NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default NFL Playoff Spin

What a great NFL playoff weekend! And as a bonus, there seems to be a lot of spin and/or drama surrounding each of the four games. Curious what others' take is on all of this. Here's mine.

1. Carolina @ Denver - a recent article in the Tacoma paper has to be the worst spin yet: Carolina is a losing record division-winning team, playing the defending Super Bowl Champs. The spin is that this is just like what Seattle faced a few years back when they beat New Orleans in the first round. But that's where the resemblance ends - Seattle beat New Orleans at home, because Seattle was at home. Seattle is at home tomorrow as well. Also, that was a first round game while this one is second round;i.e-Carolina had their unlikely moment of playoff glory last week. It's all over now.

2. Dallas @ Green Bay - first Dallas trip to Lambeau for a playoff game since the 1967 Ice Bowl. Both teams played their last games against Detroit. Also, arguable the toughest 'last 2 games' path to a Super Bowl that any team has ever faced: on the road at Lambeau, then at Seattle (presumably). Still, I'm picking Dallas. Romo was 'off' last week and Rogers was 'on'. If that switches, which it's done this season with both qb's, Dallas should eek one out.

3. Baltimore @ New England - New England seems to have playoff issues with Baltimore. I'm bored with Tom Brady and his coach, who with a win this week would tie for the most playoff victories ever.

4. Indianapolis @ Denver - the 'revenge against my old team' factor is pretty much dead now, but the prospect of a repeat AFC Championship game against N.E. is intriguing, as is another shot at Seattle to prove that Elway made the right adjustments after last year. I would love to see another Seattle vs Denver SuperBowl, with similar results to last year. Only because it would make for some of the best off-season discussions ever.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Go packers!!!

For those of us with better bloodlines and taste, there's a great picture gallery of Pack fanatics on ESPN.com.

I admit to being worried about this Dallas game, but I do have confidence in the Lambeau Mojo!

The other games don't really matter.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 01-09-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
For those of us with better bloodlines and taste, there's a great picture gallery of Pack fanatics on ESPN.com.

I admit to being worried about this Dallas game, but I do have confidence in the Lambeau Mojo!

The other games don't really matter.
I'm such a die-hard Cowboys fan that I am finding it impossible to 'believe' they will lose this game, even though the better half of my brain says it will be nearly impossible to win at Lambeau. Of course, the same could have been said in 1967.

There are four huge games with strong favorites in each, yet I have a feeling there will be two upsets. It could be any two games. Tickets for the Carolina-Seattle game are CHEAP and getting cheaper. Very, very tempting to attend that one.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm such a die-hard Cowboys fan that I am finding it impossible to 'believe' they will lose this game, even though the better half of my brain says it will be nearly impossible to win at Lambeau. Of course, the same could have been said in 1967.

There are four huge games with strong favorites in each, yet I have a feeling there will be two upsets. It could be any two games. Tickets for the Carolina-Seattle game are CHEAP and getting cheaper. Very, very tempting to attend that one.
Didn't realize that your brain had a better half.

(Aren't they both okay?)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

My brain actually has 3 halves, but one of them is not in my head.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
My brain actually has 3 halves, but one of them is not in my head.
So you're saying you have a Hockey brain?

If Carolina wins, pigs will fly; dogs and cats will co-habitate, etc.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 01-10-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
So you're saying you have a Hockey brain?

If Carolina wins, pigs will fly; dogs and cats will co-habitate, etc.
I didn't pick Carolina, but I think they are most likely to upset after Baltimore. I would rank them as follows, but I picked Baltimore and Dallas, not Carolina. I have to hope my own teams win

1. Baltimore
2. Carolina
3. Dallas
4. Indianapolis
Old 01-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Ben North

I am just glad to see the Cowboys in the playoffs. Now hopefully they can stay undefeated on the road this year.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:37 PM

Default Peyton:

ESPN initially went after the possibility of Peyton Manning's terrible game vs. Indianapolis being the his last game - saying that he just no longer had the ability to make the necessary throws.

Today, we found out the truth, he played with a torn quad muscle, the graphic details of which gives me the 'shivers'.

While we hate to hear of someone so universally well respected suffering, we are relieved that we have not seen the last of the most cerebral quarterback ever.

Kudos to Phillip Rivers for setting the pain-threshold so high (played with torn ACL).

Oh, and Aaron was just Aaron, despite a partially torn calf muscle. GO PACK!

Last edited by clydepepper; 01-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

That's good news in a way. I hate to think he's done after that terrible performance last night. It was really hard to understand, but on the other hand, it's still difficult to explain some of his choices - passing into blanketed coverage where if anyone was going to catch the ball, Indy had as good a chance as Denver. That's a mental issue, not physical.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Jay Shelton

Having been a Patriots fan since 1975, I'm glad they are back in the AFC championship. And having lived in the Dallas area all my life, I've rooted against the Cowboys faithfully since 1989; the day Jerry Jones purchased the team. I'm not a Cowboys hater, just a Jerry Jones "disliker..."

Go Pats!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I didn't pick Carolina, but I think they are most likely to upset after Baltimore. I would rank them as follows, but I picked Baltimore and Dallas, not Carolina. I have to hope my own teams win

1. Baltimore
2. Carolina
3. Dallas
4. Indianapolis
50 points above Mendoza....very impressive Scott!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
That's good news in a way. I hate to think he's done after that terrible performance last night. It was really hard to understand, but on the other hand, it's still difficult to explain some of his choices - passing into blanketed coverage where if anyone was going to catch the ball, Indy had as good a chance as Denver. That's a mental issue, not physical.

Actually, he used to complete that type of pass all the time, and we were amazed! Least we soon forget how good he has been.

Also, there were several dropped passes, but I attribute that to the receivers being used to catching full-speed passes not the change-ups that were so frequent on Sunday.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
50 points above Mendoza....very impressive Scott!
I think Frank got them all correct, so you know something went horribly wrong this weekend.