NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Default Uncataloged Roadmaster Bicycle Photo Bob Feller?

Hello. I picked up this item on ebay this past month. When I bid, I thought it was a 1951 Roadmaster 8" x 10" Photo of Bob Feller, which is cataloged in the Standard Catalog of BB cards (pg 308, 2009 edition). When I received my package and went to confirm some details against the photo in the "Big Book," I noticed that my photo was different. First off, Bob Feller is wearing a different uniform. Second, he's riding a different model bicycle. Third, the photo background shows a different portion of the stadium. Lastly, and most important, my photo has writing on the back advertising the Roadmaster "Luxury Liner" model that Bob is riding, whereas the catalog version is advised to be blank back. The dimensions appear the same, as well as the facsimile autograph. I have attached an ad from 1941 showing the photo in the catalog for reference, although the ad is not precisely the same as the card in the Big Book (no auto for example). The catalog description states other player photos may be found, but it looks as if (possibly) other photos of the same player and from other years may be the case as well. Does anyone have a Roadmaster Photo of Bob Feller or other player (Pee Wee Reese is the only other catalogued photo) for comparison? Over how many years were the photos actually offered? I feel the 1951 date in the Big Book is incorrect. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Bob Lemke

Default 1949-53?

Quick Google search found Roadmaster Luxury Liner was produced 1949-53. Can any of the uniform guys narrow it down?

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 06-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Default according to Okkenen

if you're sure about the year for the bike, then Bob is wearing a 1949 uniform.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default roadmaster

any interest in selling it
Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default roadmaster

i need as a type card
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

They are not uncataloged, I have seen them from time to time.

Listed as 1951 Roadmaster Photos in the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

Feller NRMT $200
Reese NRMT $250

(Im looking at the 2008 book)

Edited to say..sorry I didnt read your post first. I see you have a different uniform one, very cool!

Last edited by fkw; 06-18-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:48 AM

Default Adding to the 1951 Roadmaster date debate...

As I mentioned in my first post, I think the catalog has the date wrong for the known Bob Feller Roadmaster (or perhaps it was issued over multiple years). I have attached two more ads for Roadmaster that connect the bike to the premium available by mail. Please note the ad previously attached in my first post was from 1941 (dated in the ad). The new attachments I believe are 1946 and 1948, respectively, although they are not dated in the ad so I will try to verify.

To recap, the catalogued Roadmaster Bob Feller is listed as 1951, and the ads seem to show that version premium was available much earlier (possibly as early as 1941, given the picture in the 1941 ad ultimately served as the original premium).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940s Roadmaster Bicycle Ad - Bob Feller.jpg (75.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Roadmaster Bicycle Ad - Bob Feller.jpg (74.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Interesting

The dated ad from 1941 shows Feller in a Tribe uniform from that year, not surprisingly. The ads that you believe are from 1946 and 1948 use the same photograph, so it looks like they re-issued their premiums over many years (of course Bob was off to WWII from 1942-1945, which would explain why no new photo was obtained then).

The photo you obtained appears to be from 1949. If the Luxury Liner model was available from 1949-1953, then the only year in that span where the Indians wore the uniform shown was 1949. Of course, they could have recycled (pun intended) that photo for years as well, but it looks like it could not have issued before 1949, at least if Bob's bike info is correct (otherwise, the Tribe wore that same uniform from 1947-1949).

Hope that helps.

EDITED TO ADD: The uniform from the 1941 ad was worn by the Indians that year, true enough. However, that same uniform was worn by the team in 1940 and perhaps earlier as well (depending on left arm patch not visible in pic), so it's possible the photo premium offer predates 1941 also (although no ad apparently has surfaced to verify this).

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-19-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: further research
Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Dan Studebaker

Tags
bob feller, cleveland indians, premiums, roadmaster, uncataloged