NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Nice old 1866 photo ended early on the bay

AS I was figuring out what to bid I guess the seller went ahead and left a good amount of money on the table taking an offer. Wish I was the one that made it > ...I would have loved to bid at the end.....Congrats to whomever made the offer and got it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1866-Virgini...4AAOSwjwlXBBjr

Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 AM

Yes, the seller got screwed on this one. Assuming the back notation is correct, this would be one of the oldest images of a Southern baseball team known to exist and worth many times what they paid. Too bad.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Brendan Mullen

Why is baseball spelled as one word, "baseball", and not "Base Ball" on the back?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I don't put much stock in handwriting analysis, but that ain't 19th century handwriting. The photo I trust, but the handwriting is much more recent.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Brendan Mullen

^^^^ 100% agree ^^^^
Old 04-07-2016, 02:45 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Accurate notes can be added later on, if it came from an album, family archive, other. My aunt went through old family photos, including some from the turn of the 1800s and early 1900s, and wrote the names of the relatives/descendants on the back.

The photo itself is 1860s. 1866 could definitely be the correct date.

Last edited by drcy; 04-07-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Jeremy W.

Sure looks to be a legitimate photo to me. The seller left some money on the table, but I don't think they left a bunch.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Correct card stock

The photo is mounted on the correct card stock for 1866. The wide line - thin line stock was used from 1864 - 1869.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Jeremy W.

Dean- Thanks. That's good information.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Robert Klevens

Did the seller start this at $99.99 with a $750 BIN or did he add the BIN after receiving an offer from someone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bid.jpg (54.8 KB, 539 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Did the seller start this at $99.99 with a $750 BIN or did he add the BIN after receiving an offer from someone?
He added it.....I would have hit a BIN of at least 2x the price.....but that's sour grapes.

And that being said if the winner reads this and wants to double their money, please contact me.

Last edited by Leon; 04-07-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:06 PM
GaryPassamonte

This is one nice cdv. I can come up with about a dozen team cdvs from 1866 or earlier and many of these poses are unique. Also, all depict teams from the northeast, particularly the New York and Massachusetts corridor. Being from 1866 and picturing a team from Virginia makes it not only nice, but special.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Shawn England

Doubling there money on this CDV is quite steep in my opinion... I saw it when it first popped up on eBay and the first thought that crossed my mind was ehhhh? Not my favorite... I agree with others, maybe a little left on the table but not much.... The posting of this thread and quick response I thought was more interesting - and probably just a part of the game outside of EBay... Thinking I might try the same trick next time I loose out....
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I only wish I had asked about it first, my only regret. I have asked about them many times and got many of them at BINs as this one was. I just didn't do it this time. My mistake, not a big deal. There is always something else to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Doubling there money on this CDV is quite steep in my opinion... I saw it when it first popped up on eBay and the first thought that crossed my mind was ehhhh? Not my favorite... I agree with others, maybe a little left on the table but not much.... The posting of this thread and quick response I thought was more interesting - and probably just a part of the game outside of EBay... Thinking I might try the same trick next time I loose out....

Last edited by Leon; 04-07-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 PM

Its probably worth 2500-4000 in my opinion. If it was a northern team, 1000-1500 but if properly advertised as a rare piece of southern baseball history it is worth at least 4X the final price. Could do better, could do worse but that is what I would expect.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM
GaryPassamonte

Rhys, looks like you are right on.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/auction...aspx?id=136757
Old 04-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Shawn England

Now that one looks great! I would be a little nervous If I was the buyer of the $750.00 one
Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 AM
pete ullman

one sold on ebay looks nicer!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Shawn England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
one sold on ebay looks nicer!
Are you saying that, because it has the same stains as the one in Cowans Auction? I really like all the reprint Ruths and Wagners that he has sold!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Are you saying that, because it has the same stains as the one in Cowans Auction? I really like all the reprint Ruths and Wagners that he has sold!
Shit... I did not look that closely ! I noticed that the borders had a different color but the one in the Cowan auction looked like it had more damage than the other?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Kevin O'Gara

So now there's 2 of them
Old 04-08-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Photographer back

I like that the Cowan one has a photographer I'd on the back, eBay was blank. The background is almost certainly the Lawn housing area of UVA, where Poe once lived and is still in use.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Shit... I did not look that closely ! I noticed that the borders had a different color but the one in the Cowan auction looked like it had more damage than the other?
that ebay photo definitely looks cropped compared to the Cowan.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:11 AM

Maybe it's just me, but the eBay example looks very washed out to my eyes. The Cowans example is clear, even when you magnify the view. Also, the guilding on the eBay example is faded, which could be natural, but might also be an example of a poor copy.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Seth

I was just going to post that this is an amazing image. But now I read the last few posts on this thread, and I'm happy I didn't pay any money for the ebay one!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbernard View Post
I was just going to post that this is an amazing image. But now I read the last few posts on this thread, and I'm happy I didn't pay any money for the ebay one!
You got that right..
Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM

No wonder he was so eager to take the BIN!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:01 AM
pete ullman

apparently it was a duck!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM

I sent this message to the seller: So did you sell this as a reprint to the buyer or are you trying to misrepresent it?

Seller's response: Excuse me!!! This was not a reprint I showed to some dealers and also I'm offering a full refund on the item

My follow-up:Ok, just thought you might want to hear that there are concerns about what is being sold. You may want to check out the 12/16/2013 Cowan's auction of this image. Interesting that it appears to have all the same stain marks sans the cropped portions around the perimeter of the image.

Now I'm not gonna say it's a reprint myself but I think it doesn't take a genius to come to your own conclusion. What is annoying out there on eBay anymore (amongst many other things) is that sellers think they can get away with anything by saying they'll offer a refund. So, what most do is to sell it and hope that the buyer doesn't know what he has. If he does, they apologize profusely and then the duped buyer is so happy to get his money back he doesn't even give the seller a negative feedback. Hell, I've even seen buyers give a positive feedback for the seller being "so honest" just cuz they got their money back.

Rob M.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:28 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

If I am not mistaken that buyer is a board member. Hope he sees this thread

Member since 2009
Old 04-08-2016, 01:46 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Nice catch Gary. If you hadn't found that item sold by Cowan Auction, no one would have known the difference.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:04 PM
GaryPassamonte

I can't take credit for the link. Another board member found it and sent it to me. Net54 works!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:16 PM
$cotty @.utin

Is there a reason you were openly rude to the seller to start the conversation? Everyone on here thought it was real till other evidence was introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
I sent this message to the seller: So did you sell this as a reprint to the buyer or are you trying to misrepresent it?

Seller's response: Excuse me!!! This was not a reprint I showed to some dealers and also I'm offering a full refund on the item

My follow-up:Ok, just thought you might want to hear that there are concerns about what is being sold. You may want to check out the 12/16/2013 Cowan's auction of this image. Interesting that it appears to have all the same stain marks sans the cropped portions around the perimeter of the image.

Now I'm not gonna say it's a reprint myself but I think it doesn't take a genius to come to your own conclusion. What is annoying out there on eBay anymore (amongst many other things) is that sellers think they can get away with anything by saying they'll offer a refund. So, what most do is to sell it and hope that the buyer doesn't know what he has. If he does, they apologize profusely and then the duped buyer is so happy to get his money back he doesn't even give the seller a negative feedback. Hell, I've even seen buyers give a positive feedback for the seller being "so honest" just cuz they got their money back.

Rob M.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 04-08-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
Is there a reason you were openly rude to the seller to start the conversation? Everyone on here thought it was real till other evidence was introduced.
Because most all of the other items he has sold are reprints and this one is clearly a fake. He's trying to scam somebody for $750 on a quick BIN and hoping they don't notice. Look at the Cowan's auction CDV and this one. He didn't have an original fall in his lap. He either got it from his "sources" or he made it himself.

Edited to add - To further answer your question - it's because that's what you're required to do when you get to be my age. I'm getting old, cynical, I've got hair starting to grow on my ears, and all those other things that happen when you.....umm, crap, now I forgot what the hell was I talking about....

Last edited by ramram; 04-08-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Because most all of the other items he has sold are reprints and this one is clearly a fake. He's trying to scam somebody for $750 on a quick BIN and hoping they don't notice. Look at the Cowan's auction CDV and this one. He didn't have an original fall in his lap. He either got it from his "sources" or he made it himself.
I'd question that Custer CDV he sold too.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'd question that Custer CDV he sold too.
I thought the same thing
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM

Default Not much doubt now

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
I thought the same thing
He just listed three Civil War tintypes, and these are marked reproduction in the title line.

Last edited by CTDean; 04-09-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He added it.....I would have hit a BIN of at least 2x the price.....but that's sour grapes.

And that being said if the winner reads this and wants to double their money, please contact me.
Contact the seller, he may have another one.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 PM
GaryPassamonte

I've spent some time today comparing the Cowan example and the ebay example of this cdv. There do seem to be a couple areas of difference. On the Cowan example there is a white chip below the dark spot on the pillar nearest the tree. This white chip is not on the ebay example. Also, there is a large white area in the top center of the tree in the Cowan example . This too appears absent from the ebay example. Finally, and this is more difficult to see, the Cowan example has a couple small white chips to the right of the tree top right not in the ebay example. These differences take the cropping into effect. If it possible the other similar flaws in the two cdvs were actually a part of the original image and not added through handling and time, and that the ebay example is not positively a hoax? If the ebay example is faked, it should be identical to the Cowan example. Take a look.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I've spent some time today comparing the Cowan example and the ebay example of this cdv. There do seem to be a couple areas of difference. On the Cowan example there is a white chip below the dark spot on the pillar nearest the tree. This white chip is not on the ebay example. Also, there is a large white area in the top center of the tree in the Cowan example . This too appears absent from the ebay example. Finally, and this is more difficult to see, the Cowan example has a couple small white chips to the right of the tree top right not in the ebay example. These differences take the cropping into effect. If it possible the other similar flaws in the two cdvs were actually a part of the original image and not added through handling and time, and that the ebay example is not positively a hoax? If the ebay example is faked, it should be identical to the Cowan example. Take a look.
Hi Gary. I'm seeing multiple foxing and stain marks from the Cowan image that show up on the ebay image. That is the tell-all. There's no way those should match. The most obvious is the mark on the left shoulder of the player standing fourth from the left.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Hi Gary. I'm seeing multiple foxing and stain marks from the Cowan image that show up on the ebay image. That is the tell-all. There's no way those should match. The most obvious is the mark on the left shoulder of the player standing fourth from the left.
And the black mark under the right column on the house