NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Default Propagandas (Cubans)

Posted By: Mike

In comparison to other Cuban sets, how difficult is this set? And how difficult is it, compared to other American sets of this time period? Understanding all the while that there were few sets from the post war period. But compared to Playball for example, or late 40's Bowmans etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

It was simple enough in the beginning. We included some Canadian sets into our collections. After all, how harmful can some OPC issues be, we foolishly thought. And Nielsons, Willards, etc.

Before long, we find that we are fending off sets from Japan, Venezuela, Dominican Republic and more. What is next?

If Leon doesn't step in here and clean this up, I give it six months until we are discussing Mars Attacks variations.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Yeah, who wants to talk about Mars Attacks, I'd rather know more about the 1938 (pre-war, mind you) Horrors of War set. Isn't the Mars Attack series from 1962 or so (not pre-war).

Just kidding Gil....

Old 03-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Thanks for all your "kind" consideration.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The Propagandas cards are definitely one of the most common Cuban sets. They are certainly many times more difficult than Play Balls or Bowmans. You'll have to wait to hear from Ryan or Matt to find out how they compare to some of the tougher regional cards from the era, like 1947 Tip Tops, Wilson Wieners, etc.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Thanks Paul. I appreciate the mature reply. My request was simple. I realized it fell after WW2. I never knew it would draw such fervor from the masses.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Mike,

My comment wasn't directed at your inquiry. Take it easy.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Hey Mike, the latest issue we're allowed to discuss are Leister game cards, released on August 23 1945, just 10 days prior to Jpan's surrender aboard the U.S.S. Missouri. Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Mark,

That works for Japanese cards, but if it's a European issue then the card would have to have been produced before May 8, 1945 (VE Day). Also, I'm not certain if the cards had to be distributed by that date or just produced by that date, the rules aren't clear on that. One last thing is that I believe ALL Swiss baseball cards have to be considered OT (even if produced or distributed before 1945) because the Swiss were neutral during WW2 (and WW1) and therefore could not possibly have cards considered pre-war.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Mike: my entire post was intended as a bit of levity.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

No problem Gil. But look at it from my perspective. it came off as negative. I can't tell you how many people I talk to, knowledgable, intelligent, long time collectors, people who fly under the radar, as I guess i do, who don't want to post on here, because they get belittled, or talked down to. And these are not necessarily overly sensitive folks. I realized that the card I inquired about, fell 12 months beyond the invisable barrier, but i thought that since we are all adults, it would be acceptable. But anyway, no problem. See ya' at the national.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

You guys are getting a bit crazy.

I have asked questions and posted new variations on the Propagandas Montiel cards along with other issues from 1940s Cuba before (Campo Alegre, Carmelo Deportivo, Kelloggs postcards, Acebo, Ansco, Teleteros, etc.) and have never heard complaints. These sets IMO are far far rarer and far more interesting than some common PlayBall, Leaf, or Bowman card. There are some tough HOFers and Negro Leaguer stars in these sets, along with cards of Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Mathewson, Foxx, etc. And finding them in good condition is even tougher.

IMO Id rather see posts like this Cuban card one rather than all those lame "Bonds Steroid" and "PSA/SGC whats better" posts.

Frank

Old 03-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Well stated Frank. It started as an innocent question. But this has happened to me before in here. I have been collecting pre war for about 16 years, and post war since I was 5. I have dealt with most major dealers and auction houses over the years. And have as one of my best friends, one the nations most respected dealers. But somehow because I am not on a personal basis with many of the individuals in here, that makes me somehow less knowledgable, and a target for ridicule. In any case, I will hang in there. The most knowledgable of us in this hobby, don't know it all. Though appears some think they do. Thanks again Frank.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

and right on Frank! I love my propaganda. I'm not sure Mr. Mathewson played after 1945 so as far as I'm concerned this is "vintage".

Old 03-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Mike,

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, nor am I trying to bait you on.

"But somehow because I am not on a personal basis with many of the individuals in here, that makes me somehow less knowledgable, and a target for ridicule."

I'm not sure that this generalization is accurate. I know a few people that post and lurk here but by no means would I (and others here) even begin to assume that someone has little or no knowledge about vintage cards because they are new to this forum or rarely post here. I know a couple of collectors that have little or no interest in this board but their experience and knowledge of vintage cards is above average. If they ever made an initial post on this board then I would hope that nobody would assume that they are ignorant. I actually think that your post is interesting because it does have to do with cards. But, generalizations as the one you made are a bit out of line (even though it may apply to some people - whom, I don't know).