NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Bob Donaldson

Default Hostess Twinkie Variations

Attached are three different variations of Hostess baseball cards from 1977.

Card #46 is a Hostess card of Mark Fidrych. It does not have a black bar at all on the back. I also have about 30-40 full panels from 75-79 and none of them show any black bar

Card #74 of Dick Ruthven is a Hostess Twinkie card, having a large black bar on the bottom. On about ½ of my Twinkee cards a small part of the black bar is also at the top (as shown on the #23 Jim Rice card). Allso note the font size of the letters is considerably smaller than on the Hostess card.
In my collection I have #s of this type 36 39 41 43 44 45 50 59 74 109 112 113 127 131

The mystery to me is card #23 of Jim Rice. I believe it is also a Twinkie card as it has the black bar. It also has the food stain typically found on Twinkie cards. However, it also has a normal font size on its letters.
In my collection I have #s of this type; 21 22 34 all of which have a very small piece of the bar at the bottom and #23 as shown in one of the attachments.

Would you agree that the Rice and Ruthven are Twinkies.

Is the smaller font size a variation? Do only certain numbers (36 and above?) have it? Do some cards have both?

I’d be interested in your comments.

Thanks

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hostess-f.jpg (81.7 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg hostess-b.jpg (82.0 KB, 224 views)
Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Mark Macrae

Default 5 different formats !!

Bob.....These cards were issued regionally in individual packages of Twinkies & Cupcakes They also served as packaging reinforcement. As a result most of the cards encountered, now & then, will have noticeable staining on them and will exhibit wear and / or creases. With NONE of the excess paper removed, there are five different sizes / formats for this set....A) 2 1/4 x 4 1/2, B) 3 1/8 x 4 3/16,C) 4 1/2 x 4 1/4, D) 6 x 4, E) 4 1/2 x5 5/8..... It's possible that there are more regional variations in format that exist which I am not familiar with. Hope this helps...Mark
Old 06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Bob Donaldson

Mark,

Thanks for the info. When the cards came out in 75-79 I saved the whole bottoms from boxes of twinkies (my snack of choice). I seem to remember the individual cards for twinkies were wider as twinkies were packaged side by side and longer for cup cakes as they were packaged one on top of each other. However I trimed all those so I have no idea which cards came in which package. I wonder if the cards with the smaller typeset came with a specific brand.

thanks

Bob
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM

As I recall, one of the sizes (larger than the Twinkies) was packaging for Suzie Qs. At least in the LA area...

Bob C
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I seem to remember panels, I think on "King Dons", that instead of having the cards three-across:

X X X,

the cards were two-across with one below:

X X
X

Does anyone else remember these?

Steve

Edited...yep, just found one on ebay:

Last edited by Steve D; 07-03-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Bob Donaldson

Here's one from 1977

I don't know if they are from King Dons as I've a full King Don box from 1975 that is 3 across. Also I remember them as Ding Dongs not King Dons
Old 07-04-2009, 06:26 PM

I think the same product was referred to King Dons in some parts of the country and Ding Dongs in others. I grew up in the LA area and we had Ding Dongs. I believe the 2 & 1 panels were on the packaging of a smaller type of snack. Crumb Cakes, maybe?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Great memories....
I used to have dozens of unfolded (unused) boxes of King Dongs (3 cards across) I got back in the
late 1970s. I never knew what a King Dong was back then and even thought they were an "error" of some kind (I was 12 years old)....... We only had Ding Dongs in NorCal

I have always liked the Hostess cards and can remember going to the stores with Mom and looking through all the Hostess stuff for Garvey, McCovey, etc., same with the Kelloggs cards and also a few years later Granny Goose Potato Chips looking for that short printed 1981 Dave Revering card. Those were fun days

Last edited by fkw; 07-06-2009 at 11:12 PM.