NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default Babe Ruth Candy cards

Posted By: dan mckee

I believe these cards are no good guys, please be careful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8762056566&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 02-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I was at a card show in Michigan This weekend and swear I saw a guy going from table to table trying to sell the exact cards with the wrapper. I think this is the same guy. He had a bunch of T206 fakes as well.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I got one back from SGC, last week, that is exactly like these.....fake.....I knew it when I got it and got a refund from an honest ebay seller....regards

Old 02-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Joe - which Michigan show, and was there decent vintage there?

J

Old 02-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Dan, thanks for the heads-up. What do you see that makes you think they are fake? Also, how easy or difficult is it to get fakes past the grading companies (SGC/PSA in particular)?

Old 02-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

Just curious but,if the cards are fake how about the wrapper can anyone tell if that is the real thing.If it is real what would it be worth?I also would like to know how you can tell the card`s are fake.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Joann- I was at the Mt Clemens Gibralter Trade Center. Not Much vintage, although usually about 30-40 T206 and Goudeys. I did find an E98 though.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Authentic......................Fake
Dans right I think they are all reprints.
Notice how the picture is cropped slightly on the fake (card on right), most noticed on how much of pants shows below the belt, and where the "K" on the uniform meets the border. Also the caption is different, on the fakes the card number (#6) is smaller, the "swats" has a big "S" instead of the small "s", and it is missing the period "." after the "swats".

Old 02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

The artifical aging is what I noticed.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

on another note - does anyone know the relative scarcity of these Ruth cards with blank backs compared to those with non-blank backs? and how did they arrive that way? any other variations?

Old 03-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Notice the "K" in New York is clearly visible. And the "s" in "Swats" is small. But there is no period after "swats". Also, this is a blank backed card in a PSA holder (that may mean something to some, or nothing to others).

Old 03-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

The one in my post above (on left) is a San Francisco back. I have it in my hands right now, Im 99.5% sure it is authentic. Lately I have been looking at every single Ruth Candy card, looking for differences, and have noticed there are a lot of variations is the cropping of the photos and the caption print. I know there is a blank back, a Cleveland Back and a San Francisco back. I have owned all 3 types of backs in the past but never of the same card #. This set needs to be reserched a bit more.

edited to add photo

Notice how this Ruths photo was cropped differently, On mine you can see more of his pants below the belt at bottom. but on yours (above) you can see it has more room above Ruths head. So I believe both are authentic, just variations, as they do have different backs.

Frank

Old 03-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

Is there a definitive answer to the authencity of these cards? They don't look quite right to me as compared to the lighter cards that I have seen posted on this and other sites. Some of them look cropped but one is actually larger than the lighter colored versions.
Would someone also make a fake wax paper wrapper to make the cards seem real? My instincts tell me thay are fake, but something doesn't add up. Does anyone on the board know of someone who has researched this issue?

ruth candy cards,

Wrapper

edited to insert wrapper image

Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

I have sent in these type cards to SGC to make sure the ones I had were not good. They weren't. Since legit ones were printed on a few different kinds of cardstock it's almost impossible to tell if they are fake from scans, especially the ones, like these, on the darker stock. The best way to tell, for me, is by the feel of paper, and by looking at the "graininess" of the photo.....and those things can't be told from a scan very well...regards (always buy these with an authenticity guarantee or don't buy them)...

Old 03-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

Thanks Leon,

Thanks for the info. Is the wrapper a fake also? It looks real and has a wax paper feel to it. The other auction I saw on Ebay with these same dark colored ruth cards also had a wrapper with it but the printing on the wrapper was a little different.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

I have never seen a fake Babe Ruth wrapper and believe it would be very, very difficult to have a good looking fake one....Many times we see scammers throw something real into the mix of fakes to throw us off of the track...I have seen that MO many times.....best regards (not saying anything about these cards as I don't know for sure...though I would get that guarantee I talked about)

Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Leon, I talked to Dan M. about the issue recently and he told me about a wrapper he had found that was later found out to be most likely not real. I agree that it would be a pretty time consuming task to make one though. Maybe Dan can shed some more light on this.

BTW it was from Ohio...nothing good ever comes out of Ohio.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I might get this card, but would like your opinions. Even though it is graded by GAI, does this look legit? Sorry for the small scan....

James

Old 03-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Hard to tell with the small scan, but I dont see any of the obvious problems like the small number.

But that holder is a joke, its got to be a foot long. Ugly, what were they thinking when they designed that?

Frank

Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

It would be shipped to SGC as soon as I get it. The holder is atrocious. How much do singles from this set in mid-grade usually go for? Is this set as questionable as Fro Joy in terms of prevelance of fakes?

J---