NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 1933 Goudey Ruth Raw?
Yes 80 53.69%
No 43 28.86%
Maybe 26 17.45%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Would you buy a 1933 Goudey Ruth Raw?

Title says it all, but I know Net54 loves specifics , so I will set the stage.

You are at a card show and a reputable dealer has a raw 1933 Goudey Ruth for sale. Card appears VG and does not look altered upon examination. Price is very fair for the card. Dealer says they will back up that it is real. Would you buy the card? Love to see your reason (s) on why you selected your poll answer.

I posed this exact question with some friends over the weekend, love to see Net54's take. I will give their takes in a few days.

Last edited by parkplace33; Yesterday at 11:23 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Not to throw in a variable but if I'm at a large show and there's a TPG onsite, I'd be more inclined to make a deal dependent on the review for authenticity.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
Ben North

Absolutely and if I wasn't comfortable doing so I would stop collecting. I understand a new collector needing some help. A raw card has no more of a chance being altered than a slabbed card. In the real world it probably has a way less chance of being altered as they are altered to get into slabs.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

For what a 1933 Goudey Ruth costs, I would not buy one raw. Sure, it could be ok. But chances are high that there is a reason why a card of that value is not in a holder.

Last edited by Bored5000; Yesterday at 11:27 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
For what a 1933 Goudey Ruth costs, I would not buy one raw. Sure, it could be ok. But chances are high that there is a reason why a card of that value is not in a holder.
He said it's bought from a reputable dealer that will back it up if it's "real." Unless, you weren't exactly quoting him?

I would clarify if it's altered or not real, will he give a refund?

if he says yes, then of course I would buy it. If he says no, then I wouldn't buy it. Otherwise, I voted yes...

Last edited by Leon; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I would not buy raw at those potential price points.

I am not skilled enough to judge what looks at different levels of the grading and would be comfortable it was a real card but unsure as I value as a result

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I have more than enough trust in myself to buy a raw card.

I would pay a fair raw price if I was in person and can handle the card. If it's online, I would possibly lower an offer for risk of trimming or coloring dependent on what I see.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I don't think I'd buy one over the internet, but if I can examine the card in hand as in this scenario, I don't see why not.
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Absolutely and if I wasn't comfortable doing so I would stop collecting. I understand a new collector needing some help. A raw card has no more of a chance being altered than a slabbed card. In the real world it probably has a way less chance of being altered as they are altered to get into slabs.
I was under the impression that most of the trimmed pre-war cards were trimmed before any TPGs existed. Is that not correct?
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I was under the impression that most of the trimmed pre-war cards were trimmed before any TPGs existed. Is that not correct?
Massive amounts of trimmed cards in PSA/SGC/etc. slabs have been outed as trimmed the last few years. Trimming did not stop with the advent of graders who seem unable or unwilling to detect a halfway decent trim job.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Not to throw in a variable but if I'm at a large show and there's a TPG onsite, I'd be more inclined to make a deal dependent on the review for authenticity.
Kind of agree with Packs on this one.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Massive amounts of trimmed cards in PSA/SGC/etc. slabs have been outed as trimmed the last few years. Trimming did not stop with the advent of graders who seem unable or unwilling to detect a halfway decent trim job.
I think far far more have been trimmed post TPG. 30 plus years and counting, and God only knows how many of these scumbags (I mean leading hobby figures) are still out there every day.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Yesterday at 03:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think far far more have been trimmed post TPG. 30 plus years and counting, and God only knows how many of these scumbags (I mean leading hobby figures) are still out there every day.
The greater the profit and the easier the profit is made, the more fraud there will be. I see no reason to think fraud is not an all time high in the hobby the last few years with how easy it is to do and how immensely high the returns are. We are probably at many, many multiples of 1990 fraud levels in terms of real dollars, inflation adjusted dollars, and quantity of incidents but I don’t have data to prove that.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

I would have no hesitation to buy it without TPG assurances under the scenario described. I would not make the purchase, because nowadays I would not be able to afford it, even at a very reasonable price.

Brian (I bought my 2 piece 1933 Goudey Ruth in a group lot back in the day, and I valued its share of the purchase cost at the lowest possible 3 digit number)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baberuthgoudey003 (335x400).jpg (92.2 KB, 291 views)
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Generally, no. Although a graded card can be undetected altered, at least its in a slab and can easily be sold if you might be suspicious. But a raw, if it comes back un-slabable, what are you going to do now ?
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Generally, no. Although a graded card can be undetected altered, at least its in a slab and can easily be sold if you might be suspicious. But a raw, if it comes back un-slabable, what are you going to do now ?
I believe this has a lot to do with why so many do not care about card alterations. If they find out their graded card is altered they can still easily pass it on to the next graded card collector/investor. Kinda like the modern game of hot potato with prospects.
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Definitely easier to sell the problem to someone else and pass it along to the next sucker if it’s graded. I would hope people wouldn’t do that, but of course they will.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I would absolutely buy a raw card under the same conditions I would buy a slabbed card. Is the seller reputable? Will he refund money if it turns out something is wrong with the card? etc.
What I would not do is pay based upon some theoretical/made up grade. Just cause it looks like a 5, doesn't mean it will grade a 5.
Also, I would be much more inclined to buy a card raw in person, unless I knew the person or knew of their reputation. There are many on this board i would have no problem buying something raw from.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Default 33 Goudey Ruth

Yes, I'd buy raw at a show as I'd trust myself to evaluate properly-

Trent King
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Fred

I put maybe. If I get to hold it and examine it, then yes. If it's based on scans, then probably not.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Danny Gr|mes

I voted yes.

I have no problems buying raw period. Big ticket items in person viewing is a must, small time online browsing is ok. We should be well educated and evolved by now to spot all major imperfections, alterations, fakes etc. and after all that if your still pressed to get it graded just submit it… next

Last edited by refz; Yesterday at 05:08 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I trust my own judgement more than that of the opinion sellers, and I wouldn't charge myself as much.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Sadly The consensus by the market movers, the ones who set the going market price bidding in auctions seems to be once the card is in a PSA or SGC Holder with a number grade It doesn’t matter what has been done to the card. It’s in a holder now blessed by PSA or SGC and is unaltered and authentic with a number grade. It is now highly liquid and has a greater resale value now and down the road.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Sadly The consensus by the market movers, the ones who set the going market price bidding in auctions seems to be once the card is in a PSA or SGC Holder with a number grade It doesn’t matter what has been done to the card. It’s in a holder now blessed by PSA or SGC and is unaltered and authentic with a number grade. It is now highly liquid and has a greater resale value now and down the road.
Yes, as I never tire of saying, the flip is now the commodity.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Eric

I would get a background on the card. How it was obtained by the dealer. I most likely would buy it raw, with a thorough review of the card. I'm sure they would back it up for being real, but altered is a different story, so I would really review the card before buying.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes, as I never tire of saying, the flip is now the commodity.
That's exactly what it is…
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
J@mes In.gram

Not only would I, I did so. Gehrig too. And Foxx.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

I once bought a raw 1933 Sport Kings Babe Ruth off eBay, paid $500 for it and it graded a 2 by PSA.. this was about 20 years ago or so.

now days, I would probably still buy raw off eBay due to the authenticity guarantee.

Last edited by bcookie; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not directed at anyone in particular, but I would bet at least some of you would not catch some of the more expert alterations that top of the profession card doctors are capable of.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

I won an ungraded ‘33 Gehrig #92 in an eBay auction with a 99 cent starting bid for sub $800 in 2007 or 2008. It is now in a PSA 5 holder in my safe deposit box. But it’s a different world. So I voted maybe.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not during winter
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

yes

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I did exactly that

At the Philly show last year. I asked the dealer to guarantee the card would get a number grade (Not an "Authentic"), NOT specifying or asking for a guarantee of any particular number. He agreed and I purchased the card. It ended up getting a 2.5 - the best I thought possible when buying it!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
+1 (in terms of altered cards residing in numbered slabs).

Also... Why are people putting so much stock in TPGs? Do they not pay attention, or are they so insecure that they need someone else to tell them what their own eyes should easily perceive?

Take this 1956 Jackie Card with its mangled top border and multiple creases. Does anyone really think this card is a "5.5"? I prefer to trust my own judgement...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28583419175...Bk9SR7LIgc3lYw

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; Yesterday at 11:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Chase

I answered yes based on the conditions of the sale. And as was stated a few posts above, I think most of us think we are great at catching alterations but I would wager (in honor of snowman) that most who think they can spot alterations would not do well on a grading test.
Old Today, 02:09 AM
Dave Foster

Only if I was drunk, drugged and blindfolded.
Old Today, 06:51 AM

Default 1933 Goudeys

I'm selling my collection of the 239 card set.I put it together
in the early 90s.Then I got very busy at work,and personal
problems.
So,I put it away until now.Grading was not in the picture?
We looped them,held them,and inspected them.
Old Today, 06:56 AM
Eric Perry

I don’t collect Goudey; however, tweak the original question slightly and I’d feel comfortable buying raw. A T206 Matty, Cobb, or WaJo? Yes, I’d buy it ungraded in person.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old Today, 06:56 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Also... Why are people putting so much stock in TPGs? Do they not pay attention, or are they so insecure that they need someone else to tell them what their own eyes should easily perceive?

Take this 1956 Jackie Card with its mangled top border and multiple creases. Does anyone really think this card is a "5.5"? I prefer to trust my own judgement...

Knew it would be an old label before looking.
Old Today, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Lawyers don't represent themselves despite their grasp of law. It's because you might be seeing what you want to see.
Old Today, 10:49 AM
Steven Sadler

I would definitely buy a raw Goudey Ruth as I've handled them over the years. I bought a collection a few years back that had a Goudey and two Sport Kings Ruth cards in it along with a bunch of other Goudeys.
Old Today, 11:05 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Sure.

Interesting this would come up. I bought a lot of raw Diamond Stars off another group and when they came, they were all considerably short/thin compared to the rest of my set. I am aware of the variation in National Chicle, but was uncomfortable with them. The seller was good with the refund. He sold them to someone else and they all graded (none were of any notable value) and he sent me a note that they weren't trimmed. I am very sure they were not only because of the smallness but the borders seemed a bit wavy to me. It worked out ok for both of us as I would have been uncomfortable with them in my set (which I intend to keep the commons raw).