NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Buckner should have never even STARTED the game and certainly should have been on the bench with that lead, even if McNamara himself had to play 1st base.
Reminds me of this story:

After retiring as a player, the still-popular (Dizzy) Dean was hired as a broadcaster by the perennially cash-poor Browns to drum up some badly needed publicity. After broadcasting several poor pitching performances in a row, he grew frustrated, saying on the air, "Doggone it, I can pitch better than nine out of the ten guys on this staff!" The wives of the Browns pitchers complained, and management, needing to sell tickets somehow, took him up on his offer and had him pitch the last game of the season. At age 37, Dean pitched four innings, allowing no runs, and rapped a single in his only at-bat. Rounding first base, he pulled his hamstring. Returning to the broadcast booth at the end of the game, he said, "I said I can pitch better than nine of the ten guys on the staff, and I can. But I'm done. Talking's my game now, and I'm just glad that muscle I pulled wasn't in my throat."
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Reminds me of this story:

After retiring as a player, the still-popular (Dizzy) Dean was hired as a broadcaster by the perennially cash-poor Browns to drum up some badly needed publicity. After broadcasting several poor pitching performances in a row, he grew frustrated, saying on the air, "Doggone it, I can pitch better than nine out of the ten guys on this staff!" The wives of the Browns pitchers complained, and management, needing to sell tickets somehow, took him up on his offer and had him pitch the last game of the season. At age 37, Dean pitched four innings, allowing no runs, and rapped a single in his only at-bat. Rounding first base, he pulled his hamstring. Returning to the broadcast booth at the end of the game, he said, "I said I can pitch better than nine of the ten guys on the staff, and I can. But I'm done. Talking's my game now, and I'm just glad that muscle I pulled wasn't in my throat."
THAT my friend is a classic !
How about when they asked Ty Cobb what he thought his batting average would be against modern day pitching. he said .300 and the interviewer said ...."Only .300?" and Cobb said

"You've got to remember - I'm seventy-three years old."
Old 07-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
How about when they asked Ty Cobb what he thought his batting average would be against modern day pitching. he said .300 and the interviewer said ...."Only .300?" and Cobb said

"You've got to remember - I'm seventy-three years old."
Hands-down, that's always been my favorite baseball quote.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM

I think you misquoted Ty. I heard it as "I'm seventy-three f#*king years old."

Sounds more like him.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 PM

Default JimStinson

LOL.....Actually this is my favorite Ty Cobb quote

"When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." ...Ty Cobb
Old 07-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

my favorite sports quote of all time, heavyweight boxer jack roper.

"I zigged when I should have zagged."

Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Sometimes all you've got to hold onto is a spelling error.
There's always my wonderful virtual friendships with you enlightened people. Isn't that something?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
my favorite sports quote of all time, heavyweight boxer jack roper.

"I zigged when I should have zagged."

That's right up there.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Poor Buckner , It was not Buckner's fault at all he was playing injured could barely walk actually , and with the lead they had....It was the manager's job to place a defensive sub at first that could at least walk..
Manager blew it not Bill Buckner.
And give the Mets some credit for taking advantage of it and having the tenacity to come back and win , except for Keith Hernandez who was already in the clubhouse drinking a beer and thinking "wait till NEXT year"..
I always have to laugh when I hear people say "poor Buckner" as he was one of the first to criticize Leon Durham for letting a ball go through his legs against the Padres in the 1984 playoffs. For those who don't remember, there was a first baseman controversy in '84 with the Cubs as Leon Durham eventually won the job from Billy Buck who would soon be shipped off to Boston. After Durham booted the ground ball Buckner was quoted as saying that if he was in the game he would have never missed that ball, implying that the Cubs would have been in the series if he was there. Two years later, Buckner was in the same situation and was now the goat for his miscue.

I remember talking to Jay McCracken, then of Upper Deck at the Field of Dreams show in Iowa back in '92 or so and I asked him if Buckner's Upper Deck card from 1990 which showed him fielding his position but you could clearly see the large tarp between his legs was intentional and he looked at me, winked and said, "what do you think".

I think it is time Buckner is let off the hook for this one though.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Agreed, The 1919 Reds & White Sox are almost as popular from a collecting standpoint as the 1927 Yankees but a distant second and/ or 3rd . I think the reason collectors don't obsess so much about the non active players on those teams is because its near impossible just to complete a roster of either of the 1919 teams.

That being said and while it is not debatable the collectability and popularity of the Murderers Row team, the 1927 Yankees MIGHT NOT have been the greatest team ever. Many historians of the game will argue the 1906 Cubs, 1939 Yankees or 1929 Athletics were better teams overall when considering the greatest team of all time. I'd also throw in the 1934 Cardinals, 1986 Mets & 1905 Giants.

As much as I love and collect those great teams (Black Sox, 27 Yankees, 34 Cards, 60 Pirates, 61 Yanks, etc etc), for my money I think the 98 Yankees could give anyone a run for their money. Also, those 70's Reds teams didn't exactly suck either.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
So what would be the ultimate master list for the 1927 Yankees autograph collector? The 25 players who got in a game and the manager and coaches are easy but what about scouts, doctor, etc? And for the record, don't worry, just curious, not attempting to assemble the thing!

I tried finding a 2010 Detroit News article about Don Miller but everything led to a dead link - anyone have a copy of it?

STAFF
Jacob Ruppert - owner
Miller Huggins - manager
Art Fletcher - coach
Charley O'Leary - coach
Eddie Bennett - batboy

CATCHERS
Benny Bengough
Pat Collins
Johnny Grabowski

INFIELDERS
Joe Dugan
Mike Gazella
Lou Gehrig
Mark Koenig
Tony Lazzeri
Ray Morehart
Julie Wera

PITCHERS
Walter Beall
Joe Giard
Waite Hoyt
Don Miller
Wilcy Moore
Herb Pennock
George Pipgras
Dutch Ruether
Bob Shawkey
Urban Shocker
Joe Styborski
Myles Thomas

OUTFIELDERS
Earle Combs
Cedric Durst
Bob Meusel
Ben Paschal
Babe Ruth
All of the players you listed are in the photo below except for Walter Beall (though he is sometimes identified as the player top row far right next to the trainer, that player is actually Joseph Styborski). In addition to those on your list I personally added Exec. Ed Barrow, traveling secretary Mark Roth, Trainer Doc Woods, head scout Paul Krichell, and clubhouse attendant Fred Logan. I limited myself to the players who appeared in a game or are pictured in that photo. I personally didn't feel the need to chase the spring training hopefuls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1927 yankees team photo.jpg (77.7 KB, 393 views)
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM

What about Pete Sheehy? He began his clubhouse career in 1927.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
What about Pete Sheehy? He began his clubhouse career in 1927.
Sheehy definitely has his place in Yankee history. While I wouldn't mind adding his signature to my collection, I didn't think it necessary as part of a 1927 Yankee project. He was actually someone I was on the fence about. I passed on him for two reasons. First, although it marked the begining of his very prominent Yankee career, his role in the clubhouse was likely very limited in 1927. Second, for my 1927 Yankee project the goal was to find all vintage fountain pen signatures. So, I guess the door remains open in the event that a period payroll check should surface.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
... his role in the clubhouse was likely very limited in 1927.
True. But less limited than the roles played by Miller and Styborski!

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Phil Nap

Quote:
True. But less limited than the roles played by Miller and Styborski!
Not sure I agree with that. Miller tossed BP in the World Series. Pete was probably sweeping floors and cleaning toilets. But in the end, for me it wasn't the contributions of Miller and Styborski that led me to include them. It was the fact that they are in the team photo. Had Sheehy ( or for that matter, anyone else) been asked to pose that day he'd be on my list as well.

That's the beauty of collecting. There's no wrong or right answers. Like I said, I find a vintage fountain pen signature of him and my mind is easily changed.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

You're right there is no right or wrong answer on team collecting. A lot of the fun comes from finding people of interest involved with a particular team to collect. I know as I came to the end of my 1960 Pirates collecting, I took a look at their team picture and realized there were a few extra people there. I would normally never collect a traveling secretary, but Bob Rice was there and turned out to be an easy autograph to get. George Sisler was also there as Assistant to the manager, and that was an easy decision to add a HOF'er to the display. Another place I fortunately or unfortunately found was the team yearbook. I found out that Bing Crosby was part owner so I added him (although if it was Joe Blow I probably wouldn't) and also Virgil Trucks was their batting practice pitcher so I added the two no-hit pitcher as well.
At some point though, especially if you're working on a matted display, you have to draw the line or else you'll never complete the project.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Wasn't there a guy that landed on the field in a parachute around the 3rd inning ??? of the 6th game Mets vs Sox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Mike Sergio was the guy who parachuted into Shea.
You can add this to your list of trivia: at the time Michael Sergio landed on the field, Boston was at bat... and the batter at the plate was Bill Buckner.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I just finished a story about Joe Styborski - I first heard about him right here in this thread, so thanks for introducing ,me to him. Here is the link for those who are interested:

Joe Styborski
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 7.26.09 PM.jpg (12.5 KB, 274 views)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I just finished a story about Joe Styborski - I first heard about him right here in this thread, so thanks for introducing ,me to him. Here is the link for those who are interested:

Joe Styborski
Great article. Very nice work.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Back to Don Miller, if anyone still needs him, check out SCP right now.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:06 AM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Great thread to read through...side note I know a collector, whom I have sold my tough 1919 Reds to, that just needs 3 signatures to have the whole team (official team picture) completed...time will tell if he can get those last 3
Old 03-23-2021, 11:58 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Great thread to read through...side note I know a collector, whom I have sold my tough 1919 Reds to, that just needs 3 signatures to have the whole team (official team picture) completed...time will tell if he can get those last 3

Thomas, any idea whom the three 1919 Cincinnati Reds are that the collector needs ?
Old 03-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wow, only 3 left? Very nice indeed.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 04-04-2021, 05:55 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Well, someone snagged the single item, a report card, with (3) Don Miller autographs on it last night in the SCP suction but at a steep price, just over $5K. High bid was around $600 when the extended bidding started and closed at a hammer price over $4K before the 20% premium. Add potential sales tax and shipping and the total is even higher. My guess is the winning buyer will split the (3), keep (1) and try to recoup some of his money by reselling the other (2).
Old 04-04-2021, 07:47 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Very Cool , The guy with the parachute helped to make that one of the most amazing games I'd ever seen. Mike Sergio ! did he ever say what possessed him to do it ?
Weird things always seem to happen whenever the Red Sox or Cubs are involved in playoffs or WS. Don't blame Buckner the "goat" in that Series was John McNamara who completely forgot he was a manager. Buckner should have never even STARTED the game and certainly should have been on the bench with that lead, even if McNamara himself had to play 1st base.
They also had a photo of the pitching staff (came from his estate) that was also signed by Don. Ended up just over $14k.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:57 PM

To bring this back to the "27 Yankees. I have all who appeared in a game, the coaches, Huggins Roth, Doc Woods, and Kritchel. But not Eddie Bennett. Have only ever seen him on team balls--and I'm not about to buy another one of them.
Anybody got a Bennett salary check?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-19-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:45 PM
Phil Nap

Default Bennett

Never saw a Bennett check. I wonder if he was officially on the payroll.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:17 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

I will check (someone probably knows off the top of their head) I think Bennett received World Series shares during his time with the Yankees, dont know about on payroll but probably by 1927 he might have been on payroll as he was an adult by then.

A quick search and I did see that Don Miller "a young college pitcher who joined the team late in the Summer, was voted a half share" of the $5702 full share to the Yankee players.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:29 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Quote:
To bring this back to the "27 Yankees. I have all who appeared in a game, the coaches, Huggins Roth, Doc Woods, and Kritchel. But not Eddie Bennett. Have only ever seen him on team balls--and I'm not about to buy another one of them.
Anybody got a Bennett salary check?
I have images of 6 different Eddie Bennett signed album pages/cuts in my comp folder...one of which I bought from a member on here a few months ago
Old 04-21-2021, 02:55 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

also here's a very cool news story from this month about a head stone being bought for Eddie Bennett https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/n...-cemetery.html