NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Milestones - Miles Davis
The Black Sea - XTC
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Disraeli Gears - Cream
The Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Never Mind The Bullocks, Here Come The Sex Pistols - Sex Pistols
(Plays) Villa Lobos - Julian Bream
Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello
In A Silent Way - Miles Davis
In The Wee Hours - Sinatra
Then Play On - Fleetwood Mac

and on and on...
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Ben North

AC/DC pick any 10 of their albums as long as Back in Black is #1.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Bill Gregory

We need to differentiate between best albums of all-time, or our favorite albums of all-time, because it seems people are getting them mixed up.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Biil, with all due respect, how can you even begin to moderate a thread like this? It's all totally subjective. Why would something be on a greatest list if it wouldn't be someone's personal favorite? I'm not the biggest AC/DC fan but I can see that person's reasoning -- if those are that person's fave and therefore greatest and rocks their world, more power to him. What if I were to copy and paste Rolling Stone mag's list of 100 Greatest Rock Albums of All Time? We should all just accept it? Every time they do something like that they get letters to the editor, because RS is just as subjective as the rest of us.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Default The Real Top Ten !!

Afternoon,

Well a few of you got some right, but nobody came close to this grouping!!!!!

1. Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
2. Wishbone Ash, Argus
3. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
4. Alice Cooper, Killer
5. Alice Cooper, Billion Dollar Babies
6. Wishbone Ash, New England
7. Alice Cooper, Love it to Death
8. The Psychedelic Furs - "Should God Forget: A Retrospective" 1997 (Or Their Greatest Hits Album)
9. Yes, Long Distance Runaround Album
10. The Tubes, White Punks On Dope

Now that's some music, and I have all 10 and been listening for 30+ years!!!

YeeHah

Neil
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutymon View Post
Afternoon,

2. Wishbone Ash, Argus
4. Alice Cooper, Killer
8. The Psychedelic Furs - "Should God Forget: A Retrospective" 1997 (Or Their Greatest Hits Album)

YeeHah

Neil
Hi Neil, Don't hate me for this but my personal favorite song on Black Sabbath (1) is The Wizard. I just love the drums and the blues harp! What can I say?

Wishbone Ash was great in the three-geetar lineup. I used to see them at the Whiskey A-Go-Go in Hollywood.

As far as Yes, I'm going with Relayer. I saw them at the Cow Palace in SF. What a gas. Alan White instead of Bruford, but still totally wonderful.

Paul
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Guy Bourque

allman brothers - live at fillmore east
The Clash, 'London Calling'
The Rolling Stones, 'Exile on Main Street'
BB King 'live at the Regal'
Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin 1'
The Who, 'Who's Next'
Pink Floyd, 'The Dark Side of the Moon'
Bob Marley and the Wailers, 'Legend'
Cream 'disraeli gears'
Rolling Stones 'Some girls'
Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Biil, with all due respect, how can you even begin to moderate a thread like this? It's all totally subjective.
Yeah, a thread like this will get an overwhelming response and let's face it, we all like pushing our opinions out there, either for some validation, or to stir up some shite or some even to prove how cool they are...given the wide range of age and taste, and even geographic location it's impossible to agree on a top 10 of anything related to music.

That being said, I'm going to chime in with my top 10, and the chosen were based on overall quality of the entire album (is every track great?); quality of the performance, recording, and songwriting; execution of concept (if a concept type album); my personal tastes (all over the place); and LONGEVITY (how has the album held up over time?)

I'll put on my flame retardant suit once I hit "send".

In no particular order:

PINK FLOYD "Dark Side of the Moon"
Everyone knows this one but from my own perspective, this album really got my mind going in a forward direct (and no, I don't get stoned so that wasn't it...) I upbringing was very sheltered - I was allowed to listen to classical and "wholesome" music but the lyrics really opened my eyes and the music my ears.

EAGLES "Hotel California"
Those of us who live out here in CA probably identify with this album better than others but man, this hits on so many levels. Loss of innocence, wretched excess, broken dreams. But we are still here. As the song says, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..."

NEIL DIAMOND "Hot August Night"
People know I like music sometimes ask me about live albums. I keep telling them that this is the best live album, or at least my favorite. I'm almost glad there is no video of these concerts and it would probably ruin the magic. Like him or hate him, and in recent years he seems to be a parody of himself the man was an incredible live performer. This albums catches him at his creative peak, a star in full glory and he gives it all on every song. Some might fault his style as overly dramatic, but that's what performing is all about.

MARVIN GAYE "What's Goin' On"
This forum is probably not the best place to find fans of soul music but growing up in Oakland I was exposed to wide variety of music. See my comments about Dark Side above, I had to learn about this album way after release and after a lot of the events Marvin writes about had faded to memory. As I became more away of the real world around me this album hit a lot themes I was beginning to understand. But listening to it these days one realizes not much has changed and the themes are still things we need to address today. Unlike many Motown artitst Marvin was a songwriter too. This was a protest album with a groove.

ENYA "Shepherd Moons"
I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this one, but while I have always enjoyed fine hard rock and roll, this New Age album is simply the most beautiful music I've every heard on one CD. It works as background music (doesn't get in your way with catchy lyrics or backbeats) and you can experience some of the same mental/sonic pyrotechnics as Dark Side while listening to it in the dark on headphones.

BEATLES "Rubber Soul"
Greatest collection of pop songs, ever.

THE WHO "Tommy"
I can still listen to this one start to finish. There are some personal themes that resonate with me too, but I just love the guitar lines.

SARAH McLACHLAN "Surfacing"
I'm probably going to lose all my remaining man points with this pick. I guess I'm attracted to the "introspective singer/songwriter" type. Mostly because they seem to be able to express things that I can't. When Sarah sings "...you're a beautiful f**cked up man..." I think she's talking about me.

AC/DC "Back in Black"
In a previous life I used to work concessions at local concerts. It was a great way to get paid (very little) but see some cool shows. I was never a huge AC/DC fan but was simply (and literally) blown away by their show (and this was a Brian Johnson show, not a Bon Scott). BnB is not just a great hard rock album, I think it belongs on any "greatest" list. And no, this wasn't just to get some of those man points back.

TALKING HEADS "Remain in Light"
When I was still young and stupid (as opposed to old and...well) I could not get enough of this album. It was so different than anything else out at the time (end of disco era and start of punk/anti-music movement). Every now and then I pop it into the CD player and am amazed how still "futuristic" the sound is.

There you go.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Sean, you reminded me of others. Don't think I could get by with only ten - would need at least these 2 in addition. The news song by S & G really brings back the 60's for me. Our soccer team used to practice to Waiata.

Split Enz - Waiata
Simon & Garfunkle - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Time
Haha! Thats awesome! Are you from New Zealand/Australia? Im in the US and there doesnt seem to be a lot of Enz fans here. Such a shame as I think they (and Neil Finn/Crowded House) are as close to The Beatles as any band has gotten. Here s apic of my Mental Notes signed poster with handwritten Phil Judd Lyrics for the song Titus (the Second Thoughts version is one of my all-time favorites)
mental notes big.jpg

and here it is signed by all but Noel
mental notes all signed.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 03-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post

Some albums i also love but i thought mybe a little too well known for the list i just made but still more obscure. my top ten has also changed from original post. i will repost a list.

1. Love Devotion Surrender-Santana/Mahavishnu
2. Da Capo-Love
3. Marquee Moon-Television
4. Trout Mask Replica- Captain beefheart
5. White Light White Heat-The Velvet Underground
6. Hoist- Phish
7. Sea Change-Beck (he's famous album not as much, but is a critics favorite)
8. pacific ocean blue- dennis wilson

Nice to see Pacific Ocean Blue on a list. Heres my signed Dennis poster from that album
dennis wilson.jpg
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
What do you guys think are the 10 best albums of all time. My list every album was released before I was born in 1972

1. Revolver- The Beatles
2. Astral Weeks- Van Morrison
3. Sgt. Peppers- The Beatles
4. Everyboby Knows This Is Nowhere- Neil young
5. Blonde On Blonde-Bob Dylan
6. White Light/ White Heat- The Velvet Underground
7. American Beauty- Grateful Dead
8. All Things Must Pass- George Harrison
9. Stand!- Sly and the Family Stone
10. Who's Next- The Who
Honorable mention to: Trout Mask Replica- Captain Beefheart, Stooges-Stooges, Psychedelic Sounds Of The-13th Floor Elevators, Plastic Ono Band- John Lennon, Axis Bold As Love- Jimi Hendrix Experience
Reading Bill's comment, this is very interesting - the OP asked for us to list the '10 best', not our '10 favorite', yet he clearly listed some albums that no one could possibly consider to be among the '10 best' ever, so I think he really meant '10 favorite'. Not that they aren't great albums - I love most of them, but this just shows how subjective of a question this is.

Also, I posted my list without reading anyone else's, so as not to be influenced. Now I'm seeing other albums that would have to be in my list;e.g-'American Beauty', so it makes me realize that I can't even limit myself to 10 favorites - probably need at least 50.

Maybe 50 isn't even enough - over the years I have culled down my vinyl collection to about 250 albums, every now and then adding another. It's as small as it could possibly get . I have almost all of Elvis Costello, Marshall Crenshaw and Roy Buchanan - can't imagine letting go of any of them, but none are 'top 10' material.

Great thread - thanks for the memories!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Al

I just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in (my first non-cards post ever on 54) because I'm a music buff.

This is always an interesting question because our lists are always colored by music we like and don't like. My "BEST" albums list would not include Michael Jackson's "Thriller" or any Beatles albums, but it would be tough to argue that they don't belong in a Top 10 all-time list of albums. I just don't like either artist, and so they're not in my list.

So my list is a list of the top 10 albums of all-time, by artists I like. It has nothing to do with sales or popularity, just a list of artistically solid albums, each of which is a powerful body of work.

1) The Clash - "London Calling"
2) John Coltrane - "A Love Supreme"
3) The Rolling Stones - "Exile on Main Street"
4) Pavement - "Slanted and Enchanted"
5) The Replacements - "Let It Be"
6) The Who - "Who's Next"
7) Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Electric Ladyland"
8) Nirvana - "Nevermind"
9) Traffic - "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"
10) The Pixies - "Doolittle"

Honorable mentions to:

Led Zeppelin II
Prince - "Purple Rain"
The Band - "The Last Waltz"
Husker Du - "Flip Your Wig"
The Minutemen - "Double Nickels On The Dime"
Miles Davis - "Steamin'"
Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Time Out"
Bob Dylan - "Blonde On Blonde"

-Al
Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Jeff H

Not listed in any order, just 10 albums I like.

1) Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
2) untitled (Zeppelin IV) - Led Zeppelin
3) Harvest - Neil Young
4) Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith
5) Hotel California - Eagles
6) Abbey Road - Beatles
7) Centerfield - John Fogerty
8) Night at the Opera - Queen
9) Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
10) Hot August Night - Neil Diamond
Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default My other top ten list

Since some of the rock list included non-rock albums (Miles Davis, John Coltraine), I'll make my second top ten list. I listen to classical as much as I do rock

CLASSICAL MUSIC FAVORITES

Sergei Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky. The soundtrack to Eisenstein's 1937 epic war film. I'm a big fan of nearly all of Prokofiev's work. Challenging, powerful, exotic and very Russian. Romeo & Juliet is another good pick by him. Famous scene from the movie Alexander Nevsky Prokofiev's score from youtube Based on a real 13th century battle, the dark Russian army is waiting for the white German Crusading Knights on horseback to cross the ice for the final epic battle on the frozen Russian lake Piepus. Known as the 'Battle on the Ice,' it is one of the key events in Russian history. Powerful, visceral filmmaking, the extras were real soldiers in the Soviet army.

Gyorgi Ligeti – Atmospheres and Lontano. Ligeti is a famous 20th century Transylavnian avant garde classical composer. Mind expanding orchestral experiences.

Sergei Rachmaninoff-- Piano Concerto #2 and Rhapsody on a Theme on Paganini. Classical ear candy. Piano Concerto #2 was amusingly featured in Marilyn Monroe's Seven Year Itch.

Beethoven's Complete Symphonies. Got the complete symphonies box set for Christmas one year and not a bad symphony in the lot. Hours of music here.

Frederic Handel's Water and Fire Music. The German born Handel became the official composer for the British King, and his music is the epitemy of regal and sophistication.

Samuel Barber Adagio for Springs/Concerto for Violin/School for Scandal/Essay #1 and 2. Barber was a 20th century composer from Pennsylvania. As with Rachmaninoff, his music is ear candy and sounds like movie music.

Hilary Hahn Plays Bach. Excellent CD of the young American violinist solo playing beautiful J.S. Bach pieces. My sister went to school with Hahn.

Sviatoslav Richter, the great Soviet pianist, solo playing JS Bach on is hard to beat. Youtube sample of Richter playing Bach

Soundtracks to 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining (assorted composers old to new). Movie director Stanley Kubruick had great and esoteric musical taste, and the CDs include excellent assortments of works by modern and traditional composers including Bartok, Ligeti and Krzysztof Penderecki. The completely orchestral Penderecki pieces on The Shining are quite simply the darkest, most disturbing music ever composed (fitting for a horror movie). I say his music is the language of the Devil. I got the 2001 CD in college, and that's what got me into avant garde classical music, in particular Ligeti.

Last edited by drcy; 03-13-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Ad@m Be11

My Top Ten (no special order)

Beatles - Abbey Road
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Beach Boys - Smile
The Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East
Beastie Boys - License to Ill
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

I made my list without looking at others. It was tough to cut albums out and as I look at other people's I see some commonalities and other albums I'll need to look in to. Some of my honorable mentions included:

The Band - The Last Waltz
Pearl Jam - Ten
Metallica - Black Album
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Who - Quadrophenia
Radiohead - OK Computer
CSNY - Deja Vu
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240

Last edited by AMBST95; 03-12-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Reading Bill's comment, this is very interesting - the OP asked for us to list the '10 best', not our '10 favorite', yet he clearly listed some albums that no one could possibly consider to be among the '10 best' ever, so I think he really meant '10 favorite'. Not that they aren't great albums - I love most of them, but this just shows how subjective of a question this is.
Right, and that's all I'm asking for, Scott, is some clarification. Are we listing the 10 greatest albums of all-time, or our ten favorite albums? Because those lists are going to be vastly different.

Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys might be on my ten greatest albums list, but it wouldn't be in my top 100 favorite albums of all-time. Rio by Duran Duran might end up in my top ten favorite albums of all-time, but I doubt it would supplant something like Carole King's Tapestry from any all-time great list. Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends and Revolver by the Beatles might be listed in a lot of top ten all-time lists, but I don't know if I'd put Revolver ahead of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Abbey Road on my all-time top ten list.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to respond until this is made clear.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-14-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Bill Gregory

Ok, I'm going to try and come up with my top ten all-time favorite album list, which is a near impossibility. These are the ten albums, if I were forced to live on a deserted island the rest of my life (with a lifetime supply of batteries!), that I couldn't live without.

Good lord, this is going to be hard, because I love metal, progressive rock/metal, pop, rock, jazz, the blues, fusion, classical...everything but country, really. How do I limit myself to ten albums? Do I take a greatest hits compilation as one album, which is really cheating?

Sigh...

Ok, here goes nothing. And tomorrow I might change it.

Bill's top ten all-time favorite albums right now.

Queen-II
the Beatles-Abbey Road
Jeff Buckley-Grace
U2-the Unforgettable Fire
Tori Amos-Little Earthquakes
Dream Theater-Images and Words
Duran Duran-Rio
Van Halen-1984
Rush-Moving Pictures
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

How the hell do I leave Queen's Sheer Heart Attack or A Night at the Opera off this list, or Van Halen I? Do I drop Rio for Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced? What do I take off to pop in The Who's Who's Next? What about the aforementioned Sgt. Pepper, or Rubber Soul? I really want The Police's Synchronicity in there, and Toto IV. And I don't know where the hell I'm going to get some Led Zeppelin, or Cream in there. Zep IV, Disraeli Gears?

Edit: oh crap, no Thriller, no Miles Davis-Kind of Blue, or Bitches Brew--both could easily make my list. Songs From the Big Chair by Tears For Fears is another favorite. Hotel California by the Eagles, and I'll go nuts not having 2112 if I'm listening to Moving Pictures.

No Rainbow or Deep Purple, how the hell am I going to live on an island with no Ritchie Blackmore?

Just shoot me. I will never be happy with this top ten!

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-14-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:06 AM
J!m.b0n0v!ch

Default Brother Cane

I kow the guys that mentioned Brother Cane did so a few years ago when this thread was begun. I see they are still active on the boards so, on the off chance they still check this thread I thought I post post this pic. Maybe they, or someone else will get a kick out of it!

I was a fan in the early to mid-nineties. I saw them open for Van Halen (maybe... or was it Lynyrd Skynyrd?) in Huntsville, Alabama. By the time I saw them in 1998 in Colorado Springs they were playing small clubs again. It gave me the opportunity to meet them and chat a while and get their autographs! I can't recall if I got the pick during the show or if one of the guys gave it to me afterwards.

Now, as for the topic at hand, my top ten albums in no particular order (and with the disclaimer that there could be many, many more to make this list):

1. Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers - Includes my second favorite guitar solo of all time on Sway. (Favorite solo is Ocean by John Butler.)
2. Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge - They have stronger albums but this reminds me of some really good times.
3. Third Eye Blind, Third Eye Blind - Again, brings me back to a time. It wasn't the best of times and this album helped me through.
4. Metallica, Metallica - I wore out all of my cassette tapes of their preceding albums. This was one of the first CDs I purchased.
5. Boston, Third Stage - Tom Scholtz's guitar tone is so cool!
6. John Butler Trio, April Uprising - Hard to pick a favorite of mine from him so I'll go with the album that has my wife's and my first dance song.
7. Tool, Undertow - Just badass.
8. Cure, Show - A live album that is really, really good. Brings me back to good times too.
9. Guns N Roses, Use Your Illusion - Take your pick: I or II. I think they were at their peak with the range of the songs and the guitar solos on this album.
10. Bad Company, 10 From 6 - A "best of" album that I started listening to in high school. It opened my eyes to classic, blues based rock and broadened my horizons from just the eighties pop and hair metal that were my staples until then.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 AM
Jerry

In no particular order,
Grand Funk...The Red Album
Pink Floyd...Dark Side of the Moon
Rod Stewart and the Faces...Every Picture Tells a Story
Led Zepplin...First Album
Jimmy Hendrix, Buddy Miles, Billy Cox....Band of Gypsy's
The Doors...Morrison Hotel
Trapeze...Medusa
Deep Purple...Machine Head
Jethro Tull...Benefit
Neil Young...Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

Some of my other favorites of which I wore out Vinyl
Spooky Tooth...The Last Puff (I am the Walrus is very Heavy)
Traffic..Forget the album name but one with 40,000 Headmen
Beatles..Revolver, Sgt.Pepers & White Album
Mountain...First Album (Mississippi Queen if you know what I mean)
13 Floor Elevators..Album with (Slip inside this House as I pass by)
CSNY...Deja Vu
Rare Earth..Rare Earth
Bob Dylan...Highway 61 Revisited
Jimmy Hendrix Experience...Axis Bold as Love

Last edited by TheBig6; 03-16-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Glyn Parson

Default favorite or best

i get the difference but dont mind seeing either list from people . feel free to post both bill.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Bill Gregory

Brother Cane puts on a great show. I saw them early on, I think it was 1991, in Dallas.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Alex

AC/DC - Back in Black

Jay Z - Blueprint

Black Keys - Magic Potion

Robert Johnson - Complete Collection
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 AM
pariah1107

The Wipers : Over The Edge
The Ramones : The Ramones
The Sex Pistols : Nevermind The Bullocks
Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers : The Modern Lovers
Talking Heads : Stop Making Sense
Mudhoney : SuperFuzz Bigmuff
The Screaming Trees : Sweet Oblivion
The Sonics : Here Are The Sonics
Pink Floyd : Pipers At The Gates of Dawn
The 13th Floor Elevators : The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th FE's

Last edited by pariah1107; 03-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Few more...

The Beatles had a cassette, "Beatles, Rock n Roll Volume 2" - never made it to cd. But outstanding! Not sure if this counts as an album?

Personal #1 pick, "U2 Joshua Tree"

And don't forget "ZZ Top Eliminator"
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM
tony

The london years; ROLLING STONES
Lodger; DAVID BOWIE
Bat out of hell; Meatloaf
Definitely maybe; OASIS
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Ty great list

Love this list:

Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Love this list:

Great list. Myself, I couldn't post one and limit it to ten since I would have to expand the musical scope. For a short while in the early 80s I played drums with The Wipers. Greg (Hi Greg, if you ever read this) is a totally great guy: offstage quite polite, might remind you of Connie Mack w/o the straw hat. Onstage, well, you know...
Old 07-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Barry Sloate

Just finished listening to Johnny Winter's "The Progressive Blues Experiment", in memory of the great blues guitarist who died this past week. RIP
Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Just finished listening to Johnny Winter's "The Progressive Blues Experiment", in memory of the great blues guitarist who died this past week. RIP
Ugh, this is the first I've heard of his passing. I still have the vinyl of Live Johnny Winter And and his version of Highway 61 Revisited from Second Winter, which is such a killer slide track. RIP.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Barry Sloate

Second Winter is a three sided album. The fourth side is completely blank. Kind of a cool thing. I saw Johnny at the Boston Tea Party around 1971. He was a true blues virtuoso. Not surprisingly, the thing people often most remember about him and Edgar is that they were both albinos.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Second Winter is a three sided album. The fourth side is completely blank. Kind of a cool thing. I saw Johnny at the Boston Tea Party around 1971. He was a true blues virtuoso. Not surprisingly, the thing people often most remember about him and Edgar is that they were both albinos.
Hey Barry, I have that on vinyl too. One problem is that when I went to play it (years ago) the second disc was gone. I must have stuck it in the sleeve of one of my other 400+ albums.

True that Johnny and Edgar are likely remembered as albinos. Interesting how they were brothers but their musical tastes were different, at least in their respective recordings.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
€d M!££w00D

Lots of great albums mentioned, but there are two that I must have on my list:

Bruce Springsteen - "Born to Run". Not a bad song on the album. Rock/poetry/storytelling all wrapped up in one incredible album.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Pronounced". Ok, I am from the South, but ya gotta show some love for "Freebird". In the mid-70s, NO ONE wanted to follow the band on stage. They absolutely blew people away.

Ed
Old 07-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Barry Sloate

"Freebird" is a truly great song, no doubt about it.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Like most of you, I listen to a wide variety of music. My ten favorites in no order is as follows:

Headquarters - The Monkees
Dirty Deeds - ACDC
Fair Warning - Van Halen
Out of the Cellar - Ratt
Rubber Soul - Beatles
Flowers - Rolling Stones
The Doors - The Doors
Crosby Stills & Nash - Crosby Stills Nash
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Boston - Boston
Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Banned

Great thread! I love seeing the lists of varied genres. That indicates a true music fan.

Here's mine, in no particular order:

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Smoking Popes - Born to Quit
Saturday Night Fever - Soundtrack
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
Danzig - Danzig (S/T)
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night soundtrack
Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Mike

Quote:
It couldn't have been any later, Barry. I believe the Boston Tea Party gave up the ghost in 71. Johnny helped resurrect Muddy Waters career, too. "I'm Ready" and "Hard Again" are two of Muddy's best. Johnny also had a great album on Alligator called Nothin' But the Blues" that contains some of his finest slide work.

Another great album from the Boston area from the Tea Party era is "Blow Your Face Out...Live (recorded loud to be played loud) from J Geils......Woober Goober with the Green Teeth..........

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 07-25-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Barry Sloate

1971 sounds about right Mike. I lived in Boston from Sep 69 to Mar 72, so I probably caught the tail end of the Tea Party. Saw some great concerts there, including the Grateful Dead and Taj Mahal, among many others.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Who's Next
3. Sgt. Peppers
4. Low Spark of High-heeled Boys
5. Blood on the Tracks
6. Born to Run
7. The Joshua Tree
8. Hotel California
9. The Doors
10. Houses of the Holy

Hon. mention--pop
Goodbye Yellowbrick Road--Elton John
The Pretender--Jackson Browne
Pretzel Logic--Steely Dan
Todd- You're are the closest to any list I would make, but I would add...

Live in New York- Frank Zappa
Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

__

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 08-15-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 PM

Dreamboat Annie & Little Queen by Heart

Anne Wilson is one of the great rock singers!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-15-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:33 AM

Default music

I would throw in:

"Fear of Music"- Talking Heads
"Big Science"- Laurie Anderson
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Who's Next
3. Sgt. Peppers
4. Low Spark of High-heeled Boys
5. Blood on the Tracks
6. Born to Run
7. The Joshua Tree
8. Hotel California
9. The Doors
10. Houses of the Holy

Hon. mention--pop
Goodbye Yellowbrick Road--Elton John
The Pretender--Jackson Browne
Pretzel Logic--Steely Dan
I am pretty close to this list too.....great stuff. Believe it or not, I might put a Zach Brown album in there now..they are that good....
Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Here are mine - a lot are the same as some of, you but a few different ones!

1- ACDC - Back in Black
2 - Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
3 - Guns & Roses Appetite for destruction
4 - Metallica - Master of puppets
5 - U2 - Joshua Tree
6 - Nirvana -nevermind
7 - counting crows - august and everything after
8 - Scorpions - Love at First Sting
9 - white lion - pride
10 - billy joel - glass houses
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Danny Gr|mes

Alot of albums come to mind in my top ten but Rage Against the Machine's Bombtrack is my favorite. The anger gets me pumped!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM

I feel compelled to add three other artists, but I haven't decided on favorite albums:

Bonny Raitt
ZZ Top
Eva Cassidy

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutymon View Post
Afternoon,

2. Wishbone Ash, Argus
4. Alice Cooper, Killer

YeeHah

Neil
A Wishbone Ash fan. Saw then 5 or 6 times in 73-76 when the Turner brothers were with them. Argus and DSOTM are my 2 favorite albums of all time. Never can decide which is the best.

Traveled with the Tubes in 78 when I was dating Katie Bevin one of their dancers. Ended the tour at the Palidium in NY. Partied with Todd Rungren, The Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. The Tubes were going to do a Europe Tour after and Faye fell and broke his ankle. Cancelled it. Ahh the memories.

Last edited by 2dueces; 09-12-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 PM

I just found this thread. I love these kind of discussions. Here is my list. I do have a very eclectic taste in music.

1. Quadrophenia - The Who
I truly think this is the greatest album of all time - Townsend's masterpiece.

2. Dovark's "New World Symphony" - Von Dohnanyi w/Cleveland Symphony
This is amazing. If you don't listen to classical, try this piece. It is something to hear.

3. His Best: Chess 50th Anniversary Collection - Howlin' Wolf
Easily, my favorite blues singer.

4. Tarkus - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Probably my first favorite album for a long period of time.

5. Little Creatures - Talking Heads
David Byrne is quite a singer/song writer.

6. Blow By Blow - Jeff Beck
Ever seen Jeff Beck live? Wow!

7. Heartbeat City - The Cars
I had to put a Cars album in here. I do think this is their best.

8. Never Been Rocked Enough - Delbert McClinton
If you aren't familiar with Delbert, listen to a few of these songs on YouTube.

9. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Especially, the first disc.

10. Compact Command Performances - The Four Tops
I know it's a compilation, but how can you ignore Levi Stubbs when you are talking greatest anything in music?

Cy
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Sean Costello

1- Led Zeppelin IV (Led Zeppelin)
2- Sgt. Pepper (Beatles)
3- Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
4- Darkness on the Edge of Town (Bruce Springsteen)
5- Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
6- Abbey Road (Beatles)
7- Who's Next (The Who)
8- More Songs About Buildings and Food (Talking Heads)
9- Exile on Main Street (Rolling Stones)
10- Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits)

Last edited by Sean; 12-22-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
1- Led Zeppelin IV (Led Zeppelin)
2- Sgt. Pepper (Beatles)
3- Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
4- Darkness on the Edge of Town (Bruce Springsteen)
5- Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
6- Abbey Road (Beatles)
7- Who's Next (The Who)
8- More Songs About Buildings and Food (Talking Heads)
9- Exile on Main Street (Rolling Stones)
10- Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits)
I'm real close to yours

1- Born To Run
2- Abbey Road
3- Dark Side Of The Moon
4- Led Zeppelin 4
5- Who's Next
6- Revolver
7- Sgt. Pepper's
8- Let It Bleed
9- Highway 61 Revisited
10- The Velvet Underground & Nico
Old 12-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I'm real close to yours

1- Born To Run
2- Abbey Road
3- Dark Side Of The Moon
4- Led Zeppelin 4
5- Who's Next
6- Revolver
7- Sgt. Pepper's
8- Let It Bleed
9- Highway 61 Revisited
10- The Velvet Underground & Nico
We pretty much agree. Other than a couple that I chose that are more recent, we have the same groups. We just disagree on which one of their albums we prefer.