NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default The Return of The Prodigal Cards

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-Rare-POLAR-MBL-Baseball-Card-LOU-BOUDREAU-Cuba_W0QQitemZ190086333692QQihZ009QQcategoryZ60479 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We shouldn't have to wait much longer until we finally get to see the Rube Foster and Buck Leonard!

Yipeeee!!!!!!

For those who weren't around the first time these showed up, do a search on them.

I won't be commenting any further.

-Ryan

Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan

Here we go again....

Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I thought it was funny when I saw the Willie Mays. But Amos Rusie??????????

Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

can someone please explain without me having to do a search?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

There was a lot of controversy several months (maybe a year) ago about whether these were genuine vintage Cuban cards are forgeries. The offered cards were mostly lesser players, plus I think Hoyt Wilhelm and Monte Irvin. Ryan said forgeries, and predicted we would eventually see cards like Mays, Jackie Robinson, Satchel Paige, etc. Mays and Robinson are now on ebay, along withe Amos Rusie. As far as I know, Rusie had no connection to Cuba, and even the most serious Cuban baseball fan in the 1950s probably never heard of Rusie.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

The Rusie connection is VERY CLEAR to me.

Ricky Ricardo was one of the more famous Cubans of the 1950's era.

Every time he would come through the door, he would yell:

" RUSIE... I'M HOME!"

Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

My mistake.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Some of these cards turned up a little over a year ago, accompanied by extensive controversy and debate. Never to be heard of again until this newest ebay auction.

Link to previous discussion - it's worth reading:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1126062773/Cuban+%26quot%3BPolar%26quot%3B+Cards

Ironically, in this thread a defender of the cards, purportedly speaking on behalf of the owner, sarcastically called Ryan a prophet. Looks like he may have been right after all. Early on Ryan said that selling fakes of common players was worth it if you planned to hit the market with the HOF cards later. Well ta-DAH! Here they are. So I guess the prophet comment wasn't that far off.

It's all there in the thread that has it all: controversy, mysterious owners known only as "Mr. O", and some excellent information on Cuban baseball cards.

Joann

Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Excellent one, Hal! That's funny on several levels. A well constructed joke!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

To sum it up in a nut shell here is what took place. One of the first cards to appear was a Jimmie Foxx, which I bought, since Foxx is what i collect. So, to say the hall of famers would come later is incorrect. The controversy began. I then took one to the Minnesota Historical society, and had them look at the photographic process, the paper they were on, and the printing that was on the card itself. Their conclusion was that they were made in the later fifties. I then took it to a paper conservationist, to get her opinion. I spent my own time and money on this. With nothing to gain. Whether they are made in the fifties, or 2005, they are somewhat of an insignificant set, without a lot of upside. I was just trying to help solve the mystery. The self professed experts had made up their minds before they had ever seen one or held one in their hands. I received several personal e mails, a couple of which were very rude. I forget the exact words, but one said something like "I don't know who you are, but you're wasting your time. And besides, you probably don't even know who Burdick is". Odd wasn't it ? Another called me something like a fool. I had only been a forum member for a short time, so I recall thinking, these guys are a bunch of dinks. But I have hung in there, and have met some great people, and obtained some rare cards from some of the members. I recall speaking to the seller at the time, and he was a very nice guy. Oh.... and by the way the forensics folks told me that for a forger to set this all up, with old paper, old presses, and old cameras would probably costa lot more than what the sales would amount to. Again.....I really couldn't care less. But the treatment from some of the members was very rude. If the Foxx I bought turns out to be worth $10.00 thats ok. I really don't give a damn. It was fun talking to he scientists at the Historical Society and seeing their labs.