NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Default Future of the Hobby/ Responses needed

Hello everyone.
I am finishing up a book about collecting cards (50-80's topps) with my late father. I wanted to close the book by talking about the future of our great hobby. I am looking for opinions, quotes, stats, etc.
It seems as if every show I go to all of the dealers are old men. I know a lot of us use the net now but what do you think is the future for card collecting?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Rich Klein

Default Better than you think

The hobby is evolving but as you mentioned many of the interpersonal relationships (show, stores) are disappearing and yes when you got a normal show or a store, many of the dealers will be older men who are used to that millieu.

However, look at a site such as Net 54, we skew older than most baseball card hobby web sites yet we are younger then what you describe and other sites (such as Blowout cards or freedom card board) are much younger. If you look at Twitter, Facebook, or other social media sites, the average skews younger and when I set up at the local Dallas area show in July, a young man was telling me about a network used by even younger collectors.

The pros, we will still have a hobby

The cons, many of the things we grew up with including base cards being important. have gone away -- I think there is still a great deal of power in seeing cards of more than just the top 100 but thiat is just me.

I write about this topic fairly frequently in my Sports Collectors Daily column so please feel free to read and quote what is needed with proper citation

Rich
Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Thank you Rich. I enjoy and look forward to your facebook posts!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM
$teve O.

It seems cards in those years('50's-'80's) are still popular.It also seems some younger people are collecting those years.
There are always ups and downs,but I think its pretty strong.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM
David Pierson
Banned

In my opinion the hobby is already dead, it just hasn't fallen down yet.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I am 40. I can remember 20 or 25 years ago having at least 5 brick and mortar card shops to go to, and the area I live in is not large. Looking back, these shops had a pretty good selection. The Internet (especially eBay) began to change everything in the second half of the 90s. Shops folded up, and even a lot of dealers who had their own websites went to eBay....this seems to have lightened up in the last few years. Guys who had shops sold out of their houses and on eBay. I now have access to one shop which is about 60 miles from my house. It is worth the drive. I don't care how extensive an on line inventory a dealer has, there is NO substitute for looking at and handling vintage cards in person. This includes commons and not just stars. Until computer and iPad screens give one the ability to smell the cardboard and musty surroundings of a real card shop, the experience on line will be cheaper. The shop I go to is owned by a gentleman in his early 70s. He is great and fair-minded and usually has good inventory. We all have lots of good conversation about the hobby. He has quality auctions every Tuesday night, too. He won't be around forever. When he's gone, I am not sure what I will do. I will always collect, but it won't be as good without that shop.

It's painting with a broad brush I know, but most of the "collectors" I know who are close to my age are really investment guys. Some of them know it, some don't. For them, on line works fine. Everything they buy is or will soon be in a plastic holder and sold the second a profit can be made, unless of course they are registry hounds. For me, there is something nostalgic, even romantic about 50s baseball cards. Our country grew up alongside baseball. I never even saw the guys I collect play, but they are larger than life heroes to me. I read about them, I watch documentaries about them, and I collect their cards. I guess that's how I see it. Thanks for asking, and best of luck with your book.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

If stamps are still a hobby and hold their value, baseballcards are a long way from a dead hobby.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From my perspective the hobby grew exponentially (by leaps and bounds) with the advent of the internet. Now we can collaborate in seconds what used to take days, weeks and months. So if you have 10000 disparate collectors then that is one thing. However, if you have 5000 collectors that all collect together, then you have a much bigger and stronger hobby. I believe that is the best thing the internet has done for us. Most of us wouldn't have the collections we do today without the internet. I have quite often thought about this subject and I think it makes sense. That being said, I still love shows, especially the National. There is nothing like getting together every year with hundreds of my friends to hoot and holler.

Last edited by Leon; 11-06-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

For what little it's worth, I think the hobby is in serious trouble. I think it will always exist in some form or another, because there will always be baseball fans, history fans, or folks who do things because their fathers did them and their fathers before. I would argue that a lot of this trouble can be placed squarely at the feet of both MLB and of the card manufacturers.

I collected primarily in the mid-80's-mid 90's, and was around for the transition from the older, simpler style sets (focus is the base set, there are some inserts and/or accessory sets to collect) to the newer model (who cares about the base set, everything is focused on chasing the inserts, 1/1 cards and parallel sets.) That approach, combined with the strike and the increased focus on cards as an investment instead of cards as simple fun has devestated our hobby, at least as it relates to kids.

Kids shouldn't have to worry about investments, value growth, condition, population reports and the other vagaries of our hobby that they now do. Collecting your favorite team, your favorite player, getting that small handful of packs from the corner store and hoping against all hope that they hold that one last card you need for your set- those should be the focus of a child.

I'm one who was not bothered at all by overproduction. The classic cited examples are 1988-1989 Topps and Donruss. You can still buy cases of those cards for less than they sold at wholesale when they were produced, and that is 24-25 years after the fact! Someone who wants a nice example of their favorite player's rookie card, if that player rookied in those years, can still get it for less than a buck. Collecting those sets is simple fun, and the focus is on the players, the cards, and the experience- not on the return on investment. I agree that it got rediculous, but I remember well searching through huge piles of those packs at Kmart, Target, Skaggs and Safeway, looking for Kevin Seitzer on the top of a blister pack, or Tom Glavine on the top of a Score wax pack, or for Sam Horn smiling from a rack pack. It was just fun. And because of the overproduction, mom bought those packs at a quarter each.

Cards are way too expensive. I understand economics, and that they aren't going to be 25 cents forever. But imagine a return to a product that focuses on a base set, with the occasional inserts. And those inserts aren't limited editions, or relic cards, or parallel sets- they are deckle edges, or stamps, or coins, or a game, or a glossy all-star set. Imagine 50 cent packs of 5 cards each, or 1 dollar packs with 10-12; imagine a rack pack where you could see the stars in all their glory peeking through the cellophane. What in the world is wrong with that?

Topps' monopoly did bring some semblance of order to a situation that had grown out of control. But like most sitautions, monopolies often aren't a good thing. It could be that a card company or product like I outlined above wouldn't find a market, because there wouldn't be the chance of finding the $500 card or the 1/1 relic card; it could be that it would be an absolute flop. But the way Topps has approached things, relic cards have lost their luster; parallel sets aren't anything unique; and the way they are chewing through their old sets and the tobacco-era products, it is only a matter of time before you see a Topps Archives set with everyone in the "historic 1998 design."

I keep boxes of packs from the mid-80's around to open when I need a fix, just because it is fun. I have a box of 1986 Topps sitting about 5 feet away from me as I sit here typing this, just waiting for me to have a bad moment at work that only baseball cards can fix. And isn't that sad? Why don't I have a box of 2013 Topps? Quite simply, because it is expensive and not much fun. My kids have had fun opening packs of mid-80's Topps; I'm not sure that I'll bother with the new stuff.

Kids should be able to go to a ballpark, or to their local store, and spend a reasonable amount of money (maybe the amount it takes to buy a coke in a vending machine) to get a pack of cards. Those cards should be well-designed, with a reasonable hope for the kids of completing a set. They should maybe even have some bubble gum included. If the hobby can't figure out a way to get kids involved, on a mass level, I believe that we will continue to watch a long, slow decline of folks interested in collecting baseball cards. They will get older and greyer (granted with higher disposable incomes) but without the simple joy of a kid opening his first pack of cards. As that happens, I think the card companies will continue to produce cards, but they will increasingly become a specialty thing not available on a regular basis. I remember when almost every grocery, drug, hardware and toy store had boxes of packs available. Made it fun for me (and expensive for mom.) And at the end of the day, isn't that the point?

kevin
Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
pete ullman

Those with a vested interest in the hobby are optimistic about it's future...those that are realists and are not heavily vested/invested in the hobby know it's in trouble and the future looks grim.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Those with a vested interest in the hobby are optimistic about it's future...those that are realists and are not heavily vested/invested in the hobby know it's in trouble and the future looks grim.
then why are there more and more Auction Houses Popping up and why are the established AHs setting record realized prices....and don't say because of shill bidding!

the ease of collecting and looking for cards via the internet has made it easier for people to join the hobby, making up for those that pass....
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Glyn Parson

Default i have been hearing of the hobby's demise

ever since i started selling in 1990, began collecting at age 7 in 1979. good stuff just keeps getting more expensive. It (the hobby) will always be here but never as hot as the late 1980's early 1990's but its solid.Or the massive price upticks grading brought. For the record I am 41 and know a lot of people my age and younger that are collectors.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Henry Nich.ols

Went to the shriners show this weekend and then went to a coin show same weekend. The coin show had more people in 1 isle then the whole total of the card show.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Dave_Berg

Stamp collecting is dead, they've nearly completely lost their value. Go to a stamp show and there is no one there that wasn't there in 1975. I agree coins are very hot and going strong. Sports cards....I'm not sure if future generations will have the same interest in vintage cards outside the Cobbs, Ruths, Mantles etc...we'll see
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
ever since i started selling in 1990, began collecting at age 7 in 1979. good stuff just keeps getting more expensive. It (the hobby) will always be here but never as hot as the late 1980's early 1990's but its solid.Or the massive price upticks grading brought. For the record I am 41 and know a lot of people my age and younger that are collectors.
I actually feel it's "foundation" is more solid than in the early 1990's. What happened then was a lot of non-collectors who got into what was the hype. I worked two LCS from 1983-1990 and saw many jump into the hype more as hoarders than collectors. Much of the throng at the '91 National was not roaming the floors filling holes in their collection but standing in promo lines. As I see it, some of that has morphed into the current "prospectors" and "flippers" who don't really have collections but just casually buy, sell, and hold and often can't really talk sports other than who's hot in cards and might be the next _______ (Strasburg/Trout/Harper/Puig/Abreau). I don't see this as bad for the hobby, just another part of it, and actually good as some will turn into long term collectors. It also seems that many who left when the hobby in the 90's are re-discovering what they enjoyed about then, myself included.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Default JimStinson

In five years (or less) you MIGHT ....be able to trade the best card or autograph collection in the World for a bowl of hot soup a cup of coffee and a loaf of bread

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
In five years (or less) you MIGHT ....be able to trade the best card or autograph collection in the World for a bowl of hot soup a cup of coffee and a loaf of bread

stinsonsports.com
I take it you're not buying
Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Kids don't really buy baseball cards anymore, and few attend games or play on a regular basis. Baseball as the national sport is dying, and that does not bode well for the future of the hobby.

There will always be people collecting baseball cards, and vintage cards should certainly remain popular. But the collecting community is shrinking, and the rapid growth we witnessed in the 1980's and 90's was a one time phenomenon. We won't ever see that again. The hobby will survive despite it, but it will be smaller. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Many collectors were turned off by the frenetic pace and rapidly escalating prices, and would much prefer a more relaxed environment. It is what it is.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
If stamps are still a hobby and hold their value, baseballcards are a long way from a dead hobby.
Love your logo, Brent. My dad was in the Army Air Corps during the war, and I always loved that beautiful and classic logo on his uniforms in the closet. Unfortunately, Mom threw them all out when he died. I wished she had called me.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
pete ullman

I echo most of what Barry said...the majority of kids aren't playing baseball...they're not watching baseball...they're not into collecting things...also...the blue chip cards...the ruths...the cobbs will continue to be popular...to a point. But more importantly is determining what kind of time line we're talking about here. I envision if I live to be in my 70's-80's...the hobby will be much much smaller than it is now...and while the ruths and cobbs will still command decent coin...the commons will be shit!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:58 PM

For me, I will never drop this hobby. I love vintage baseball cards and I hope future generations to come do as well. I am 16 now, and will be 17 in less than two months. I've been collecting vintage for 4 years now, it was the best decision I ever made. I just feel that people need to spread the news about vintage. Nobody I know collects vintage, let alone baseball cards themselves. It's a great hobby and I hope to see an increase of collectors.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
In my opinion the hobby is already dead, it just hasn't fallen down yet.
^^^This

When I started collecting in the mid 80s, I remember there was a card show at one hotel or another (in Houston) just about every weekend. By the end of the decade, there were so many shows every weekend, you would have to pick which ones you wanted to attend because there was no way you would have time to hit them all. Same thing with shops. During that same time, there were dozens and dozens of card shops in Houston. Only two (that I know of) survived. I think those two factors say a lot about the state of the hobby.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Scott

Quote:

.com

so you are gonna dump your collection soon?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
^^^This

When I started collecting in the mid 80s, I remember there was a card show at one hotel or another (in Houston) just about every weekend. By the end of the decade, there were so many shows every weekend, you would have to pick which ones you wanted to attend because there was no way you would have time to hit them all. Same thing with shops. During that same time, there were dozens and dozens of card shops in Houston. Only two (that I know of) survived. I think those two factors say a lot about the state of the hobby.
Local card shows are dead. That doesn't mean the hobby is dead.

Now we have Ebay, big auction houses, little mom-and-pop auction houses, and the B/S/T section.

I do think baseball card collecting in general is losing popularity, and has for quite some time.

But I won't believe the hobby is dead, or anywhere near dying, when all the cards I want cost $1K plus because demand is high.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
^^^This

Every day is a card show. The internet killed the "radio star". I'd wager that there are more transactions per day now than ever. What IS lost is the face-to face interaction but the cards are still traveling.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I take it you're not buying
I'm buying stronger than I've ever bought (which tells me something) and selling too , but I'm also a realist. When I started collecting NO ONE speculated as to value and future. Ty Cobb checks were $35.00 , Babe Ruth Autographs were $50.00 (if you were lucky) then it grew from there and the "investors" entered the hobby ....I'm an autograph dealer and in the last few years for the first time EVER I have seen some prices come DOWN. Some have gone up yes but overall stable , the question was ...for the future , and since most of the hard core baseball fans that breathed the sport are approaching the autumn of their years (including me) and most new sports fans could care less unless its to buy something and "flip it" for a profit the eventual crash seems inevitable ...combine that with the fact that most American's are struggling to pay their bills .......tells me the first major downturn WHICH WILL happen , we'll see most of the major players invent a new investment strategy.

Or worst case ...if you listen to the news and look at the National debt might force most collectors to trade those precious collectibles for a roof over their heads and a warm place to sleep. Its reality

Selling vintage autographs
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:

stinsonsports.com
Jesus, Jim, I guess I'd better start watching Doomsday Preppers! There's actually a report practically every day on the state of the hobby, and that's the prices realized in auctions and on eBay. I haven't noticed much softening, even during the economic disruptions of the past several years, but perhaps the generational turnover/bailout everybody's been predicting for the last 15 years is just around the corner. I do remember in the early 80s when there was a lot of talk about the "bubble" in hobby prices, but those who stayed in did very well, indeed. For those who "collect what you like," a downturn would be a welcome respite from the constant inflation of the past and would provide a floor. Under Jim's scenario, however, all bets are off, but then we'd all have much more to worry about than our collections. My advice would be, "steady on the tiller."
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
so you are gonna dump your collection soon?
I sold the majority of my personal collection , which was probably one of the best 19th century and dead ball era autograph collections in the country over 20 years ago

Selling vintage autographs
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Kids don't really buy baseball cards anymore, and few attend games or play on a regular basis. Baseball as the national sport is dying, and that does not bode well for the future of the hobby.

There will always be people collecting baseball cards, and vintage cards should certainly remain popular. But the collecting community is shrinking, and the rapid growth we witnessed in the 1980's and 90's was a one time phenomenon. We won't ever see that again. The hobby will survive despite it, but it will be smaller. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Many collectors were turned off by the frenetic pace and rapidly escalating prices, and would much prefer a more relaxed environment. It is what it is.
I really like this statement by Barry. My two sons could care less about baseball cards, and every time I take them with me to the local card shop (1 of 2 in the Dallas area), I offer to buy them each a pack or so of baseball cards. They always politely refuse and opt for a pack of Pokemon.

I miss the local Dallas shows, such as the ones in Garland and at the Twin 60s hotel in Dallas, and combing through boxes of cards to complete sets. I purchased my first pre-war card at a local show back in 1979. Now, as another poster stated, the internet is the "local card shop" in that you can go to our B/S/T section or eBay and find just about whatever you are looking for to complete your set (my, isn't that a relic term for today's "modern" collectors who don't collect sets but instead collect "best pulls"). I've tried the modern cards on-and-off the past 4-5 years, and mostly they leave me cold. The best of the new for me is the Panini 2013 Cooperstown cards; they are modern, yet depict pre-war and post-war subjects in glorious black-and-white.

I'll stick with my vintage "art" (non-photo) cards, such as the T205s, T206s, T201s, 1933 Goudey, and the 1950-51-52 Bowmans....
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM

I think the hobby will suffer in the long term due to a combination of general economic conditions and the passing of us baby boomers, who are not being sufficiently replaced by youngsters due to other competing interests.

I think the internet gave the hobby a shot in the arm but its effects are now stabilized.

By the way, this prediction certainly does not serve my interests as I am purely and collector with no intentions of selling.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM

The future of collecting rests with the personality combination of a baseball fan coupled with a curious historian. Without this duality, the collecting future would be in doubt.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default I'm not collecting Pokemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
...... I offer to buy them each a pack or so of baseball cards. They always politely refuse and opt for a pack of Pokemon.

Frankly I'm not worried about a 200 year old Cobb card being worth less than a 100 year old Pokemon card.

I'm also not worried about "rock & roll oldies" radio stations being replaced by "rap oldies" stations in 50 years.

Our type of card collecting is more akin to antique collecting than to anything related to Panini or Pokemon.

When there are no more art museums, archaeologists, wine collectors, historians, etc,,,,,,,,,, there will be no more card collectors.

Until then, the hobby may morph as it has in the past, but it will be around, unless of course we run out of money.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

That depends on what you mean by future of the hobby. If you mean future values of cards, then yes, they will go down, but people, including myself, will always collect. And those price drops will not happen over night, just very slowly over time and the older guys pass away or get out. But with all that new supply, it will open up great buying opportunities for younger collectors to get stuff they have always wanted but could never afford, so in a way, I am looking forward to such a dip.

I just set up at a show this past weekend. The average dealer was easily over 50, but many were not. And as far as attendees, there were many in their 30s and 40s, some even with kids who were into it.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Daryl

In modern, the speculators who organize and participate in these expensive group box breaks are going to eventually move on to something else to get their gambling fix.

In postwar, the collections put together by baby boomers combined with the glut of altered cards will flood and crash the 50s-70s market.

In prewar, everyone will finally realize that there are more T206 cards in existence than there are stars in the sky, and that market will crash.

The only saving grace of it all will be something quite unexpected. After decades of being mocked, taunted, buried and burned to the ground, the final 1988 Donruss card in existence will sell for one billion dollars.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Vintage Baseball Cards

They are an asset class, regulated by supply, demand and scarcity. I agree with Barry S. I believe you should enjoy them, but don't expect to make a profit on what you buy. The rare cards can have dramatic increases in value, but things can change. Enjoy them.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Bob C.

Default Future of the hobby

Interesting question and thread. However, the OP didn't specify which part of the card collecting hobby he was asking about. I think you can break the hobby up, depending upon the era you're collecting, and get different answers.

There's vintage/pre-war cards, which the people on this forum are primarily into. As many have already said, the shows have died out, card shops are gone, and everything seems to have been replaced by the internet. There will always be collectors for the big names/rare cards and as the economy goes, so will the vintage market ebb and flow. The internet has made vintage collecting much more feasible as a collector can now access items from literally around the world, where before they may have been limited to what showed up at the local card shows and at occasional auctions. The increased access has probably added more collectors to the vintage ranks as finding former elusive items is now a lot easier and can be done from one's home instead of having to go from store-to-store or show-to-show looking for that missing card. Values may be stagnant on most pre-war items for a while but, due to age and the innate human nature of many to be fascinated and want to collect historical/antique items, the pre-war cards will have a somewhat stable market for the forseeable future, with moderate growth overall, in my opinion.

Post-war cards, mostly 50's to the early 80's, is ruled by Topps. This is the era a lot of current collectors grew up in (ie:baby boomers). As expected, as the baby boomers hit the middle/late adult years, they had money and a desire to recapture things from their youth, which included things like baseball cards and comic books. Thus the 80's/90's explosion in the card market was borne, first by the initial wave of collectors looking to find cards from their youth, secondly by the entrepeneurs who recognized the first wave and figured they could make money off of them, and finally, by a third wave of somewhat naive people who saw what happened with the first two waves and thus viewed card collecting as a great investment vehicle/way to turn a quick profit like all the dot.com investors who saw the prosperity of the 90's spilling over into everything else. Well, the baby boomers all have the cards they want, PSA and the registry game could only continue that run so far. Then with the advent of the internet, the search and hunt for such cards was eliminated. If I want a 1968 Topps set I can go on Ebay right now and probably have it within a few minutes. What collecting fun/passion does that generate.....answer is, none. So even the true collectors weren;t as interested in the "hunt" anymore. These cards are still collected but, not in the way they once were. In the future they'll again begin to gain value as they become older and take on more of an antique/historic nature. Problem is, so many of these cards were made/kept that prices will remain fairly low for all but the superstars as supply will surely outstrip demand. In other words, none of us will live long enough to see these cards gaining big value.

The 80's, 90's and 00's card market was borne from greed of the people looking to capitalize on the card market, from the card companies, that vastly overproduced and saturated the market, to the investors/dealers all looking to make a buck. Oh the collectors were still there, just stuck in the middle of all the people looking for those 1000% profits they hoped to get from hoarding all the Jose Canseco rookies they could back in the day. And we all know how that turned out don't we? So then the card companies turned to putting in inserts and numbered cards, followed by autographed cards and finally adding bits of game used material to the cards, all in an attempt to keep the collector's interest and increase their sales and profits. They just kept going and going and overproduced everything to where it is was so watered down that cards couldn't keep their value. Who wanted last year's Derek Jeter autographed card, the collector had to have this year's version, and the card companies made sure to supply as many as the market would bear. Again, one day these cards may have increasing value but, you may have to wait for Buck Rodger's time before that happens.

Finally you get to the current/modern cards of today. There are almost no card shops or shows anymore. The sports themselves have taken a hand in policing the overproduction by card companies in the past by now limiting to whom they grant licensing to. Yet the surviving companies. like Topps and Panini, still thrive by gearing their products more and more to the breakers. These breakers go through Ebay and ultimately their own online venues and break open boxes and cases of newly released products live online for the people who bid/buy a team/division/random spot from them, pay through an online source like paypal, and then instead of opening the pack themselves, watch the breakers open it for them, live and online. The breakers then send the participant whatever cards they won. I work with a guy who just got into breaking with a friend of his this past Spring. They started out doing a night a week and can now easily be doing this three/four nights a week. Just this morning he showed me an order he placed with a distributor for $69,000, yes, $69K, of new product he says they'll go through and sell by breaking in just two or three weeks. And this is part-time a few nights a week for them and they do it out of his friends apartment (ie: no overhead). All you have to do is look at the latest offering from Panini in basketball, called Panini Flawless. The entire production was something like two boxes to a case, and a limited production of only about 450 cases. Now each box, which actually isn't a box but, a full-sized metal briefcase (yes briefcase that alone sells for about $50 I'm told), only holds 10 cards. So 10 cards x 2 boxes per case x 450 cases means the entire production run is only about 9000 cards. But wait, every card is a super insert hit, either with an auto, a jersey/patch, both, or they have an actual diamond or other precious gem embedded on the card. And every card is serial numbered with nothing higher than 20 in existence. Oh, and each box/briefcase was guaranteed to contain at least a Kobe/Kyrie Irving or Kevin Durant card in it. When this came out, my friend bought a couple cases at $2,350 a case. That is right, $2,350 a case (20 cards total). That was about a week and a half ago. On the dealer net out there my friend said he's seen a case now up to $4K+ and I believe he mentioned someone actually had a case on Ebay for around $5,200. My friend tells me that customers of his buy chances to get a card from products like these and hope for the huge hits. Apparently there have been single cards from this Flawless set that have been sold, not just listed but sold, on Ebay in the past week for $30,000. That is where the hobby is currently going. It is in the hands of the breakers who want high-end, huge cards that fuel collectors who are really just looking at this as another form of legalized gambling, hoping to get that huge card they can then turn around and flip on Ebay. And there are apparently plenty of current collectors who will pay big bucks for those manufactured rarities.

Meanwhile, a few weeks ago I won a 1922 Herpolsheimer's - John McGraw card in a PSA 5 holder off Ebay for a little over $200. Per the SCD catalog, there is only one single card of each player known to exist in that set. So I got a HOFer, almost 100 year's old, a true 1-of-1 card for that price, while someone else will pay $30K for a 1-of-1 Kyrie Irving card produced today. And then that same card company will issue another product next week with another 1-of-1 Kyrie Irving card in it, and then the week after that, and the week after that, and so on.....ad nauseum! There's the true state of the current collector hobby, as fostered and nurtured by the card companies still in business.

Bob C
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Pete Costanzo

Default Future

I think it will only go up. None of us have seen Babe Ruth play, yet the money that chases his cards has reached stratospheric levels. My issue is the auction houses have too many auctions and too much good product at once, which dilutes prices. Great for the collector, not so much for the seller. Regardless, there is PLENTY of money that's come into the hobby these past few years in a horrible economy. Can't imagine the future being anything but bright with a finite amount of vintage rarities in circulation.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Barry Sloate

From what I hear, Topps and Bowman sets from the late 40's to the 1960's are soft, and I find that very upsetting. I know the baby boomers who first collected them have gotten older, but those are some of the most beautiful and classic sets ever made. Why isn't the next generation interested in them?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 PM

The next generation is buying housing and food, etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Todd View Post
The next generation is buying housing and food, etc.
True, but while T206's are collected by everybody and his uncle, I can't figure out why 1949 Bowman, or 1953 Bowman, or 1957 Topps are no longer garnering much attention. With T206 so overpriced, why aren't collectors looking elsewhere?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Jeff C.

Great summary Bob. I would like to add a thought previously danced around by Barry. Look at all of the HOFers that Baby Boomers had to collect during their youth. Names that are uttered in reverence and awe. Now look at the HOFers or future HOFers of the modern era. Not very many with the same type of or better stats than those of yesteryear. Except for the hobby darlings (Ripken, Ryan, and Jeter) no other recent or future HOFer has the same luster. Who would you rather collect? Koufax or Blyleven? Aside from the business part of the hobby (shops, shows, card manufacturers, investors, etc.), I agree that baseball has faded somewhat as the national pastime and has been overtaken by football (thanks Pete Rozelle for the TV contract). I just don't believe that football cards or any other sport will ever be as popular as baseball cards simply because the foundation isn't strong enough. I'm 40, sober, and collect cards.

By the way, Daryl that is the best 88 Donruss card I've ever seen. I hope you have it in your set registry.

Last edited by deucetwins; 11-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Being in my 30's I see alot of younger people fixated on the newer cards. The industry is flooded with these so-called 1/1's that people are paying thousands for. Most of these cards are players who arent even hof'ers but because they have a few good games people go crazy. Its hard to get younger people into vintage because they dont have a personal connection with the players. They never watched them play or took the time out to find out more about them. The industry in my opinion is going to continue to grow and the newer generation will still be collecting but primarily modern cards. Me personally I love vintage even if I never saw that specific person play. its the history and knowledge of knowing that that particular player helped pave the way for newer generations. The hobby of collecting will always be there and prices will remain ridiculous.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

How did you get into vintage so young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
For me, I will never drop this hobby. I love vintage baseball cards and I hope future generations to come do as well. I am 16 now, and will be 17 in less than two months. I've been collecting vintage for 4 years now, it was the best decision I ever made. I just feel that people need to spread the news about vintage. Nobody I know collects vintage, let alone baseball cards themselves. It's a great hobby and I hope to see an increase of collectors.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM

I did a random Ebay search. I had always bought modern cards from eBay, but never anything vintage. I hadn't even known they existed to be honest. Then one day, I don't even know why, the idea of "t206 Wagner" popped into my mind after I read an article about him, and I just searched t206 on eBay. From there, I bought my first t206, Fred Parent, raw, for $30. I had it graded and it came back as a four, along with a few other raw cards I purchased within my first few months of t206 collecting. I became hooked with the set and it's been like that for years after. I'm at about 100 t206 cards now, and I love the set. The colors, misprints, stories, variations, etc. I've educated myself about the set, and overall, it's been an amazing experience. I just got back from a Shriner's show in Wilmington, MA, and added a few more to my set.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
How did you get into vintage so young?
When I started collecting cards in the late 80's early 90's I used to always buy the new beckett every month and I remember seeing hank aaron's rc for the first time. I wanted to own one so bad. It was the look of the card and knowing how old it was that made me want it. I would go into this local card shop I always went to and talk to the owner about vintage players and it got me really interested. Also watching the movie "when it was a game" had me hooked. I was fascinated with the history and the way people used to live back then. It was a totally different feel and culture than today. I always wanted to own a mantle or aaron when I got older, but as I got more into the hobby I learned about tons of other players I had never heard of and I was hooked.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
T.e.d. B.r.o.w.n.

I have had a passion for cards for a very long time and have shared this with my kids. I have two teenage boys and we collect cards together. This is one hobby that keeps my boys involved with me, even as an old embarrassing dad. Yes, my kids are xbox playing, iphone texting, facebook, instagram, tweeting kids like most youth of today. If you want our youth involved in vintage collecting, my advise is this for the future of our hobby: Take them to Cooperstown and spend the weekend visiting the HOF and the memorabilia shops. We did this last summer and had the best time of our lives. Stay at the KOA campground north of town, turn off the TV and video games, by a box or two of cards (regardless of the years), open the packs, enjoy going through the cards, build a fire, cook a hot dog, go to sleep and repeat it all the next day. The future is our kids, teach them what we know.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Pete Costanzo

Default Future

Just to add a few other points relating to how card shops have shrunk and people in the future interested in the hobby shrinking I'd say this.... everything in life changes and evolves all the time. Like the stock exchanges not having floor brokers anymore with things being done electronically, we don't have card shops but have auction houses and the internet to quickly interact and see/buy/sell cards. There are 87 million "Millenials" coming out of college in 2-3 yrs, bigger than the baby boomer population, that will pump money into various areas of the economy. I can't imagine with the increasing prices in the vintage card market, and baseball at least in the area I live still quite popular, people in the future not being interested and driving this market for many years to come. We all have a right to our opinions, but I think its like saying the stock market won't continue to grow in the future which is silly. Just enjoy the ride, evolution, and look forward to the future.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

To me it's simple. Back in my day we flipped cards night and day, constantly traded with our friends to get our favorite players and teams, we'd carry a bunch of cards in our pockets wherever we went and then we'd stick them in our bicycle spokes to get that cool whirring sound. Condition meant nothing.

Today? Kids open a new pack in a baseball card shop and handle each card very gingerly and immediately slide them into plastic sheets or holders. No wear, no tear, no baseball talk. The only thing said is, "How much is this one worth?"

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post

To me, this is still the single greatest picture I've ever seen. It works on oh so many levels!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Jason

Default I love this thread!

It's so obvious that we are all correct and horribly wrong about all of this at the same time.
I believe we are correct when we state that the hobby will survive. It's relative health will ebb and flow over the years, and it is large enough with a diverse enough demographic among the collector base to experience strength and weakness in various sub-areas over time.
I believe we are wrong when those among us simply compare today's activity at shows or price action to what I call the roaring 80s. That is like using the Tech bubble as a reference for the demise of the entire stock market. There will be areas of the market that could crash and not recover, but other areas will pick up and run.
Such a huge topic.
Nobody panic.
We will all be fine.
and if we're not, well then as some point out, there will be other more important things to worry about!