NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Jim H

Default Bite by three dogs...what to do?

Everyday I take my boxer for a walk. On Saturday morning we were on our usual route when three dogs; a pit bull, 2 collies bust out of their fenced in gate towards us. My dog and I backed peddled into the middle of the street. With the pit bull in the lead, the three dogs reached us. My boxer immediately sat. The three dogs by passed her and started to attack me. I yelled, kicked and punched with no effect. In the process the pit bull knocked me down and continued bitting. While on the ground I saw a pickup truck parked nearby. I got up and picked up my dog and ran to the truck. I threw my boxer in the bed and jumped in. The dogs continued to try to jump in the bed until they heard their owner yell "Get back here" Once they heard the owner's voice they ran home.
I waited a couple minutes (to catch my breath), secured my dog in the truck and I went to the owners house. After knocking on the door he came out and was surprised that his dogs did this. He said he was sorry. He wrote his phone number on a piece of paper and I limped home (I didn't have my cell phone with me). My clothes were torn up. I went to Urgent Care and they cleaned out the 17 bites and gave me a tetanus shot. My total bill was $25 ($12 co-pay, $13 medicine/pain killers). I went home took some pain killers and slepted.
Today, Sunday, I went to the local Police Station. They said it was a Animal Control issue. I called the number and they will get hold of me tomorrow.
Where would Net 54 members take it from here? I figure my clothes (jeans, hoodie, shoes are torn, $25 in doctor fees, and $40 for sheets). I woke up with blood stains on my sheets. So I figure a couple hunderd dollars that I am out of. But what about scaring? What to do?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

An animal control issue? I've never heard of that. Sounds like the police just didn't want to get involved.

Here in Houston, the pit bull would probably be euthanized. I don't know about the collies.

I would confront the dogs owner and politely ask him to pay for your medical bills and other costs. If he refuses, maybe small claims court?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Brian B

If it was one bite, I would try and work it out with the dog owners. However, you were bit 17 times and imo that deserves some compensation. Once the wounds start to heal, what type of scarring will you have? Will it be short term or lifelong scars? You may want to contact a lawyer just to protect to see what your options are.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Take pictures now, call lawyer tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:20 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I love dogs more than I love most people, but I've got no use for any dog that would just randomly attack someone like that...If one of my dogs ever did something like that, I'd get rid of them immediately...What if the next time it was a old lady or small child that couldn't defend themselves??? "F" that...Can't say I'd personally sue the guy because that's really not in my nature, but if someone sued me because my dog did something like that I'd certainly understand it...Good luck...
Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I love dogs more than I love most people, but I've got no use for any dog that would just randomly attack someone like that...If one of my dogs ever did something like that, I'd get rid of them immediately...What if the next time it was a old lady or small child that couldn't defend themselves??? "F" that...Can't say I'd personally sue the guy because that's really not in my nature, but if someone sued me because my dog did something like that I'd certainly understand it...Good luck...
+1 perfectly said.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Take pictures now, call lawyer tomorrow.
^^^^^do this now!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:42 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Bite by three dogs...what to do?

Sorry to hear of this. For a couple hundred dollars, I would not get a lawyer involved. Not sure about the scarring, however. Document everything, and ask the owner in writing to cover your expenses. If he won't then consider taking him to small claims court.

My own opinion is that any dog (including my own, if it ever happened) capable of this should be put down. One incident of this magnitude is waaay too many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-16-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I was watching the local news tonight and saw this story that reminded me of this thread...

http://abc13.com/news/girl-4-attacke...ground/520757/

I started to say this last night, but I bit my tongue. I'll say it now though. Pit bulls serve no purpose. IMO, they should all be euthanized.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I was watching the local news tonight and saw this story that reminded me of this thread...

http://abc13.com/news/girl-4-attacke...ground/520757/

I started to say this last night, but I bit my tongue. I'll say it now though. Pit bulls serve no purpose. IMO, they should all be euthanized.
That is the most ignorant post that I have seen on this board ever!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
That is the most ignorant post that I have seen on this board ever!
Last year, there were 42 dog-bite related deaths in the US. 27 of those (64%) were by pit bulls. Going back over the last 10 years, that number decreases slightly to 62%. How does one breed account for so many deaths?

So speaking of ignorance, go ahead and tell us what good dogs pit bulls are and how wonderful they are with kids., blah, blah, blah. There is a reason that pit bulls are banned as pets from most apartment complexes. There is a reason most dog rescues/shelters euthanize pit bulls. There is a reason that the majority of law enforcement uses pit bulls over any other breed.

Or just save your ignorant rhetoric before you look more stupid!!!

Edited to add: Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but account for 68% of dog attacks.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-16-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Last year, there were 42 dog-bite related deaths in the US. 27 of those (64%) were by pit bulls. Going back over the last 10 years, that number decreases slightly to 62%. How does one breed account for so many deaths?

So speaking of ignorance, go ahead and tell us what good dogs pit bulls are and how wonderful they are with kids., blah, blah, blah. There is a reason that pit bulls are banned as pets from most apartment complexes. There is a reason most dog rescues/shelters euthanize pit bulls. There is a reason that the majority of law enforcement uses pit bulls over any other breed.

Or just save your ignorant rhetoric before you look more stupid!!!

Edited to add: Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but account for 68% of dog attacks.
Phil was wrong this post is much stupider than the one he quoted because this one also has some made up statistics.

My personal opinion is that it is 100% the dog owners fault and not the dogs no matter what breed it is. Pit Bulls get the bad name because they can be an aggressive breed when owned by people who should not own them.

We have a 2yo American Staffordshire Terrier(supposed to be the worst breed of pit bull). We adopted him a little over a year ago from the same shelter we got our last 2 dogs a St. Bernard and a Rottweiler.

Here is a picture of my Pit Bull from thanksgiving. The Wife and I love him dearly but if he was to ever bite anybody even once he would be dead before the sun set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3944.jpg (66.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Jim H

I had my wife take pictures of me in the parking lot of the Urgent Care. Also, I saved the torn, blood stain clothes. Plus the clothes are covered with pit bull hair. This morning Animal Control called me. They said they are going to put the animals in quarantine for 10 days. If they have rabies they will put them down. If they don't they will return to the owner. Either way, they will let me know.

Today, I took my first shower and counted the bites. It totals 26, the med tech must have missed a couple. Yes, I'm afraid of scarring.

The way I was brought up suing was never in the discussion. So, I don't know if I want to go that route but again I don't want scars. Even though my wife says "Chicks dig scars".

I would like to money back for the clothes but I don't want to go to the owners house.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I believe that dog bites may be covered by homeowner's insurance. (The dog's owner, not yours.) Thus, if you don't feel comfortable talking with the guy about it, you may be able to file a claim with your insurance agent and let them try and collect from the guy. He's obviously going to know you've filed a complaint when they come and get his dogs, so he may want to talk with you about the situation anyway. Good luck brother...
Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
After knocking on the door he came out and was surprised that his dogs did this.
Yeah, they always are.

"Oh my dog would never do that"
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I had a bitch attack me once...oh, wait, that wasn't a dog...sorry.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-17-2015, 01:48 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Jim, I get what you are saying about suing. I would first at least communicate with the owner, by phone or letter or whatever you prefer (I would personally do it in writing, so that it and any response is documented), to see if he will do the right thing by you and cover your expenses - both the immediate clothes and medical, plus reasonable treatment to minimize scarring. Alternatively, and especially if he will not cooperate, Daniel's insurance idea seems like a sound option. This might also have the benefit of them raising his premiums considerably, or dropping him altogether, if he doesn't get rid of these dogs. (My parents once had to put down a much loved, but timid, St. Bernard for similar reasons in the 1970s, after it "merely" snapped at a child who was teasing it i.e. a far cry from what you endured).

Given that the owner made the conscious decision to go with pit bull, over all the 100s of other dog options out there, I am guessing that you may not be dealing with a full deck of cards here, but one never knows. (Yes, I am a dog lover who happily places myself into the "ignorant" category regarding this particular breed, both due to their well-documented aggressive tendencies, as well as for that God-awful song "Timber" he came out with last year.)
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-17-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Jim- I think you have an obligation to do something, because as pointed out, the next person attacked by the dogs may not be as lucky as you. This is potentially a very serious situation.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have never seen so many ignorant statements in one thread. David - you are wasting your time.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I have never seen so many ignorant statements in one thread. David - you are wasting your time.
Scott - My statements are based on facts that I can back up. Others statements are based on....well, nothing.

Here is a great webiste where you can get a lot of non-biased information as it is a non-profit.

http://www.dogsbite.org/

"In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326)."

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-17-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott - My statements are based on facts that I can back up. Others statements are based on....well, nothing.
There is a lot I would like to say here, but you have it covered well, and the pit bull argument is one of the least productive available.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM

I live in Ontario, Canada. Pit bulls must be muzzled whenever they are outside, even if they are in a fenced backyard. Why? Too many brutal attacks by this breed. I agree with David (and clearly the Province of Ontario does as well).

Of course there are probably some loving, docile pit bulls, but these dogs can be very unpredictable.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Dave

Quote:

Here is a great webiste where you can get a lot of non-biased information as it is a non-profit.

http://www.dogsbite.org/

"In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326)."

Really? You can read that site, and with a straight face, tell me it is non-biased because it's non-profit?

The NRA is also a non-profit.

I'm sure that's just an ignorant assumption on my part though.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:11 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Really? You can read that site, and with a straight face, tell me it is non-biased because it's non-profit?

The NRA is also a non-profit.

I'm sure that's just an ignorant assumption on my part though.
The NRA has an agenda.

What is the agenda of the site I linked?

I'll await your response but, after that, I am done with this thread. I apologize the the OP if the thread got derailed. We're forgetting that through all this, there is still someone with some serious dog bite injuries that was just looking for answers on how to proceed.

To the OP, there is some good information on the dogsbite.org website that may benefit you. Here is a link...

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-victim-realities.php
Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
The NRA has an agenda.

What is the agenda of the site I linked?

I'll await your response but, after that, I am done with this thread. I apologize the the OP if the thread got derailed. We're forgetting that through all this, there is still someone with some serious dog bite injuries that was just looking for answers on how to proceed.

To the OP, there is some good information on the dogsbite.org website that may benefit you. Here is a link...

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-victim-realities.php
David, you bit

He has successfully deflected the argument from pit bulls to the NRA. Now you have to defend your views regarding the NRA, and if you can't then that makes you wrong about pit bulls as well.