joy. Today, my pride and joy is almost grown up as I only need three more 1911's to complete the basic set (excluding those pesky 1910 "150" variations). Fortunately of the 1911's I need, none are Weaver, Ten Million or Peckinpaugh.

The caveat to my pre-war passion is that I collect cards in low grades. Now by low grades I don't mean VG-EX - I mean fair, poor and worse. I realize that not too many others collect these types of low grade cards (or pieces thereof) but it's what makes the hobby enjoyable for me. Someday I'll post a couple of my favorite beaters, but when I do I'll be sure to warn you first in case you've just had something to eat

I don't know how much I can contribute to some of the topics here: I've never placed a bid with any of the big auction houses and I don't own a single graded card (except for an E220 Harry Hooper that was pre-graded by PSA as "EVID-TRIM." Since the borders have been totally removed I'd say they were right on). But I do consider myself a hobbyist and have traded and corresponded with a few others on the board which I have found most enjoyable.

Anyway, just wanted to finally stop in and say HI...

Take care,
Jim Hatch
(jrhatchjr)

Old 04-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Jim, as a seller I've found that really beat up premium cards (1933 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb..) generally sell at a higher percentage of book than then the higher grades (not include Mint or Nrmt-Mt stuff). Despite the impression PSA press releases and MastroNet catalogs might give, the vast majority of active collectors have limited budgets. Most collectors can't afford a middle grade Goudey Ruth. But when a grade Poor example shows up in sale or auction, they know this is their realistic chance to own a card they've long wanted

Old 04-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Jim and I both belong to a card sharing group called OBC (www.oldbaseball.com). Most of the activity there involves the giving, sharing, and sometimes trading of very beat up cardboard- with emphasis on the "giving" aspect. Great group, great bunch of guys.

I can tell you this though Jim, there are plenty of net 54 posters/visitors here that enjoy beaters like we do. So welcome, and I hope to see you posting here again soon.

ps. I'd love to see your beat up Obaks- hey, I think we should have a "beater" contest- whoever can come up with a scan of the worst beater (from your collection) WINS! Doh- I probably need to come up with a prize now don't I

Old 04-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I can confirm that Jim truly has the collecting spirit--no card is too mangled for him (his motto is "It is better to have a hole in the card than my collection"). We have been helping each other out for 4-5 years now, and it has been nothing but a great experience every time. Although I am not a member of OBC (never was much of a joiner type), my dealings with Jim and a couple of the other members lead me to believe they are all a great bunch of guys with their collecting heads screwed on straight. So I feel I should give both Jim and OBC my hearty endorsement.

By the way, Jim also collects a variety of Pre-1920 cards as either type cards or as part of sets. If you have low-end cards for a low-end price that are just stuck in a stack somewhere, gathering dust, you might contact him at the email address he provided, and perhaps you can make a true hobbyist's collection a little happier.

Brian

Old 04-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I used to hand out joke buiness cards at shows that said "Al Bundy's Shoebox Nightmares. If it isn't creased, it doesn't make cents."

Jay