NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Default Old Football Helmet

I would like information about this old leather helmet that I believe is a spoke type football helmet. It came out of a hardware store that was originally ran by an 85 year old man's father. It has K&G 50 stamped into the top of the helmet. It could be K&C50, but I believe it is the former (see pictures). Have any of you see this particular helmet or do you believe it is an old, unused football helmet? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140112_095122_674.jpg (76.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140112_095147_249.jpg (77.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Matt

Doesn't look old to me
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 PM

I am not familiar with a maker with those initials, but I have had an 8 spoke helmet made by a small Philadelphia area maker before, so an unknown maker wouldn't be a surprise. The one I had was sold by a local Philadelphia area hardware store, and marked with the hardware store's name. I agree with Matt that the leather doesn't look old. Any idea how it was found? Stored inside its original box? You would think it would still show drying, or some other aging. Can you show the padding in the interior? In the photo, the little of it that you can see looks like it has some age, but tough to tell in the photo.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 AM
P.hil €lli$

I agree, more photos will help, especially of the inside of the helmet. Photo of the back of the helmet and the chin strap will also be helpful.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I don''t beleive this is a vintage helmet. Look at the grain of the leather it looks synthetic. Stitching too uniform and the edges of the leather spokes look too newly/sharply cut. I say its bogus.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Charlie

I agree. That is not vintage.
I think I have a good knowledge of football helmets & styles.
I have seen pretty much all styles & versions of leather football helmets and have never come across one exactly like this.
It does resemble in some was a few of the very early styles pre 1920 but the quality and condition is recent in my opinion. Looks like the leather hasn't even began to age yet.

I would suggest reaching out to Pasttime Sports- they do a LOT of recreations on the early helmets. You can also reach out to Helmet Hut for their idea's.

Charlie.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Charlie

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Sorry was actually thing of a different style helmet actually worn by Michigan in 1915. Similar except for the front.
The 8 spoke was used but sparingly and well before 1920. Here is an example of a 1910 version of the helmet. If this was indeed genuine (which I think not) it would command a nice price with vintage collectors. This particular style had a VERY short useful life span.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 PM
P.hil €lli$

Here's my spoke helmet from my collection:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (70.5 KB, 194 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
P.hil €lli$

Another Photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmet.jpg (57.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's mine.... a black Reach model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmets 052.jpg (75.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Additional information

I appreciate the information individuals have provided. I am providing additional pictures (front, back, and inside) of the helmet. The helmet came from a good friend of mine (85 years old from Pennsylvania) who has had it for years. It originally came from a hardware store in Philadelphia owned by a man over 80 years old and started by the over 80 year old man's father. Comments were made about the straight cutting of the leather. You will notice the pictures of helmets provided by individuals had very straight cut leather panels also. The helmet I am inquiring about additional information also is made of leather not synthetic material. It is rough on the back side as many pieces of old leather I have seen. The chin strap is shown in some of the pictures (as well as an old shoestring that was attached to it for some odd reason and has not been removed). I did check with the companies that make repo helmets and they felt it was original. Thanks again for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Additional FB Helmet Pics 001.jpg (75.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Additional FB Helmet Pics 002.jpg (79.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Additional FB Helmet Pics 003.jpg (74.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Additional FB Helmet Pics 005.jpg (69.6 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by netennis; 02-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Jonathan

Right up front, I'm not a vintage football helmet expert, but I really do like them and have seen a few in my time. I do have a bit more experience with vintage ball gloves, and sometimes, you do come across "new old stock", even really old, NOS. So, maybe its just possible that that's what we're seeing here. Again, I'll defer to those helmet experts out there and look forward to learning what we've got here after further dialogue.

To my point though, here is a glove that resides in our collection that fits the "new old stock" label even though its 90 years old.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diamond Front.jpg (65.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Diamond Back.jpg (75.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Matt

I still have concerns - I would have to have it in had to change my mind -
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Ricky Anderson

Default Helmet

To me this looks like a repro that has been altered a little bit. I've had a couple of leather football helmets pre 20s and have owned an off brand spoked one (Biddle) before. What gives me the thoughts of it being a repro with possible older parts are: the newness of the leather and stamping, the liner appears to not match up with the spokes (bubbles out a little), the black elastic strap near the front looks similar to an executioner repro I once had. Most older helmets have the similar elastic strap that is on the chin strap of this one up near the visor. The ones near the visors are sometimes thicker than the elastic chin strap, but they look similar in appearance. The chin strap of this one looks old and very similar to the ones Mark and the other poster posted of their own spoked helmets, but the one on the visor looks too new for me.

Just my 2 cents, but there are a few things that just don't seem right. (Bubbling of the leather to the felt, stamping (unknown brand), black elastic strap.

Last edited by rickybulldog50; 02-23-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Charlie

I agree with Matt. It's difficult to tell.
I know I have seen some repro's that looked great, they had the aged leather look and the patina.
Did you check with Helmet Hut? In my opinion, they are one of the top authorities in the area.

Good Luck,

Charlie.