NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default T205 sizes and trimming

Posted By: kyle lentine

I mentiond 2 t205's I have that are short. My scanning is poor but I will try to post the cards in question. Please give me honest opinions if you feel they might be trimmed. Both cards are about 1/32 short top to bottom
thanks much
Kyle

Old 02-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I agree 100% with Brian's thoughts on legitimate size variations.

Far from being some sort of savior, professional grading, or at least the hobby's greedy use of them, is a major reason for all the trimmed cards in this world.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I question the bottom cut on the harmon and the top cut on the Devlin. A scan with a color background would be more helpful. Checking the color of the stock on all the edges is a good indicator also. The edges I question seem too sharp for the amonunt of chipping.

Just my unprofessional opinion,

Lee

Old 02-19-2002, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I questioned the same thing recently on a different series. I bought a Mayo Foutz (don't even know why) from Scott B. I told him I thought it could have a problem because all of the corners looked too sharp. He said bring it to the show ( a few weeks ago) and we'll see. I'll be darned if it did not measure EXACTLY with the other cards, had the same chipping on the back on 2 sides just like they did, and look like many of his other Mayo's. Point is that just because the corners come to points I don't think we should come to conclusions. We need to loupe (sp?) the card to see the edges better and see if they have the same characteristics as other ones. Just my penny worth....haven't been posting much the last few days so had to stretch my legs......regards all
ps....I did send a Mayo in to PSA that only had 2 sharp corners about 4 years ago and it came back "evid trm"

Old 02-19-2002, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

and it came back trimmed one month, then graded 84 nm the next month. Ah, but then consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

Kyle-
Your cards look ok to me -- I honestly have trouble believing that worn T205s that do not seem to have suspicious cuts are trimmed. If I can have oversized T205s (and I do) it seems to me that there might be legit undersized T205s out there to. Remember these cards were not originally cut by laser beams or anything nor were they for sale -- they were just pictures cards that were given as a friendly extra with Tobacco. I don't think anyone back in 1911 was taking particular care to make sure that these little freebies all had exactly the same measurements. Additionally, the technology just wasn't up to the task of cutting them perfectly equally 90+ years ago.

Nonetheless we live in a graded card world and I think you would have trouble getting them graded -- at least by PSA or SGC (I think the same would probably hold for Beckett's outfit and the new former PSA graders' company).

Old 02-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: lentel

What made you send the T218 back to them? Just hoping it would grade or?? I am just a little curious?
Thanks
Kyle

Old 02-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edhans

I agree with Lee on both counts. The wear patterns do not seem to match. Better scans would be helpful.