NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Default Marino Cuts (Operation Bullpen)

I'm in the middle of reading Operation Bullpen for the first time, and read the pricelist of "Vintage Cuts" that Greg had. One of those listed was Tony Lazzeri $275. Does anybody have an example of this cut or any other Marino cuts that they wouldn't mind posting scans?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I'd say the one thing that has stuck with me forever from that book is the subject of "cuts." They talked about how there really was no such thing as "cuts" before Marino started forging them. I know this isn't 100% true, but, much like thinking about Jaws when I dip my toes in Lake Erie, I cannot not think about it when I see an expensive cut.

Ken
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Sounds like a job for Shelly. He's always looking for ways to improve the hobby.
Posting examples of less-well-known Marino forgeries sounds like a good way to me.

(Gee... I hope this doesn't start another thread.)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I'd say the one thing that has stuck with me forever from that book is the subject of "cuts." They talked about how there really was no such thing as "cuts" before Marino started forging them. I know this isn't 100% true, but, much like thinking about Jaws when I dip my toes in Lake Erie, I cannot not think about it when I see an expensive cut.

Ken
+1...

Ken,

I have the same feelings about cuts and anything signed by Mantle....fantastic book.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Ken
That statement is 100% wrong.
Ron Dross, the first big time forger, and Dave Zimmerman, ex NY Mets batboy, both specialized in cuts. I saw them sell LARGE quantities of cuts over the years.
Only good thing I can say now is that both of them stole a lot of money but both are now 6 feet underground.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Of course they are.
If they weren't, you would never state their names while calling them forgers.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
+1...

Ken,

I have the same feelings about cuts and anything signed by Mantle....fantastic book.
+1 on the Mantle comment.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Of course they are.
If they weren't, you would never state their names while calling them forgers.
You do an awesome job of calling out others, so how about this: when you finally respond to the Frank Prisco or whatever his name was situation -- you know, the one where you were your typical caustic self, then got some lawyer letter, then we never heard from you again -- and maybe Richard will respond to you.

Or, a second alternative: post something useful sometime! I see two posts here, both meant to inflame, neither useful in any othe way.

Ken
Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

I had always hoped the fbi would have a webpage somewhere where they posted all the examples of the operation bullpen autographs they had, so people could be informed about them. I don't see a downside to this.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Richard Simon

Thanks for calling him out Ken, but I won't respond to him.
Why bother?
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I had always hoped the fbi would have a webpage somewhere where they posted all the examples of the operation bullpen autographs they had, so people could be informed about them. I don't see a downside to this.
I second that suggestion!

Ken
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
I second that suggestion!

Ken
Has anyone kept any pics of Marino's? Maybe that would be a good starting point for someone or a team of people to start putting something together.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
you do an awesome job of calling out others, so how about this: When you finally respond to the frank prisco or whatever his name was situation -- you know, the one where you were your typical caustic self, then got some lawyer letter, then we never heard from you again -- and maybe richard will respond to you.

Or, a second alternative: Post something useful sometime! I see two posts here, both meant to inflame, neither useful in any othe way.

Ken
+1 really like
Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
You do an awesome job of calling out others, so how about this: when you finally respond to the Frank Prisco or whatever his name was situation -- you know, the one where you were your typical caustic self, then got some lawyer letter, then we never heard from you again -- and maybe Richard will respond to you.

Or, a second alternative: post something useful sometime! I see two posts here, both meant to inflame, neither useful in any othe way.

Ken
Judging by your comment, Ken, I'm thinking that Mr. Atkatz is taking shots at Richard again, though I refuse to read what he writes as I continue to have him on block.

It's sad that Mr. Atkatz, allegedly a grown man, will do anything to get attention. Why make a comment under such an informative autograph thread in an attempt to bait Richard into writing a retaliatory comment, which he would have every right to do. Then it looks like Richard is inflaming this thread. But people should see Atkatz for what he really is: a petty agitator.

Maybe you want take a shot at me, Mr. Atkatz. Go ahead, because I won't turn the other cheek. I will inflame this thread. The difference between you and me, Mr. Atkatz, is that you're desperate for people to pay attention to you, whereas I don't need to create that desperation like you do.

My knees have never buckled despite the numerous threats I've received over the years. Your knees buckled during the Prisco thread, didn't they, Mr. Atkatz? One legal threat to you and you turn into a clam. Why would anyone have been surprised then?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
James Wymer

Does anyone have examples of these cuts to help this guy?
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Richard Simon

I have over 500 pictures of bad items on my computer that were sent to me to authenticate but I never cataloged them by who the forger might be.
Sorry I cannot help that request out.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-23-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Steve Zarelli

I purchased this ball from B&J Collectibles in the 90s. They were a Marino distributor. These are pretty deceptive fakes and I think it's a safe bet they were done by Marino or one of the other forgers associated with the ring. (Feller is the weak link.)

Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Wow...you're telling me that Ryan is a fake? As I'm sitting here I'm comparing it to a ball I got straight form the Ryan foundation...they look exactly the same.

Scary.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Richard Simon

The man had occasional moments of artwork that were better then you would think.
I recall seeing his items in MAJOR auction SCD ads many years ago, and I don't mean CC.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Default JimStinson

I'm trying to do this from memory, there was another well known autograph guy there and if he wants to add to this he can. But I remember back when I was an autograph consultant for PSA , before their division was even launched and I remember being shown signed stuff that was supposed to be part of the "Bull pen" thing that at that time they were trying to nail down. The Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Joe DiMaggio's were especially well executed. In fact most of their modern day stuff was pretty darn good. Their weakness seemed to be the easy guys like Feller, Killebrew, Reggie but frankly those were pretty close too. Where they REALLY dropped the ball was on the older vintage stuff , which was not well done at all , maybe thats because I'm more experienced in that area or maybe they were weaker I don;t know its been a long time. Hope this helps
Old 06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Wow...you're telling me that Ryan is a fake? As I'm sitting here I'm comparing it to a ball I got straight form the Ryan foundation...they look exactly the same.

Scary.
It fooled me for years. Certainly a cut above the sloppy drek cartoonish Florida fakes. But the Feller kept nagging me and I posted it here about a year ago. Some folks thought they were good, but the eventual consensus was they were fakes. Look at the similarity in the top of the R in Ryan and the top of the B in Bob.

If the Feller was better, it'd probably still be fooling me. I compare the Koufax to known authentic exemplars and I still cant find a fatal flaw.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
It fooled me for years. Certainly a cut above the sloppy drek cartoonish Florida fakes. But the Feller kept nagging me and I posted it here about a year ago. Some folks thought they were good, but the eventual consensus was they were fakes. Look at the similarity in the top of the R in Ryan and the top of the B in Bob.

If the Feller was better, it'd probably still be fooling me. I compare the Koufax to known authentic exemplars and I still cant find a fatal flaw.
FYI,

The fatal flaw for me in the Koufax is at the beginning of Sandy....With an authentic Koufax, The bottom "tail of the S" does not point upward like the forgery shown here.

It is very easy to see this is a Koufax forgery at first glance. Basically a CSC, Birdsick, Stat, Morales GAI (Baker) special....
Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Come on. Do you believe the man who penned these beauties (Greg Marino) was actually capable of fooling an educated collector?
There's no way that Ryan above is a Marino creation.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Come on. Do you believe the man who penned these beauties (Greg Marino) was actually capable of fooling an educated collector?
There's no way that Ryan above is a Marino creation.]
Are you saying its not a forgery or someone better than Marino forged it?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35 PM

I'm no expert on Ryan--I couldn't spot a lousy forgery.
But if that ball is forged--the experts here say it is an excellent forgery, and I trust them--then someone better than Marino is the culprit.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

Go to the thread "lets see pics from signings", I have a Koufax posted there.
Look at the loop on the S. The forgers usually screw up there.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Default JimStinson

Master counterfeiters (I'm told) Can "freehand" twenty dollar bills. So how difficult is it for them to forge a Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth ? What an autograph "looks Like" is certainly important BUT there are other factors in play when trying to determine authenticity. Most seasoned dealers (and collectors) know this.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Quote/"It fooled me for years. Certainly a cut above the sloppy drek cartoonish Florida fakes. But the Feller kept nagging me and I posted it here about a year ago. Some folks thought they were good, but the eventual consensus was they were fakes. Look at the similarity in the top of the R in Ryan and the top of the B in Bob."

The entire "B" and "R" are the same. Also, look at the "o" in Bob and the "a" in Sandy, they are almost identical.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Steve Zarelli

This thread inspired me to re-read Operation Bullpen and something just struck me. In the photos section there is a Marino signed "Five Presidents" photo. This is the pose taken at the Nixon Library of the 5 living presidents at the time (Nixon through Bush 41)

However, the signature over George HW Bush 41 is the signature of George W Bush (the future 43)!!!

The book mentions Greg Marino assembled a "black book" of exemplars. Obviously he was using the wrong Bush template.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM

He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Hey, I happen to know Kevin Nelson, who wrote the book Operation Bullpen. He doesn't belong to the forum but he did see this thread and he sent me this note to post. It says:

"Hey everyone, I happened to see your thread on Greg Marino cuts and I wanted to add my two cents. The person who said the quote about how "there really were no cuts" before Bray and Marino was Phil Halpern, the United States District Attorney in the case who was part of the FBI investigation. This is, to be sure, an exaggeration on Halpern's part, but there is absolutely no question that the Bray-Marino ring took cuts to a whole new level, producing tens of thousands of them and far exceeding anyone else in the business.

Marino, in his prime, was producing dozens of cuts every day, when he did cuts, and the ring was in full-time operation for years. In fact he told me that he produced more than a million forgeries in his career, including cuts and other types of forgeries. All best, Kevin Nelson"

Last edited by travrosty; 06-25-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Richard Simon

Yes the Marino ring took cuts to a new level volume wise but Dross and Zimmerman forged a huge amount of autographs, mostly on cuts.
I can still remember the day when I was set up at a baseball card show and a young couple came to my table, envelope in hand. They asked if I buy autographs. When I said yes they dumped the contents of the envelope on my table. There were probably about 50 cuts. All forgeries. When I asked them who they bought them from they told me Ron Dross. I had to tell them that everything was forged. They wanted to sell these autographs, which he had been collecting for some time, to finance their wedding. When I had to give them the bad news they were crestfallen. They proceeded to another table, manned by Richard Galasso, and he gave them the same news I did.
Dross eventually graduated to the infamous huge scam involving B&W HOF plaks, balls and photos.
He probably milked that scam for about $100K.
Nobody ever prosecuted them so perhaps the US Atty was not aware of the presence of these two. But they were full time forgers.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Hey, I happen to know Kevin Nelson, who wrote the book Operation Bullpen. He doesn't belong to the forum but he did see this thread and he sent me this note to post. It says:

"Hey everyone, I happened to see your thread on Greg Marino cuts and I wanted to add my two cents. The person who said the quote about how "there really were no cuts" before Bray and Marino was Phil Halpern, the United States District Attorney in the case who was part of the FBI investigation. This is, to be sure, an exaggeration on Halpern's part, but there is absolutely no question that the Bray-Marino ring took cuts to a whole new level, producing tens of thousands of them and far exceeding anyone else in the business.

Marino, in his prime, was producing dozens of cuts every day, when he did cuts, and the ring was in full-time operation for years. In fact he told me that he produced more than a million forgeries in his career, including cuts and other types of forgeries. All best, Kevin Nelson"
Did Mr. Nelson get pics/scans of more forgeries during his research than what appeared in his book?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

http://www.operationbullpen.com/gallery1.html

the galleries on the webpage show a few more.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
http://www.operationbullpen.com/gallery1.html

the galleries on the webpage show a few more.
Thanks Travis
Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Just finished Operation Bullpen yesterday at the City Fireworks while we waited. Great book! Travis, please pass on to Kevin that I thought this was a fantastic read and I commend him for all the research!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Banned

will do!

it's done, he said thanks, and he wants to use your endorsement on his web blog, is it alright?

Last edited by travrosty; 07-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
will do!

it's done, he said thanks, and he wants to use your endorsement on his web blog, is it alright?
Absolutely!!