NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Rob Miller

Default T206: Thoughts on Direction

Hi all,

I originally started trying to tame the monster last year grabbing any card, any back, in any condition. Got up to 15% and decided to seel them off because I wanted to start other projects (E91A-C, Rube Waddell Player Set, etc..). Although my collection is growing into something special I still very much consider myself to be a novice collector.

I never lost my love the T206 set for many obvious reasons and I want to get back into it slowly with a clear direction. So far, I have picked up a few cards (mainly from the B/S/T) and I have narrowed it down to 2 ideas:

1) - Portraits
2) - Tolstoi Backs

I just wanted to get some feedback from veteran T206 collectors about the pros and cons of each idea, including price and scarcity. I am about 50/50 so any input would help. Also, how many portraits are there in total?

Thanks so much - Rob
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Paul

Default T206 has to inspire you...

If T206 cards don't inspire you, then it is probably best not to concentrate on any particular area of T206 to build on. I really believe that you have to hear it calling you before you should start collecting it in any serious quantities. If there is something inherent in portraits that absolutely captivates your attention, then I would say go for it. Similarly, if you are huge into Russian cigarettes, or something akin, then Tolstoi backs would be a ton of fun. But your potential interest in portraits or Tolstoi backs strike me as very different vantage points for appreciating the set and, combined with your recent sell off of T206 cards, suggests you haven't been hooked quite yet.

Most serious T206 collectors acquire the set because we have to. It gets in your blood and under your skin. Don't force it -- let it come to you!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Rob,

I agree with the above poster. Other than signed examples, T206 has never done much for me. There are plenty of other sets out there from the tobacco era to the 1930s. Perhaps you can explore around and see if you naturally gravitate towards one? That's how I got into my 1933 DeLong and Tattoo Orbit projects.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Rob Miller

I totally agree and I hear what you are saying, but I would say that I am hooked. The only difference is that this time I want to have a better plan rather than just buying up everything I see like I did the first time around.

The Tolstoi backs would be nice because I have Russian ancestry on both sides of my family. The portraits to me are some of the most beautiful cards ever made IMO. I just wanted to see which one feasibly made more sense.

Also focusing more on these subsets would ensure that I would not have to focus 100% on T206 and I can still peruse my other projects.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Paul

I have always admired the Tolstoi cards because of my Russian ancestry as well. The portraits can keep you busy on a daily basis since there's always one for sale somewhere. The Tolstoi are going to be a little bit harder to track down. If you're only looking for a part-time collecting gig, then I'd probably go with the Tolstoi. It is a bit more definitive and will start to look really neat when you get a bit of a stack to flip through.

But back to the "hooked" point. Once in awhile I try to branch out into other collecting areas, but I always get pulled back into T206 and wind up selling the other stuff to afford the T206s. To me, that's when you know you are hooked -- that's when you hear the calling.

@SignedT206
Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 AM

I will ammend what I said previously. Some of the tougher backs such as Tolstoi and El Principe De Gales (my favorite) add an
interesting dimension to a common set. Happy collecting,

James
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Rob, I think I can make a suggestion that would solve your dilemma. Collect only T-206 portraits with a Tolstoi back! Two birds, one stone.

I just acquired a Tolstoi back red Cobb portrait if you want to start there...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Rob Miller

JP - Nice pickup!

That is a good idea, although Tolstois do not come around so often, so I am probably going try and grab any presentable one that I find if that is what I end up doing.

Thanks for the responses...

Rob
Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

The monster grabbed me about 2 years ago when I started picking up just any T206 so that I could build my set. I've found that my purchases as of late have been much higher graded than my original purchases - as I collect more I get more condition aware. Unfortunately that means I can only get about 3-4 new cards a month instead of 10-12.

I should finish the set around 2030 at this rate.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Barry Arnold

Default T206

Paul M is absolutely right.
At first the Monster calls---it woos and encourages you to come on board for the taming.
Then it discourages you, drops all sorts of impediments in your pathway, and
wants you to quit.
Then it offers a mix of encouraging and discouraging, often in the same day--sometimes in the same moment.
Don't listen to it. And then you're well on your way.

best,
barry
Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Paul

Default The T206 Mirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
At first the Monster calls---it woos and encourages you to come on board for the taming. Then it discourages you, drops all sorts of impediments in your pathway, and wants you to quit. Then it offers a mix of encouraging and discouraging, often in the same day--sometimes in the same moment. Don't listen to it. And then you're well on your way.
I've gone through some long periods where the Monster completely stopped calling me. Where I doubted that I ever even wanted to collect it. These were the "impediments" described here. The Monster does want you to quit. It is tantalizing in its ease of access. T206 cards are all over ebay and the B/S/T on this very website. But that is only like a mirage in the desert. As you continue to walk closer towards it, it vanishes as quick as that Pink Hal Chase on ebay. The closer you get to completion the further the end seems. This is no 25 card E95 set. You repeatedly get half as close to the end but it is a mathematical truth that you will never get there. The Wagner and Doyle Gods will be waiting at the end to laugh at you. For many Plank, Magie and even O'Hara, Demmitt will be laughing at you, too.

But there is joy and satisfaction in reaching completion, minus even the Big 6 (not Christy, of course). It is an experience well worth having, worth the wait, the patience, the agony and the frustration and the PayPal fees. The key is to never put the set down completely. Always keep an eye on the available options. Move at your own, comfortable pace. The Monster will encourage you to sprint -- but this will only prematurely zap you of your energy. There is only one way to eat an elephant -- 1 bite at a time. How do I collect the T206 set? 1 card at a time.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Struggling to remain faithful

I can identify with Card Target. I started collecting the monster a few years ago, and the rate of accumulation has really slowed down. I'm about half way there. When you start buying quality, quanity will always suffer. I don't want to quit, but I'm starting to wonder if I will ever complete the set. One thing that I do know is that I'm happier when I pick up one sharp looking card than whole bunch of beaters.

I've also found myself drifting into other prewar cards. Cubans, e102s and even a Cracker Jack. I guess that you would call that cheat'n. I think I'm still hooked, because I'm willing to sell the other cards if the price is right, but I don't want to sell my T206s unless I pick up a double.

Best wishes on your collection,

Joe
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Clayton

Hi Rob-

I agree with what everyone else said.Also,just my opinion,but don't only limit yourself to portraits and Tolstoi.Look at everything,because you could miss out on an awesome pickup.Keep the portraits & Tolstoi backs as a primary focus,but look at everything.

I've gotten lucky a few times by looking at everything.I picked up a Bresnahan portrait with an EPDG back,there doesn't seem to be a lot of those around.Also picked up a Chase dark cap with with a Sov.460 back-at the time,I was only buying it because I wanted that Chase card.As you can see in the recent threads about Sov.460,it is a rarity-I just got lucky,thats all.

I wish you the best and hope you don't give up.As written in the above posts,this set will bring you all kinds of mixed feelings and emotions,but it is just so much damn fun,I plan to collect them for many years to come!!!

Good luck hunting Rob!!!

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Rob Miller

Thanks Clayton....

I think I am going to go the Tolstoi route as the primary focus and since I have some different backs and a couple HOFers, I can possibly build off of that too. Whatever I decide to do I will make sure it brings a smile to my face...and I guess cobwebs to my wallet!

Thanks to all for the insightful responses.

Rob
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Archive

Rob

Thats good advice from Clayton. Focus on what you like, but keep a "panoramic view". You might stumble across something really nice. I too have picked up some nice cards by looking at everything like Clayton has mentioned.

Jantz
Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

One collector on the SGC registry has a nice collection of one card from each of the Hall of Famers of the T206 set, focusing on their portraits when possible. Just an idea for you.

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...7&userset=2854
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Don

I think back sets are the way to go with T206 collecting (although I'm in the minority on that).

A Tolstoi set would be cool and I don't think anyone else is doing one.

What would be neat would be to also get the Tolstoi T218's etc. There's even non sports cards like the Military series.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Johnny S

A bunch of Tolstoi backs would be very cool. And the E91s are a very cool set to put together, and you can't go wrong with Waddell.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Rob Miller

Thanks everyone!!

I am 100% doing the Tolstoi back project. Although it will be slow because of scarcity and budget, I am looking forward to the long journey which I will chronicle on this site.

I really do love the look of the E91 cards and that is what drew me to start collecting those. I wanted to go slow with that project as well, but to my surprise there has been an influx of them on Ebay recently and I have over 30% complete for each E91 set.

Last edited by Robextend; 03-08-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Rob Miller

So far this is my only Tolstoi, but not an awful start:

Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The most common of all PreWar cards, ..........Very Overatted IMO.

But they are attractive, full of history, and lower grade raw cards are cheap for vintage.

The size and number of HOFers will cost some $$ overall, But its Very Very easy to build a set if you have the cash flow (minus big 4/5).

I have worked on sets 3 times in my life (80's-90's) and never got past 75% without losing interest and selling/trading them off.

Very easy for team sets, HOF collections etc.

The challenging part is if you are trying for a Back Type set.

But then again I am no longer a Set Collector.

I like sets like the E90-1 much better for some reason, more of a challenge IMO

Last edited by fkw; 03-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.