NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Default Turtleguy Satisfied

If you read the posts at this website,Doug Allen has been placed in the same category as a cross between Attila The Hun and Ghengis Khan.I still harbor faith in him regardless and he has kept his promises to me.I talked about this being a nation of 2nd chances ( ala Vick,etc.) and I am about to give Legendary a chance to sell my stuff in the future on consignment.Hit me with the negatives and accuse me of naievet'e but I'm giving them a chance to dump the albatross which is Mastronet from around their necks.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
If you read the posts at this website,Doug Allen has been placed in the same category as a cross between Attila The Hun and Ghengis Khan.I still harbor faith in him regardless and he has kept his promises to me.I talked about this being a nation of 2nd chances ( ala Vick,etc.) and I am about to give Legendary a chance to sell my stuff in the future on consignment.Hit me with the negatives and accuse me of naievet'e but I'm giving them a chance to dump the albatross which is Mastronet from around their necks.
Incredible. Were you even paid yet from your previous consignment? Why not try a go with one of the other houses and see which way you like it better?

Last edited by Matt; 09-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM

Yes Matt,

That's what I was going to ask. If not, seems like a giant leap of faith. But hey, they are turtleguys items to do with as he pleases.

Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice...............................

Mike

Last edited by docpatlv; 09-01-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default the albatross which is Mastronet

Seems to me the President of Mastronet was ... I mean still is ... Doug Allen. Can one be one's own albatross?

EDIT TO ADD Maybe they can pay him with the proceeds from the new consignment?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
but I'm giving them a chance to dump the albatross which is Mastronet from around their necks.
Except that Doug is Mastronet.

Turtle, is your name Frank DiRoberto by any chance?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Lichtman -- slacker.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Yes Matt,

That's what I was going to ask. If not, seems like a giant leap of faith. But hey, they are turtleguys items to do with as he pleases.

Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice...............................

Mike
My presumption is that he was paid because he said on 8/23 that he had spoken to Doug a week earlier and Doug had promised to get him paid. That he now says Doug came through on his promises I assume means he got paid. Nonetheless, it shouldn't be a consignor's responsibility to chase after the auction house with multiple phone calls, and public posts just in order to get money legally owed to hi for 6 months. If I had to go through that I'd consider other options for future dealings.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Matt you are overlooking the "great guy" factor clearly. Being a great guy engenders loyalty.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Matt you are overlooking the "great guy" factor clearly. Being a great guy engenders loyalty.
I spoke to someone else last week who told me he was sending some stuff in to Mastro for their next offering as well. I just don't get it at this point. If you're aware of all the issues, why would you send your stuff there right now? There are so many other options.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I spoke to someone else last week who told me he was sending some stuff in to Mastro for their next offering as well. I just don't get it at this point. If you're aware of all the issues, why would you send your stuff there right now? There are so many other options.
Hypnotism?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Default So, did you get paid?

Please confirm that you've been paid for your previous consignment. There still seems to be some confusion about it.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
R Dixon

Default Ask yourself this

With everything you know, including testimonials from other consignors, articles in the newspaper, etc....how are you going to feel if you still do business with them and then get ripped off?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Joe

For a minute I thought Turtleguy was Doug. It's the perfect screen name. When trouble brews, just duck your head inside your shell and wait till it passes.

Let's put the smiley face in here so everyone knows it's all in fun.

Ooops.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Rich Klein

Default Jeff -- there is something about that

Frank DiRoberto name which is familiar. Can you remind me please?

Thanks
Rich
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Frank DiRoberto? Faaagettaboutit!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Adam M.

Quote:
I am about to give Legendary a chance to sell my stuff in the future on consignment.
Could you please identify, with great specificity (i.e. grades etc.), exactly what you will be giving Legendary to sell for you so we can see if that exact material you identify here in this thread ends up in one of their future auctions? Thanks!

Last edited by Adam; 09-01-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Default By the lack of a response...

I'm guessing that he still hasn't been paid, and is still thinking of consigning.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
David

Terrible Testudine. I don't understand the ballyhoo. Something is fishy and/or very wrong here.

1) If you were paid you were only paid because of public pressure put out by people here. For you to turn around and then consign new material to these guys is tantamount to spitting in the face of everyone here who has supported you. I take offense to that stupidity. Its disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself.

2) If you weren't paid and you still are consigning new material to these guys then you are the biggest fool on this forum and you don't deserve to be paid a dime.

Either way, the message you send by these actions is disgraceful and your tomfoolery should be rewarded with a tea bag.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 09-01-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Al

Quote:
your tomfoolery should be rewarded with a tea bag.
I'm sorry to butt in, I just need to repeat the above quote. It's the funniest thing I've ever read.

Thanks, David.

-Al
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
I'm sorry to butt in, I just need to repeat the above quote. It's the funniest thing I've ever read.

Thanks, David.

-Al
Yeah, I have to say that this line made me laugh as well. Not quite on the level of 'is that your face or did you neck throw up/Judge Smails' lines (honestly I'm still laughing at that) but certainly hilarious (if even unintended).
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Richard Simon

Would turtle guy have been intimidated into stating that he has been paid?? When in fact, maybe, he has not been paid.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Would turtle guy have been intimidated into stating that he has been paid?? When in fact, maybe, he has not been paid.
Truth is, I don't think it matters; the guy seems to be reckless with his finances and whatever happens to him with regards to his relationship with Mastro/Legendary here on out is deserved.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Chris Stufflestreet

You know what? It's his money. If he isn't bound and determined to get it back, it's not the business of anybody here to change his mind.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Richard Simon

Turtle - Jeff has asked you a very clear question,,, have you been paid?
We are still awaiting your answer. The oath you took at the start of this mess is still in place. Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStufflestreet View Post
You know what? It's his money. If he isn't bound and determined to get it back, it's not the business of anybody here to change his mind.
Yes, it is his money, but he made it a public issue, by bringing it to this board. So he made it the public's business.
--
Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Yes, it is his money, but he made it a public issue, by bringing it to this board. So he made it the public's business.
Bingo. Still trying to understand why he did make it public.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My take is that this whole story is a fantasy. No one could be this stupid.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Default I'm beginning to think so as well

By the lack of straight answers to simple questions and the creation of this thread to draw attention, I think he's just taking us all for a ride. Has anyone had any dealings with this person, either on the new board or the old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
My take is that this whole story is a fantasy. No one could be this stupid.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not me but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
By the lack of straight answers to simple questions and the creation of this thread to draw attention, I think he's just taking us all for a ride. Has anyone had any dealings with this person, either on the new board or the old one?
I can verify he is a real person. From all I have seen, read and know I think he is telling the truth. Odd, but that is my take....
Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

No anonymity on the board, right? So who is he? I suspect if we had a name and he was either never owed money or already paid, Doug would pick up the batphone and call Leon to clear his name.

Forman owed 200K to Mastro and could not pay so what did they do? Of course they lent him even more money. That is what everyone does in that instance. So maybe Turtle learned something from the way Mastro does business?????
Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
No anonymity on the board, right? So who is he? I suspect if we had a name and he was either never owed money or already paid, Doug would pick up the batphone and call Leon to clear his name.

Forman owed 200K to Mastro and could not pay so what did they do? Of course they lent him even more money. That is what everyone does in that instance. So maybe Turtle learned something from the way Mastro does business?????
We have discussed anonymity on the board before. You are correct there is no anonymity as everyone that posts has to send me their contact info. I have turtleguy's info. If you want to email me Greg, I will give you his name, but I don't see any extraordinary reason, as of now, to put his full name out here in public and would appreciate you not doing it if I send it to you. I don't see him fighting or arguing with people. I don't think he's a shill for Legendary/Doug either. I have some other private information that leads me to that thinking too....I too find it strange that someone hasn't gotten paid but yet is allegedly consigning more items. But hey, it's America.....regards
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

For all the doubters,I have gotten my payment.It took 6 months but it is in my hands.Doug Allen said that he was trying to to get all consignors paid.The process will take awhile.I think that he is making the effort to close up all those open accounts.No,I don't work for Doug Allen.Over the years ,I consigned or had other collectors consign to Mastronet thousands in items.He did well by me and them and I did well also.I decided not to use threats or lawyers or the FBI.In the end the turtle wins the race,as it's said.Bottomline,we all know that making good on those overdue payments is the key to Legendary's success.There is no escaping that fact and that is just my opinion.Only then will Mastronet be a memory to all of us.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
.Bottomline,we all know that making good on those overdue payments is the key to Legendary's success.There is no escaping that fact and that is just my opinion.
I seem to remember some other issues with Mastro that were causing some problems...
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Check my post on the last page today.This may sound odd to all of you but I am tied up doing turtle rehab and it is NOT easy.I've got two I am nursing back to health.Try giving meds to a turtle that will not open it's mouth and weighs 20 lbs.People tell me that I should have been a veterinarian.
I hope that new post clears the air.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Let's hope one day we all ask "Bill who?"
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Matt Wieder

"It's not a shell game where we said, 'Let's close this company and start a new one,' " Allen said. "It's not that."
Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

My name is and always has been David Schulman.I didn't know not posting my name would become a tempest in a teapot.I am real and breathing,I sell and buy as a collector,not a dealer on ebay.I treat people with respect and expect the same in return.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Actually,I have held back on consigning to Legendary until the Mastonet payment came through.I have rules also and being stupid is not one of them.I am building up a consignment for them but that check had to get into my hands first.
I notice not many people take issue with the Dave Forman aspect of this case.I thought that this was the main crux of the problem with people getting paid? Once lawyers get involved,all stops.If that could be settled ,we are probably not blowing off steam about all the non-payment issues.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ironically....turtle day

Ironically a new member signed up today and we got on the subject of animals...as his login is one of his dear dogs that he had to put down after a long bout with cancer. I told him I am an animal lover ...and I am the one he would see stopping his car in the middle of a highway to rescue a turtle and almost causing wrecks doing so. He then told me that he has saved 32 turtles and his wife gets onto him all of the time about it. My next door neighbor showed me a baby box turtle yesterday, that they have raised and hatched. He is about 2 inches and just the cutest thing. Turtles are cool.....I hope it's ok to talk about turtles since we are talking to "turtleguy".....I think it's better than some other recent threads .
Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Barry Sloate

David- given what you have just been put through, along with the fact that there are so many auction houses out there to consign to, it does strike us that you are making an odd choice. Since you've gone public with this issue, care to explain your reasons for giving them more material (you of course don't have to). Thank you.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
David

Turtle, you forget something! You, in the minimum, increased your chances of getting paid by making your story public and garnering support from those here to publicly speak out in support of you. I doubt you would have had the success you have had in getting paid without the help of others here putting pressure on Doug Allen by continuing to keep this issue on the table, FOR YOU!!!

In my opinion you would have gotten no where in your quest for green without those on this forum and you should recognize that before you go touting what a great guy Legendary is. You should recognize that had you not had help here you probably would never have even gotten enough money out of Doug Allen to buy apples for your amniotes.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 09-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
I notice not many people take issue with the Dave Forman aspect of this case.I thought that this was the main crux of the problem with people getting paid?
David,

Welcome to the board (belatedly). You will find that most people on this board will treat everyone with respect, but, the truth is, the board is a microcosm of the world in general.

I think your take that Forman is the crux of the case is overly simplistic. His failure to pay should not have impacted you, unless he was the winning bidder on one of your lots. We don't know that. The fact is that Mastro shipped merchandise to bidders prior to securing payment. That poor business practice is the crux of their problem. Had they held the lots, his non-payment would not be as big an issue. Mastro and those consignors could simply decide to sell to the underbidders, or re-auction at a later date. They no longer have that choice.

Instead, Mastro ended up with no payment, no merchandise, and no options.

Forman may end up being involved in a lawsuit with Legendary (if they decide to serve him with the suit) but Mastro's, and now Legendary's, problems go much deeper.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Bless you ,Leon,and anyone else who takes a minute and maybe at personal risk,would save a living thing off the road.I do this on almost a weekly basis.It's uncanny how I just happen by when a turtle is about to enter rush hour traffic.Wish everyone would do the same.Each turtle saved means maybe hundreds more get life down the line.Yes, it is a break talking about this subject and not getting po'ed at recent posts.Life is more important than bickering about $.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Well,then ,Mastronet was guilty of trust in others and that really screwed up the whole deal.
Thanks for clearing up that Dave Forman aspect of the auction payment problem.
I hope we are not talking about this a year from now.Or even six months from now.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
I hope we are not talking about this a year from now.Or even six months from now.
Unless the FBI closes their investigation by then, I'm pretty sure this isn't going away that quickly.
Da.vid Schu.lman

I'm on this board because I heard that it can help with the non-payment.And I'm grateful for it.So here is a big belated thank you to anyone who helped make things right.
Barry Sloate

We see box turtles pretty often on Eastern Long Island. I am always amazed when I see them crossing a busy highway- don't they know any better? But I also feel that given the reckless way people drive out there, I could be giving up my own life to save the turtle's. So it's often a difficult decision.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

I watched the Legendary auction results ,figuring that interest in their stuff would be minimum.However ,maybe I'm wrong,but it seemed that people are still willing to pay good prices for the better stuff.There was more schlock than I'm used to seeing but it's not the highrolling Mastronet anymore.It is Legendary.They look like they will be a viable entity a year from now so that is why I am considering consigning in the near future.I could go the ebay route but have you seen the depressed prices there recently?I may also consider Heritage.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Barry,those Long Island box turtles are now endangered(I think) as are the New Jersey ones.I've risked my life a few times but I'm not obsessed with getting myself killed.That's because I think every living thing has value.
Here's a heads up:those turtles cross to lay eggs if it's late spring.They never forget where they were born and head back to that place to lay eggs.The highway you are driving on was probably once a body of water and they ,like I said,never forget their roots.
Hey,this is way better than talking about money and getting cheated out of consignment money.!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Barry Sloate

David- we don't see the turtles too often, it's kind of special when one is crossing our lawn. So I imagine they are already disappearing. I have on occasion picked one up from the middle of the road and brought it over to the side, but like you said, if he is on a mission he may take the same path back. It is marshy out there with a lot of wetlands, and a few freshwater ponds. We are overrun with deer- I wonder if that affects the turtles at all.