NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Default Mickey Mantle baseball, any reason to think this is a fake?

Good or not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0695.jpg (70.4 KB, 387 views)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Ben North

Flipped the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantleball.jpg (55.6 KB, 376 views)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Brandon V.

I don't like a few things with that autograph.

I'm also not an expert.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Such as?
Old 10-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

That's a perfect authentic Mantle ball
Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I'm not an expert but I also think it's good
Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM

You know, I'm gonna piss a bunch of people off with this post, but what the hell...
I don't understand all the "I'm not an expert, but I think..." posts.
Why?
Basically, they say "I don't know what the fu*k I'm talking about, so what I'm adding to the conversation really has little or no value."
If you don't feel your opinion is more educated than most, there's no point in posting.
Trying to determine authenticity is not a popularity contest amongst the "hoi polloi." It does not come down to the number of votes.

People post here, particularly, because they're looking for expert advice or opinion.
Otherwise, they might as well just set up a poll.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 10-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

David, you may piss people off but you are right. I have an opinion but will keep it to myself if I don't know for sure.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Authentic
Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Brandon V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladge34 View Post
Such as?
The No. 7 inscription seems a little forced compared to UDA examples.

General consensus indicates here I'm wrong, but an opinion is an opinion.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Okay Dave I'll go out on the limb it's real
Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Scott

Authentic IMO
Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

The ball was authenticated by UDA, and has a jsa letter. Was just curious to see what everyone had to say, thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
The ball was authenticated by UDA, and has a jsa letter. Was just curious to see what everyone had to say, thanks
Seriously?

Have more respect for peoples' time and effort.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 10-19-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Seriously?

+1

That's exactly why I didn't opine.

I already knew what the OP was doing.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Really?????????
Ok, maybe if it has a TPA letter and you are not fond of TPA's we can see you asking a question. But a UDA ball with a JSA?? W.O.T.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
You know, I'm gonna piss a bunch of people off with this post, but what the hell...
I don't understand all the "I'm not an expert, but I think..." posts.
Why?
Basically, they say "I don't know what the fu*k I'm talking about, so what I'm adding to the conversation really has little or no value."
If you don't feel your opinion is more educated than most, there's no point in posting.
Trying to determine authenticity is not a popularity contest amongst the "hoi polloi." It does not come down to the number of votes.

People post here, particularly, because they're looking for expert advice or opinion.
Otherwise, they might as well just set up a poll.
thanks for posting what i bet many people think
Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Not too sure why everyone got upset. As everyone knows, unless you see a ball signed in person, you'll never really know if it's real or not. You can get respectable opinions, but there's always a chance people's opinion's are wrong. I think the more, the merrier. I posted that ball over a year ago, and was very thankful for all the input. I did my research and realized most of you guys on here are as good, if not better than the big 3. I reposted the ball because of one of the earlier threads about a Mantle ball that did not get authenticated by jsa, even tho people on here gave it the thumbs up. The picture may have been blurry, but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here. So to see the ball get rejected by jsa, then people say it's bad, kind of made me think again maybe my ball isn't real. If you think I wasted your time, sorry. But I thought this site was about talking baseball autographs, pretty sure I was within the topic...
Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Mickey Mantle baseball, any reason to think this is a fake?

Quote:
Not too sure why everyone got upset. As everyone knows, unless you see a ball signed in person, you'll never really know if it's real or not. You can get respectable opinions, but there's always a chance people's opinion's are wrong. I think the more, the merrier. I posted that ball over a year ago, and was very thankful for all the input. I did my research and realized most of you guys on here are as good, if not better than the big 3. I reposted the ball because of one of the earlier threads about a Mantle ball that did not get authenticated by jsa, even tho people on here gave it the thumbs up. The picture may have been blurry, but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here. So to see the ball get rejected by jsa, then people say it's bad, kind of made me think again maybe my ball isn't real. If you think I wasted your time, sorry. But I thought this site was about talking baseball autographs, pretty sure I was within the topic...

But as Richard mentioned UDA is much different than JSA...I’m not annoyed because I didn’t contribute, but I can see why others are.

Also, I agree with what was said earlier about withholding if you’re not an expert. I’m not. On anything. So I just browse

Although I agreed that the inscription does look kind of different than others I’ve seen. Does your UDA cert mention the # 7 or just the sig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mattjc1983; 10-19-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Brendan Mullen

....but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here.

It's just bad etiquette in this forum to hide or withdraw information (such as already having a cert/already been rejected/etc. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's how it is here.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Default Marc szilezy

If someone can answer this it'd be great. So everyone can agree that mistakes happen. The big 3 get things wrong, users on here get stuff wrong. At the end of the day it's an opinion. Does it really matter that I had authentication before I posted? It might have if people said it was bad, it's almost like the people on here work for them and don't want to be contradicted. Chris Williams, you claimed 2 years ago that a Mantle ball was real. In the "jsa came to town" thread, all of a sudden it switched because jsa failed it. Chris wasn't the only one, but as highly respected opionions on here, most failed on that thread. This section is an autograph forum, looking for opionions. Just because you get a piece of paper with your autograph does not mean that it's real, anyone with a printer and any bit of artistic ability to make a coa. Upper deck authenticated it almost 2 years ago, close to 30 years after the ball was on sale by upper deck. And yes the no.7 is authenticated by uda and jsa. But at the end of the day it's just a piece of paper. According to the posts above, I should just believe any sort of coa because it says Uda and jsa. You guys taught me better than that, hence why I posted the ball, looking for reassurance
Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
....but enough people said it was good, espicially some of the really good guys on here.

It's just bad etiquette in this forum to hide or withdraw information (such as already having a cert/already been rejected/etc. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's how it is here.
Read the "jsa came to town" thread. Tell me how many of those "really good guys" got it wrong?
Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

And yes, if I would have said right away that jsa and Uda authenticated it, it would cloud people's judgement. I left it unsaid to get people's honest opionion.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Read the "jsa came to town" thread. Tell me how many of those "really good guys" got it wrong?
The first photo of the ball that some people gave the thumbs up was a fuzzy photo from a distance. (In all candor, they should not have offered an opinion on such a poor quality photo.) The second photo was a sharp closeup that clearly showed issues not visible on the first photo.

NO ONE just "changed their mind" just because of the JSA opinion.

Stop spreading fake news.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 10-20-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
And yes, if I would have said right away that jsa and Uda authenticated it, it would cloud people's judgement. I left it unsaid to get people's honest opionion.
UDA did not "authenticate" it. UDA are all first hand witnessed signatures from supervised signings.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

I contacted Uda, sent them photos and they put it in there data base. Your right, they should not have commented on a fuzzy photo... but at the end of the day, they were wrong!!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Fake news??? Please... I can read, I saw plenty of thumbs up, then thumbs down. Same ball, two different outcomes.... fake would mean that I made that up, pretty sure you can read too
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Fake news??? Please... I can read, I saw plenty of thumbs up, then thumbs down. Same ball, two different outcomes.... fake would mean that I made that up, pretty sure you can read too
I can see all aspects of this discussion. However, if as some of the authenticators do, the UDA process is an in-person signing only LOA, then this exercise does seem a bit futile. It is kind of like saying "I got this autograph in person (myself), do you think it's real?"

Last edited by Leon; 10-20-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Uda saw the ball thru an email, and still accepted it. It's not like I bought it from uda
Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Fake news means distorting and spinning, which you are. People reached different opinions because a much better photo became available, not because they are slavishly following the JSA opinion as you imply.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

And the jsa letter came with the ball...
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I thought UDA always stickered the ball?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Quote:
Fake news means distorting and spinning, which you are. People reached different opinions because a much better photo became available, not because they are slavishly following the JSA opinion as you imply.

I never implied, your just upset I asked for opionions on a ball that had certs, never of which I got in person, so to ask for more help is reasonable. Your fake news suggestion is ridicuous!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Stickers can be printed... easy as that....
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

I also want to make this very clear, I'm not here to upset anyone or piss people off. I come to this site because I Do respect a lot of opinions on here. I think some of you guys are better than having a coa. I especially want to apologize for singling out Chris before, a lot of other guys commented giving the thumbs up, I used Chris because in my honest opinion, I hold him to a higher standard, along with a few others in here, he's one of the best. Any day of the week I would trust him with a jeter over jsa or psa. He's done amazing work helping with forgeries. So if your reading this thread, I'm sorry for singling you out. I get that the pictures are different, it just scared me that some of the best guys on here were off because of the picture. I reposted for the sole purpose of getting more opinions, that's why I left that out to start. I'm not an expert, was by far the most expensive ball I bought, I don't think I'm wrong with getting as many opinions as I can. I know you guys will say differently, but for me it's just comforting.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Stickers can be printed... easy as that....
The Upper Deck is a patented hologram, can't just be "printed".
Old 10-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
I never implied, your just upset I asked for opionions on a ball that had certs, never of which I got in person, so to ask for more help is reasonable. Your fake news suggestion is ridicuous!
Wrong. More fake news from you. I couldn't care less if people ask about an item that is already certed.

I'm irritated because you threw dirt on Chris Williams, one of the finest and most selfless people in the hobby. You can't begin to imagine the garbage he has endured because he's had the guts to go after lowlife criminals.

He has offered THOUSANDS of correct opinions here and elsewhere with an extremely high accuracy rate. Yet, if he makes a rare misstep, someone will crawl out of the woodwork to highlight it. That person is you.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Quote:
Seriously?

Maybe you should read the thread again, that was your post before I said anything about Chris. That was you, upset that I asked for opinions after I already had certs. Not sure why your attacking me, I clearly posted about Chris in this thread and how much respect I have for his opinion. Your just a hater, plain and simple. The threads first question was asking for peoples opinions about the ball, not people's opinions on anything else
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

I'm very grateful for Chris being here. He helped me buy my first jeter autograph. I don't think there's a better person to help you with. Thanks again Chris, and sorry for using your name before
Old 10-21-2017, 02:03 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
...Your just a hater, plain and simple....
Dude, seriously... learn the difference between "Your" and "You're", especially when you're calling someone out. You've done this at least twice in this thread, and I'm not really looking; it just stands out.

It doesn't seem like you're on here to build your credibility...
Old 10-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Sorry for the poor grammar. All I wanted was people's opinions on the ball I posted, which I got. Can someone please explain why it is rude to with hold info about the ball? The original question was asking what people thought about the autograph, not anything else. Not sure what difference it makes that I had coa's?? Aren't you guys looking at only the autograph? Doesn't make sense that you guys would need to know about the coa. It's just a piece of paper. I wanted you guys to only look at the autograph, nothing else matters to me
Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 AM

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I think what they are getting at is that you had a coa that you felt relatively comfortable with and you presented the ball as one that you no knowledge of the authenticity. They presented their opinions under a false pretense. I can understand why some may have an issue with that. The only way a site like this works is if we act as a community.

Last edited by johnmh71; 10-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Good or not
Quote:
Such as?
I haven't read this whole thread, but you asked a simple question, "Good or Not" and I believe you received your answer?

Asking for details and expecting the experts to tell you exactly what is wrong with it is another thing. No one on here likely knows you, or knows you very well, so why would they divulge information that would only assist forgers/scammers to fine tune their work?