NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Rob Miller

Default White Plains NY Card show this weekend

Anyone going to the White Plains, NY Card Show this weekend??
Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Paul

I'll probably stop by for a few minutes, but I have very little business there this time -- no cards to drop off at SGC or JSA. Still, I like to browse the tables and talk to some of the dealers.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Phil Garry

I'm planning to go for a little while on Sunday morning. Only about a 1/2 hour drive for me.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Rob Miller

It's about an hour and change drive for me, but I will be there Saturday morning starting at the SGC table.

Last edited by Robextend; 01-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
James Gallo

I will be there all day Friday, I have a lot of cards to submit and plan to look for some things to buy. Should be fun even if there might not be too much to buy.

James G
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Glyn Parson

Default What time does it open

What time does it open to public on friday?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Rob Miller

I believe the hours are:

Friday 2-8
Sat 10-5
Sun 10-4
Old 01-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Phil Garry

Anyone attend the show yesterday? How was it?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I just got back -- had to drop off some delicate items to be graded. It was my first baseball card show (really) and I'm wondering if it will now be my last. Very few prewar tables, maybe 3 or so. However, the dealers at the prewar tables were so laughably overpriced you'd had to have been an idiot to even consider paying for their cards even after they gave you their super special, bargain-basement deals. For example: one putz had an Orange Borders Tigers card in raw condition but not in great shape. I would say the card has sold any number of times in various auctions for anywhere from $250 to $350, never any more. Anyway, the guy was selling it for $950! I mentioned to him that he was dreaming with that price and he responded that the card "books for $2400." I'm thinking, "which planet is this book on?" He had another Mordecai Brown PC I was somewhat interested in but it had writing on the front and back. The card may have been worth $150 -- he had it listed for $650 but would come down to $500 for me -- after telling me it "books for $2000." Anyway, the guy kind of looked like Bill Goodwin so I made sure that my wallet was still in my pocket and my fillings still in my teeth and got out of there. Another dealer had a badly beat up Tigers team card from 07 with a sticker on it for $950. The card was maybe worth $100 as it had writing on it and paper loss after having been removed from a scrapbook. I laughed at the price and he knocked it down first to $450 and then $250. I walked away from that POS as well.

The question is: is the National the same way? Are the dealers just hoping that some imbecile throws money at them? Is the National similarly just a waste of time?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- I haven't been to a show in more than ten years, for exactly the reason you described. Once in a while you can find something fairly priced but you have to get lucky. Most people go just to catch up with old friends.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Yankeefan51

Default White Plains

We attended the show from 10:30AM this morning to 11:15AM

Whilst we had the opportunity to have a number of super rare
pieces graded by our friends at SCG, the only other money
that we were able to spend was $2.25 on a diet coke

Most of the dealers who had pre-War Cards packed their table with medium
and low grade examples that we have seen many times at prior shows.

On gentlemen did have a common Rose Card graded 80 but his asking price
was nearly double book.

It was good to catch up with Bill Huggins who had items from his forthcoming auction on display. When we asked him if there was anything in the room... he simply said "nothing for you."

He was right. Unless you want to spend time on an autograph line, collect
cards from 1990's on, then you probably will learn more and see more and for that matter, buy more by spending your time on this Board and E-Bay

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Barry Sloate

I think $2.25 for a diet coke was a fair deal.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I mentioned to him that he was dreaming with that price and he responded that the card "books for $2400." I'm thinking, "which planet is this book on?"
I was there today submitting to SGC and JSA. It is funny when you want to sell cards to those dealers it seems as if they are using a different "book".

And I also find it funny how they will belittle the card in every way just to try and rip you off.

Last edited by Robextend; 01-16-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Meant JSA not PSA
Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
I was there today submitting to SGC and PSA. It is funny when you want to sell cards to those dealers it seems as if they are using a different "book".

And I also find it funny how they will belittle the card in every way just to try and rip you off.
I have to say that getting lied to my face today by this dude was just bizarre. This idea that the price guide's prices (in near mint, of course, no matter the condition of the card) is somehow holy is obviously a fraud. Are buyers off of Net 54 that stupid or are they all unaware of VCP?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default last show I went to

The last show I went to was the Philly show, a few months ago. While I had a great time visiting with Teddy Z and got to meet his even lovelier wife, I couldn't buy anything at the show. There was 1 card I wanted pretty bad. I walked around the table....went to a few other tables and came back. I finally got the nerve to ask the guy his price (and this is a big PSA dealer but is a friend too, so I won't mention his name). I know the card was a $400-$500 card....maybe a bit more. He told me it was $1450. I couldn't even make a counteroffer I felt was legitimate since his price was so over the top and just walked away shaking my head. There will be another of those cards for sure. I really don't get some of the pricing strategies. I am sure that dealer must have had a 3x-5x markup on that card. What happened to being happy with 20%-30% profit, or at least a reasonable street price (if they happened to get a great buy)?..regards

Last edited by Leon; 01-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.